Fox 2012 Sneak peak, Kashima everywhere, 34mm series, 1 piece Ti crown...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fox 2012 Sneak peak, Kashima everywhere, 34mm series, 1 piece Ti crown...

A few pictures i found on Rotorburn, no official word yet, just a few pictures and small descriptions. Ill let the pics do the talking.

EDIT: Posted on sicklines
    https://www.sicklines.com/2011/04/18...and-evolution/

Highlights:

- Kashima has found its way onto the Float, DHX Air and RC4 shocks
    - New 34mm series for the 29'er crowd
    - New Top end Float fork will feature a one piece investment cast Titanium Steerer and crown (Read VERY expensive...
    - Fox now using SKF seals on their forks

New one piece investment cast Crown/Steer on the high end 26inch 32 series, reportedly around 2.9 lbs uncut

Kashima coat on all the rear shocks, also some update to the RP23 propedal, flick the switch towards the air valve, shock is in a state of near lock out, then flicking it back you have 3 levels of propedal

New 29'er only 34 series, upto 140mm travel

New SKF seals used throughout the lineup (SKF on the left, old version on the right...)

meow meow
    too bad 34mm isnt available to 26ers. i think it would be a nice compromise for someone like me who wants longer travel but doesnt need the heft of a 36.

funny how the new shocks bear a very similar resemblence to the shocks suntour has been putting out.

T.W.O
    What a travesty.

Capricious youth...
    Seen that Kashima coating come off on certain forks. Not a fan.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3

Interesting...especially since its impregnated within the metal and not coated on it which means that you would have also seen the stanchion disintegrating . . .

Elitest thrill junkie
    So those are the latest "not-really-a-true-oil-seal-with-a-snap-ring", sweet!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

GAME ON!
    sweet shocks. me want.

Some Assembly Required
    Oh yeah !!! Kashima coating iz th *****e!!! wonder can we get some Kashima coated condemz....???
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Some Assembly Required

Hmmmm....my 180 Talas has been grindin against my Dakine pick-up pad for awhile now w/o even a blemish....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fox 2012 Sneak peak, Kashima everywhere, 34mm series, 1 piece Ti crown...-dirty-fawx.jpg  

"Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

banjo plunker, wrench
    I sure wish I would have had some of that thar Kishima coating on my knee and shin this past Sunday! LOL

@manw/one hand....nice pic!
    any time spent riding a bicycle is re-cycled goodness....

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    Hmmmm....my 180 Talas has been grindin against my Dakine pick-up pad for awhile now w/o even a blemish....
    that might say more about your dakine pad than the kashima. i have kashima but i haven't ridden it enough to judge.

mtbr member
    So sick looking...

Capricious youth...
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand

All I'm saying is my buddy sent his fork back due to some stanchion issues, and it was the Kashima coating that was rubbing right off the stanchion.

Don't roll your eyes at me, son.

Meh.

mtbr member
    I also have heard and seen cases where the Kashima has flaked off, not only on MTB forks, but in the Moto industry aswell

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Anybody with photo evidence of the damage to the Kashima coat or flaking? Its not that I dont believe you guys, I am just curious to see this. Is it like the black coating on the manitou travis when it wears off?

GAME ON!
    All I'm saying is my buddy sent his fork back due to some stanchion issues, and it was the Kashima coating that was rubbing right off the stanchion.

sir, i say sir, i doubt your credibility, sir. only people who lie and have something to hide wear fake moustaches.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    sir, i say sir, i doubt your credibility, sir. only people who lie and have something to hide wear fake moustaches.

that's his disguise when he is banging your girl
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I've seen it on the Kowa fork (peeling or flaking)...will try to get a pic of it.
    Folangag

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    that's his disguise when he is banging your girl
    he can have her. she limits me to 2 bikes.

brake later, pedal sooner
    https://www.railmaster.net/kashima.jpg

flake?? not sure.. bike/fork sold now.. but it was like that for a while with no problems..

J:

Can you describe how it looks? Is it a small patch of little white specs where you can see through the kash??
    video=youtube;][/video]...

Some Assembly Required

Kashima coating is a bit misleading nomanclature, it is actually impregnated into the metal, i believe. Dakine padz will rub th powder coating/anadozation off of lowers w/o batting an eye but it has yet to make a scratch on my stantionz.

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by swaneedawg
    I sure wish I would have had some of that thar Kishima coating on my knee and shin this past Sunday! LOL

@manw/one hand....nice pic!

It would've help a bit I think, maybe try th knee & shin guardz you left at home next time. Killer ride though. You know I wonder if'n it would'a helped my thigh when it bounced off'n that rock layin in th creek bed.....probly not...

Capricious youth...
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG
    Can you describe how it looks? Is it a small patch of little white specs where you can see through the kash??
    Maybe I misspoke then, as the "coating" isn't really a coating and can't really rub off. It was simply worn down. Like some of the stanchions on my old Shermann forks back in the day if some sort of crud got stuck in the seals and started to ever-so-slightly wear off the coating on the outside of the fork.

Sorry for any confusion there, folks.

Saturnine... my mustache is on the real. Don't deny that you like it.
    Meh.

GAME ON!
    Saturnine... my mustache is on the real. Don't deny that you like it.
    yeah, $70 for a moustache ride is a little much. i know the economy is **** and your worthless american greenback somehow creates inflation, but come on!

J:

hair piece

Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf
    https://www.railmaster.net/kashima.jpg

flake?? not sure.. bike/fork sold now.. but it was like that for a while with no problems..

Must have missed this last night.. that's what mine looks like except 5-6 smaller ones close together. *Still rides fine though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB5H...tailpage#t=18s
    Last edited by Deerhill; 04-23-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    video=youtube;][/video]...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    To his discredit, I also know the scumbag with the fork and can say without a doubt that he has probably put more miles on that thing than most anyone.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Flaking off started about two months ago.. progressively worse to both sides.. Sent it out today to Fox.. I'll hear back soon...
    2011 Reign, Fox rp23, 2012 Fox 36 Talas 160, Crossmax Sx, Sram X9 2x10 Group, XO brakes, Easton Havoc Bars (nice and wide!!)

mtbr member
    ^That's 2012, too.
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

mtbr member
    So how much did you pay for that fork? I would be pissed right about now. Hopefully Fox takes care of you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I paid a Pretty penny and ya its a 2012.. needless to say a little t-'d off... but i'll wait and see what they say. On a side note it did not cause any leaking or performance issues..
    2011 Reign, Fox rp23, 2012 Fox 36 Talas 160, Crossmax Sx, Sram X9 2x10 Group, XO brakes, Easton Havoc Bars (nice and wide!!)

Freetard.
    That TI crown looks sexy as. Like the Kashima too, I just don't want to know what the price is gonna be
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Those cables on the Socom look flexy

mtbr member
    edit
    Last edited by J-Ha; 12-15-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by killrdanasurfer View Post
    I paid a Pretty penny and ya its a 2012.. needless to say a little t-'d off... but i'll wait and see what they say. On a side note it did not cause any leaking or performance issues..
    Any follow-up info.....?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    too bad 34mm isnt available to 26ers. i think it would be a nice compromise for someone like me who wants longer travel but doesnt need the heft of a 36.

funny how the new shocks bear a very similar resemblence to the shocks suntour has been putting out.
    to make it 34 they would have to use more metal to give it strength....it really doesn't matter for weight difference so the 36 is not an issue
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I love Fox forks, and have used them for years now.... but that new fork is one of the UGLIEST I've ever seen in my entire life. I mean I know it's about function and not all about looks, but gosh... that thing looks disgusting.

Why aren't you riding????
    I guess a fancy, up-charge coating is how fox has to deal with more complicated valving? Seems like snake oil to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by offtheedge View Post
    I guess a fancy, up-charge coating is how fox has to deal with more complicated valving? Seems like snake oil to me.

Mybe if they just used open oil bath designs.... it'd be a lot better.

Cough Cough: Marzocchi
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That was my original thinking too. I did demo a nice Ibis Mojo HD with the kashima shock and I cant say I noticed any real substantial difference between it and my RP23 on my Yeti, but I wasn't really trying to notice a difference I guess. Just ride!

Why aren't you riding????
    Quote Originally Posted by dzilla View Post
    That was my original thinking too. I did demo a nice Ibis Mojo HD with the kashima shock and I cant say I noticed any real substantial difference between it and my RP23 on my Yeti, but I wasn't really trying to notice a difference I guess. Just ride!
    My point exactly. If I need a latest greatest coating to make my $1k fork feel smooth(er) than I'm going to start looking elsewhere. When a 55RC3 Ti can be picked up for less than half and is comparable in weight I'm seriously thinking of not having a Fox on my trail bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0