Fox 36?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fox 36?

mtbr member
    the talus is light weight and from what i've heard can be ridden on anything for XC to FR. the vanilla is primarily for heavy trail use to DH atleast according to fox's site.

What are you looking at?

New question here. Fox 36?

I'm thinking of getting an 2006 fox 36 TALAS in the fall so I need to ask, Is the fox 36 really as good as the magazines say? everyone says it's awesome at FR but is it good at any kind of XC(because I still like to ride my trails from time to time)? I read that the 36 looses travel some times. Is that true? Is it actually worth the money?

Pics would be awesome.

Thanks!
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

pwn3rator
    they are as good as everyone says but get a 36 vanilla...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

What are you looking at?
    Quote Originally Posted by scabrider
    they are as good as everyone says but get a 36 vanilla...
    Why a Vanilla?
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

What are you looking at?
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfreerider510
    the talus is light weight and from what i've heard can be ridden on anything for XC to FR. the vanilla is primarily for heavy trail use to DH atleast according to fox's site.
    Well I'm really light weight so I think the Talas would be best
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

TNC
    noMAD man

Travel reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by R1D3R
    Why a Vanilla?
    Unless you feel you absolutely need the travel reduction of the Talas system, the Van 36 is a stone reliable fork, whereas the Talas has had some problems with travel sinking and such. Maybe they got it straightened out for '06, and I hope they have, because many like the travel reduction. There is not a great weight difference in these forks, so if travel reduction isn't that big a deal, I'd go with the Vanilla. I've been using a Van 36 RC2 for 2-3 months now, and the thing is awesome. It is stout, rigid, and has awesome damping quality. Mine is on a Bullit now but will probably be on a Nomad in the future.

What are you looking at?
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Unless you feel you absolutely need the travel reduction of the Talas system, the Van 36 is a stone reliable fork, whereas the Talas has had some problems with travel sinking and such. Maybe they got it straightened out for '06, and I hope they have, because many like the travel reduction. There is not a great weight difference in these forks, so if travel reduction isn't that big a deal, I'd go with the Vanilla. I've been using a Van 36 RC2 for 2-3 months now, and the thing is awesome. It is stout, rigid, and has awesome damping quality. Mine is on a Bullit now but will probably be on a Nomad in the future.
    I've heard about this travel loosing problem but is that in the 05 or 06 models?
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Well I'm really light weight so I think the Talas would be best
    How light is light?

The Vanilla comes with 3 springs included:
    Purple - 120 to 150 lbs.
    Blue - 150 to 180 lbs.
    Green - 180 to 210 lbs.

or you can buy:
    Black - <90 to 120 lbs
    Yellow - 210 to >240

And the springs are super easy to change.

What are you looking at?
    Quote Originally Posted by deoreo
    How light is light?

The Vanilla comes with 3 springs included:
    Purple - 120 to 150 lbs.
    Blue - 150 to 180 lbs.
    Green - 180 to 210 lbs.

or you can buy:
    Black - <90 to 120 lbs
    Yellow - 210 to >240

And the springs are super easy to change.
    LOL I think Id be a black spring. How do you change the spring?
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I run the 05 36 RC2 Talas on my 575 and I have had no problems with travel loss. The Talas is a nice feature for those long climbs. As for descents it rocks. The fork eats up everything in its path. I have used it for some pretty aggressive trail riding including some smaller drops, as my bike is not really meant for big hit stuff. I am 6'1" 225 lbs and the 36 mm stanchions and 20mm through axle provide rock solid stability at speed, but very predictable and precise handling in the slower technical stuff. You won't be disappointed.

TNC
    noMAD man

Easy spring change.

LOL I think Id be a black spring. How do you change the spring?
    You remove the left top cap and just swap springs...super easy. I don't go much by those weight charts anyway. I'm 190 and I put in the lighter of the 3 springs that mine came with. I do some small drops and hammer through rock sections with no bottoming on a Bullit. I think you just have to judge it by how your fork works for your riding and your bike.

That travel sinking issue I mentioned is/was a reality for many '05 owners. Many have been mentioned on mtbr. One of our shop guys got an EP'd Specialized Enduro Expert with a Talas 36, and it never maintained its advertised travel. It still worked very well, but it was basically a 5.5" fork. Frankly it may have been a blessing in disquise for some who installed them on 5" rear travel bikes, as it took the edge off of the potentially slack geometry issue. The Van 36 gets 6.3" of travel, and it gets all of it if you have it set up right. If I recall the '06 Talas 36 got its travel upgraded a bit, and perhaps Fox got a better handle on that travel loss issue. You asked for a pic in your original post, didn't you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What are you looking at?
    So does the 36 Talas or van have good bottom out resistance even with the recemended amout of sag?
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

TNC
    noMAD man

I'd say yes.

So does the 36 Talas or van have good bottom out resistance even with the recemended amout of sag?
    I was concerned about these forks not having the capability of using oil level to control bottomout like Marz forks, so I got the RC2 model with external compression adjustments. I figured worst case scenario would be to adjust the low and/or high speed compression if the fork easily bottomed...not the best solution, but better than no solution. Even with a stage softer spring than recommended for my weight, bottoming has not been an issue. These 36s have a cone installed in the damping leg that controls bottomout to a large degree. This cone can be replaced by Fox in an extreme situation where a rider needs that. I've been impressed that I get all my travel and haven't experienced any solid feel or noise from the usual bottomout episode. The guy at our shop who had the 36 Talas never experienced any harsh bottoming either...probably helped by the fact that it is an air fork.

Another festivus MIRACLE!
    I have an 06 Fox 36Talas, and it's work of art. It is stiff, light, and has amazing damping. It has excellent bottom out resistance too. I'm 210lbs and FR with it with no problem. Doing the same things with Enduro Expert as I was with big Bullit. Get it.

Other forks I've ridden:

03 Z1 FR
    03 super T
    04 z150
    03 Boxxer
    06 Fox36 (best IMO)

If you are doing XC stuff with you bike, Talas is crucial for climbing long distances IMO. When I climb w/o locking down the fork, I notice it bigtime. If you are just doing FR, then the Fox 36 Van is the ticket. But I'm telling ya, this 36Talas is better than I expected. I was originally going to ride the 36Talas for a bit b/f changing it to the 36Van, but now I would never do that, b/c of the perfomance and ability to shorted travel.

Good luck.

What are you looking at?
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit71
    I have an 06 Fox 36Talas, and it's work of art. It is stiff, light, and has amazing damping. It has excellent bottom out resistance too. I'm 210lbs and FR with it with no problem. Doing the same things with Enduro Expert as I was with big Bullit. Get it.

Other forks I've ridden:

03 Z1 FR
    03 super T
    04 z150
    03 Boxxer
    06 Fox36 (best IMO)

If you are doing XC stuff with you bike, Talas is crucial for climbing long distances IMO. When I climb w/o locking down the fork, I notice it bigtime. If you are just doing FR, then the Fox 36 Van is the ticket. But I'm telling ya, this 36Talas is better than I expected. I was originally going to ride the 36Talas for a bit b/f changing it to the 36Van, but now I would never do that, b/c of the perfomance and ability to shorted travel.

Good luck.
    and you havent had any travel loss with the 06 36 Talas?
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

Another festivus MIRACLE!
    and you havent had any travel loss with the 06 36 Talas?

Not so far. No travel loss. Perhaps they fixed that this year....

What are you looking at?
    So has anyone had problems with the 06 Talas? or is it still to early?
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've had my 06's for about a month now and have yet to see any signs of travel loss other than when I have the travel reduced. Right now it's on my 05 Cowan so it's mostly being run in 4-5 inches but I have put it to 6 regularly to make sure it still goes to 6 and holds it. I'm planning on getting a PrestonFR this month so the fork will be in 6 in mode most of the time so we'll see how it holds up.

banned
    yo, Fife... that steer tube looks a little short. don't like using spacers, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    You asked for a pic in your original post, didn't you.

I got a VAN 36 late summer, shortly after a friend built his Blur 4X with a 36 TALAS. He's a good rider whose judgment I trust, he raved about the TALAS.

I think the real deciding factor should be whether you want air to match your air rear damper, and whether you want to be able to knock the fork down a bit for climbs.

TNC
    noMAD man

I got yer fife right here!

Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    yo, Fife... that steer tube looks a little short. don't like using spacers, eh?

I got a VAN 36 late summer, shortly after a friend built his Blur 4X with a 36 TALAS. He's a good rider whose judgment I trust, he raved about the TALAS.

I think the real deciding factor should be whether you want air to match your air rear damper, and whether you want to be able to knock the fork down a bit for climbs.
    Hey Knolly boy, maybe I should give you that badge, and you can be the steerer police...Bwaaaaaah! Yeah, the first thing I wanted to do on an $800 fork was cut the steerer too short before deciding which stem, spacer, and handlebar setup was ideal. Besides...I thought it made a good cup holder hanger. I submit this second pic for your approval, officer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    what? all those beautiful spacers, GONE? that knee/chest/chin-killing protrusion, GONE?

man, have you lost your senses?

(I did the same with my Firefly Plus, didn't ever cut the steerer, just spaced it out and then put a Roach stem pad on top. there were about 1" of spacers above and below the stem)

What are you looking at?
    So how does the 36 compare to the Nixon?
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    So how does the 36 compare to the Nixon?
    Check out the August (i think) issue of MBA and they have a shootout article between the Fox 36, Marz 66, and the Nixon. The Nixon came in last. Don't quite remember the reasons but one of them was for one of the adjustment knobs falling off on the trail and in general the Marz and the Fox outperformed the Nixon.

Members who have read this thread: 0