fork for a big guy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

fork for a big guy

i am building up a blindside to be used as a downhill, some freeride rig. my problem is i cant decide on a fork to use. i have a totem now and love it but i dont know if it is the best choice for downill. i have an interest in the boxxer but not sure it will be stiff enough with the skinny tubes. i am 250lbs or more when geared up.. my other choice is 888 rc3. i had bad luck with my last marz fork so i dont know about another one. the fork will be paired with a vivid as of right now. so will a boxxer work with a bigger guy, will a totem make a good downhill fork, or should i split the difference and go 888?

mtbr member
    i would have said go with fox 40's becuase the boxxer's do break their lowwers easerly and you have heard all the bad reviws about the 2008 mazocchi forks? it just seems to make more sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    dont think i can afford the 40.

Glad to Be Alive
    find a 2006 RC2X 888
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

hmmmm
    find an older 888 like SMT said.

one of my friends prolly pushes 275 in all his gear and rides on a 888 with the stiffer springs and it works great for him, doesnt bottom often and is very sturdy according to him

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have a 2008 fox 40 I am thinking of selling, let me know if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BLH2
    I have a 2008 fox 40 I am thinking of selling, let me know if you are interested.
    i my know some one who may be intesested in the for 40
    ]

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    send me a pm if interested

mtbr member
    2006/2007 888 RC2X

the 2008 888 RC3 have been holding up relatively well and they feel REALLY good.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    thanks for all the answers, so i am hearing dont get a boxxer, get an older 888 or 40. what about a totem? i have one of those but wasnt sure about it on a downhill bike.

N* Bomber Crew
    Boxxer's do flex contrary to popular belief. Whether or not that bothers you should be the better question. I ride a 888 SLATA (Air 888) and so far its the best of all worlds. Reasonably light but 888 burliness.

If you're not counting grams, get a 888 for sure. The Fox 40 would be a solid choice, however, the 40 is not indestructible. (No fork is for that matter).

Actually I take that last statement back. If you want a MONSTER fork, only one fork to fill the boot: Monster T.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    If you want a MONSTER fork, only one fork to fill the boot: Monster T.

That is a very good point - if you are a big strong guy then you probably will be fine pushing around a 13lb fork like a Monster T. Those things have some of the best damping out there, are crazy smooth, and STIFF.

Bike Ninja |||
    If you are 250lbs, then you have 100lbs on me... if I can feel flex in my boxxer, then you surely will.

Like other have said, 2006/2007 888rc2x FTW.
    The 2008 stuff is pretty nice, but the venerable RC2X is superior IMO.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Will to Win
    Monster T!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am about 250 also and i have a boxxer wc air and it is the sh!t I ride the hell out of it at diablo and plattekill and i have no problem... i have been ridding it for 3 seasons now and love it can't wait till the new one comes out....i would say go boxxer..i had an 888 and a 66 and i had trouble from the start..

mtbr member
    888rc2x 2006/2007 is the safest way to go. Very little issues and very stiff. I'm not that heavy but I break things a lot and they hold up very well. No flexing, breaking or thin stanctions pierced by rocks.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

mtbr member
    Monster T!
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

General Rabble-Rouser
    I would wait for an 09 888 RC3, or try a 2008 888 RC3 if you can make sure that it's not one of the early runs that were problematic with some tolerance issues.

RC3 is a fantastic dampening system, and I really think that Marzo's problems are now behind them

mtbr member
    in fact i do agree with the suggestion for a monster t over the fox 40 they are very stong and proberbly wont let you down
    ]

mtbr member
    May 2007
    alright so heres one, i love the totem but want more travel. so has anyone heard when the new boxxer will be around. same mission control as totem and same tube size as old 888. i have found 07 888 also, but i ride with 2 guys with 888 and it seems every ride they have to fix something.

NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
    2008 sr suntour 888 bomber ? hahaha

i say marzocchi from 2005 - 2007 888 then you should be good.
    DO YOU BUTT QUEEF ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie Wan Kenobi
    2008 sr suntour 888 bomber ? hahaha

i say marzocchi from 2005 - 2007 888 then you should be good.
    sr sun tour????? are you madddd??????
    ]

Slap happy crappiness
    I'm close in weight to you. 235 with gear. I've spent a season on each fork suggested so far. 02 Marz Monster T, 06 Marz 888RC2X, 07 Boxxer WC, and now on an 08 Fox 40RC2. Of the four, I liked the WC and 40 the most. I didn't notice the WC's flex when riding it, though when I picked up the 40 I instantly noticed the increase in stiffness when holding lines in the rough and cornering. The only advantages the WC had over the 40 was it's limitless adjustability and lighter weight. The advantages the 40 offers is stiffness, and slightly better small bump compliance. Both forks are high maintenance, but that shouldn't be an issue to anyone unless you're a lazy SOB who doesn't take care of your high end products.
    If you have any specific questions regarding any of the forks I've ridden, feel free to ask and I'll answer best I can.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Addicted
    May 2006
    Of all the forks that I own my two favoraite performance and maintence wise are the '08 Boxxer WC and my '06 Travis triple Ti's.

I'm sitting at 135lbs geared up and although I can't notice the fork flex when I'm riding, hopping over to a 40 and riding the same line I can feel a difference in chassis stiffness.
    So for you being more than 100lbs heavier I wouldn't recomend the Boxxer.

Now the Travis on the other hand jumps up to beefier stanchions(34mm right?) and it's very plush with the Intrinsic valve ramping VERY nicely. Not only that, but they are also relatively in expensive due to their simple internals.
    I know alot of people will say that manitou is Mani-poo. But really it's a really very nice feeling fork.

I run my Travis forks on larger race courses with choppier sections. The rest of the time I run the Boxxer.

I would suggest looking into the Travis.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i found a 40rc2 but it is white and is listed as OE. what is the difference between OE and aftermarket 40rc2?

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeymas
    i found a 40rc2 but it is white and is listed as OE. what is the difference between OE and aftermarket 40rc2?
    It means the seller took it off a complete build. If it's a 40RC2, its a 40RC2, doesn't matter if it came off a bike, or it's aftermarket.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Brackish
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    find a 2006 RC2X 888

Another vote for this option, or a 2007 (which is the one I have). Great fork for a larger rider, aside from topping up the oil it's worked for me right out og the box (235# with no gear).

Members who have read this thread: 0