fox 36 r tuning- Mtbr.com

Thread: fox 36 r tuning

Trying a little

fox 36 r tuning

I've read a few threads and reviews saying even with stiffest springs the van 36 r is too soft, too much brake dive, blows through travel etc etc so forth and so on.

Anybody found a solution to this?

Has anybody tried heavier fork oil like 15w or 20w?

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    I've read a few threads and reviews saying even with stiffest springs the van 36 r is too soft, too much brake dive, blows through travel etc etc so forth and so on.

Anybody found a solution to this?

Has anybody tried heavier fork oil like 15w or 20w?
    You can't change the fork damper oil easily without proper gear and knowhow. Very difficult compared to a Marzocchi or RochShox forks.

In that regard the 36 forks really suck balls, along with the 40. I'm going to dump my 36r the first sign of it crapping out, get it fixed and just hang it on the wall as backup or for another build.

I think either the Lyrik solo air is going to be next, or one of the new 08 66 forks. Leaning towards the Lyrik though as I like compression knobs on top and solo air provides ability to tune progression. Although the Zoke coil having progression adjustment is also biting at my temptation.

Trying a little
    Quote Originally Posted by MudMuncher
    You can't change the fork damper oil easily without proper gear and knowhow. Very difficult compared to a Marzocchi or RochShox forks.

looks like the proper gear is a 2mm hex wrenches, a socket set, and maybe a rubber mallet.

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm

click on "Simple 36 mm TALAS Dust Wipers & Oil Change"

they say add fox 7wt oil. I was thinking add some 15wt. I don't have a 36 r to try it out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I serviced my 36 per Fox's instructions w/o any problems. I went to 10wt only to find out that is factory spec. Give 15wt. a shot it may increase the bottomout.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    looks like the proper gear is a 2mm hex wrenches, a socket set, and maybe a rubber mallet.

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm

click on "Simple 36 mm TALAS Dust Wipers & Oil Change"

they say add fox 7wt oil. I was thinking add some 15wt. I don't have a 36 r to try it out.
    ok I stand corrected. Although what you point to is the lube oil change which is easy.

This is how you change the damper oil. Seems to me like a lot of things could go wrong. Possible to do yourself, but I still think RockShox has a much easier and dummy proof system.
    http://service.foxracingshox.com/con...ge_Service.htm

Trying a little
    Quote Originally Posted by MudMuncher
    ok I stand corrected. Although what you point to is the lube oil change which is easy.

This is how you change the damper oil. Seems to me like a lot of things could go wrong. Possible to do yourself, but I still think RockShox has a much easier and dummy proof system.
    http://service.foxracingshox.com/con...ge_Service.htm
    maybe I stand corrected - what oil is needed to control the dampening? The main leg oil or this FIT cartridge oil? Is this FIT thing inside the 36 r or is it a rc2 thing ?

Members who have read this thread: 0