fork problem - help me please...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

fork problem - help me please...

I bought a 888 ata wc 2009 oem fork and It is new.
    I have used it for 4 rides. In the middle of the last ride (that was crosscountry only) i have discovered that the fork was too soft. After the ride i checked ata air pressure and discovered that is was completley empty, and when i push the valve of the ata air pressure air comes out. I blew up the ata air pressure and it seems to be ok .but now i'm not sure that everything is ok, it feels like it's stiffer now. or maybe it will happend again in the middle of a drop or something.
    Do i have to worry? is there something to do? or it will be ok?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    release just a bit of air from the ATA, just press and release right away and see if its soft enough, if not do it again

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    the problem is that in the middle of a ride all the air came out.

Professional Troll
    Well if its leaking enough air to be noticed diring a ride....then it has a leak somewhere. Not uncommon on a 2 year old fork. Trying putting a new valve core on each valve. That's solved the problem on most ata's I've seen. If its not that then the solutions get more complicated. But nothing terribly difficult or expensive 95% of the time. nothing to worry about yet, so you can relax.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    or you can go to sheeeep or CTC and they will also tune the fork for you

Chilling out
    The Marz ATA can work well for long stretches, but it's like a Ferrari in that it does need more maintenance than other things. I've had an ATA fork since 07 and have been really happy with it BUT for that aspect.

There's a couple o-rings that can wear out and allow air to leak out of the main spring.

Two (together) will allow it to leak from the cartridge into the fork leg (one on the piston between pos/neg chambers and one around the shaft between neg/fork-leg), one from the fork leg out altogether (exterrnal to the ata adjuster), one internal to the ata adjuster on the shaft (it's wee-tiny and inside the knob), one external to the ata at the topcap, and of course one at the topcap threads into the crown (which is probably just fine).

If your topcap comes loose, air can leak out of the latter. I've had that happen.

I actually need to source a bunch of o-rings so I can overhaul my ata cartridge. I live in NE PA now and don't have the same access to stuff I had in Austin TX. ;^(

Of course, over the winter I got parts from Renegade and rebuilt my fork as a strictly coil-n-oil RC2x and I couldn't be happier - but then I'm not riding the bike uphill much now either. Weight be damned, the coil-n-oil is a far cry in weight to worry about when I'm switching from single-ply FR tires to Neve 2.7 DH tires.

Back on top, if you're not super comfortable with doing the work yourself, find one of the suspension tuning shops to overhaul the fork for you and repl the rings, change the oil, dust seals, and check the bushings. Probably worth it.

Oh yeah, if the 888 has the same PAR chamber piston mech as the 66, I'd advise getting that checked also when someone is working on the fork. There are those who advise just taking it out, but that's personal choice. You get a marginally larger volume air chamber when you do so, and a simple mechanism, but lose the bottom-out adjustment.

Members who have read this thread: 0