Fork questoin- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fork questoin

For Those About To Ride

Fork questoin

How much travel do you use just by bouncing hard on the bike?
    Last edited by shook_dh; 01-28-2006 at 09:28 PM.

Pro Crastinator
    about 3/4 of the travel......

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    about 3/4 of the travel......
    5 3/4 inches
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    5 3/4 inches
    5.75 in

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    5.75 in
    no 5 3/4 inches man
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    about 2/3 travel

mtbr member
    it depends. on my urban assault hardtail with 100mm of travel- about 30mm or less(thats still pretty plush for most people.). on downhill freerride bikes- more. on a 200 mm travel fork- 100mm, half. for freerding you want it setup really plush. for street, dj- stiffer.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    it depends. on my urban assault hardtail with 100mm of travel- about 30mm or less(thats still pretty plush for most people.). on downhill freerride bikes- more. on a 200 mm travel fork- 100mm, half. for freerding you want it setup really plush. for street, dj- stiffer.
    sounds like you are talking about setting up the proper sag, he asked how much travel you use by hard bouncing. if you are talking about hard bouncing and you are only using that much travel on your forks, they are not set up corectly......

For Those About To Ride
    k good because everyone tells me my fork is too soft but i use about 3/4 travel by bouncing hard and i bottom once or twice during good rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    sounds like you are talking about setting up the proper sag, he asked how much travel you use by hard bouncing. if you are talking about hard bouncing and you are only using that much travel on your forks, they are not set up corectly......
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm only 125lbs. And you say that if I'm only using that much travel on BOTH forks and I should be using more, including my street/dj fork, I think you're wrong. Do you expect me to be using 50mm or more on a 100mm street fork just by bouncing hard?? I think not. And I never said that the dh bike was mine, i said "on a dh/fr bike" I just tried one at my lbs. It wasn't set up for a 125lbs. person but I understand your confusion regarding that part of my post.

www.ntxbmx.com
    Jun 2005
    I used less than than on a 2foot drop of my old fork after I added more oil, it felt a lot better than having the fork feel like it was going to bottom out.

Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm only 125lbs. And you say that if I'm only using that much travel on BOTH forks and I should be using more, including my street/dj fork, I think you're wrong. Do you expect me to be using 50mm or more on a 100mm street fork just by bouncing hard?? I think not. And I never said that the dh bike was mine, i said "on a dh/fr bike" I just tried one at my lbs. It wasn't set up for a 125lbs. person but I understand your confusion regarding that part of my post.
    www.ntxbmx.com North Texas BMX

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by shook_dh
    k good because everyone tells me my fork is too soft but i use about 3/4 travel by bouncing hard and i bottom once or twice during good rides
    sounds to me like your fork is set up just fine....

unless your fork is set up super stiff, you should be able to almost bottom it with some hard bouncing.....

Glad to Be Alive

sounds perfect...it means you are using ALL of your travel on rides

[email protected] NYC Freerider

they say that cause they all wiegh 135 ib +... you wiegh like 20.

Members who have read this thread: 0