Fox 36 Van R bottoming..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fox 36 Van R bottoming..

So this is the stock fork on the SX trail II, just rebound, no compression adjustment. The sag is set correctly with the stock spring but i am still bottoming the fork out more than I would like.. would adding a little oil prevent the fork from bottoming? I don't want to go to a heavier spring because I am worried about the ride quality becoming overly harsh.

Thanks guys!

TNC
    noMAD man
    Unfortunately that fork doesn't respond like a Marz on the oil level deal. In fact it might pop the seals out. It still kinda sounds like the wrong spring. On using fork sag for setup, personally I don't find this to always work exactly as the manufacturers suggest. I just usually set mine up to get full travel under the harshest conditions without frequent harsh bottomout and get good small bump compliance. Rear shock setup seems to respond pretty well to sag recommendations, but maybe because the weight bias and geometry differences on the front of many big hit bikes are so varied, the sag setting doesn't always work the same on every bike/fork combo. Try the next step heavier spring.

Premium Member
    Fox's don't have very progressive damping. So it makes sense you're bottoming. Just bump up the preload or go to a stiffer spring.

For '07 Fox's are more progressive (more pressure required to bottom) so that would fix your problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0