which fork??- Mtbr.com

Thread: which fork??

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

which fork??

i own a 08 big hit 1 with the stock marzocchi fork. 160mm. Im looking for opinons on the 2010 marzocchi 66 rc3 $470 on wheel world or a 2011 rock shox domain dual crown $450. this will be used at lift serviced mountains only. any info based on actual experience with these would be great. thanks in advance

Moose Member
    i've only heard good stuff about the domain DCs... if its for gravity riding only then definately go with the domain... its newer and cheaper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    i've only heard good stuff about the domain DCs... if its for gravity riding only then definately go with the domain... its newer and cheaper.
    ...and it's made by Rock Shox. Marzocchi has had some troubles in the recent past with quality. Some say that their woes are over and quality is back but I would wait and see for a while before dropping that kind of money on one. Rock Shox has always made a top notch product.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    Marzocchi has had some troubles in the recent past with quality. Some say that their woes are over and quality is back but I would wait and see for a while before dropping that kind of money on one. Rock Shox has always made a top notch product.
    more internet dribble. Marz had issues 3 years ago, yes. since then there havent been any widespread problems with any of their 2010 or newer forks...unlike the still horribly, unreliable RS products.

go with the 66 RC3. it has a far superior damper

Moose Member
    deadatbirth

why do more WC racers ride Boxxers than 888's?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadatbirth View Post
    more internet dribble. Marz had issues 3 years ago, yes. since then there havent been any widespread problems with any of their forks...unlike the still horribly, unreliable RS products.
    I hope you're right with regard to Marzocchi however what is horribly unreliable about Rock Shox products? Is that not "more internet dribble"? I loved the Marzocchi products I owned (pre said problem years). I think their new stuff looks promising (and aesthetically speaking it's awesome) but I am happy with my Fox products right now. I also loved the Rock Shox products I used to own and ride.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

Come at me bro.
    they are both "new".

marz 2010-2011 are solid.

the rc3 is far better than the domain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I hope you're right with regard to Marzocchi however what is horribly unreliable about Rock Shox products? Is that not "more internet dribble"? .
    ive been on a 2010 Evo Ti Works for over 2 years with zero issues. and everyone i know who has one, has had nothing but good luck with them. i had a 2008 and 2009 888 ATA and they were junk.
    RS products are still coming with little to no oil and or grease from the factory and have reliability issues with dampers. thankfully their CS is amazing...but then again, it has to be with the amount of problems we see

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Moosey, if you actually rode a newer marzocchi you would not be hating on them. I can guarantee you there will be many wc riders on 888s next year seeing as how the ti version is the lightest and arguably the best feeling coil sprung fork on the market. I used to have a domain (the SC version but it still shares the same damping as the DC) and replaced it with a 2010 66 RC3 this year. The dampening on the 66 is VASTLY superior. No comparison. You haven't ridden either fork and formulating an opinion on them based on what brand most wc riders are on is just nonsense.

mtbr member
    Well Hikerguy, it seems as if this thread has turned into another, "this brand is better than this brand" forum. I apologize for my contribution to the madness.

Out of those two choices, I would go with the domain. A dual crown fork is inherently stiffer than a single crown but is also heavier. Since the lift will be doing the climbing for you, this is probably not a huge issue and the extra stiffness may be of benefit if you are into some of the gnarlier stuff available on many resorts. I have heard rave reviews about the domain dc and for the money, it seems that Rock Shox hit a home run.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

Locs on Spokez
    Rock Shox has always made a top notch product.

Hahahahahahah You Wish
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggz View Post
    Hahahahahahah You Wish
    stop bringing some sense into this thread

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i dont ride super nasty stuff i'm just looking for a good reliable fork. not requiring constant maintenence. ive read in a few placing the boxxer needs rebuilds to keep the stantions from sticking. i wonder if the domain is similar in this aspect? any of you riding the 66 know how much maintenence needs to be done?

mtbr member
    deadatbirth

why do more WC racers ride Boxxers than 888's?
    Maybe because more riders were sponsored by RS than Marz.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerguy98 View Post
    i dont ride super nasty stuff i'm just looking for a good reliable fork. not requiring constant maintenence. ive read in a few placing the boxxer needs rebuilds to keep the stantions from sticking. i wonder if the domain is similar in this aspect? any of you riding the 66 know how much maintenence needs to be done?
    They are very low maintenence. I've had close to 25 days of lift riding on my 66 this season and its working just as good as when it was new, if not better since its broken in. Even if you ride it hard it all it should really need is a rebuild at the end of each season. The domain DC is the same chassis as the boxxer just with heavier materials. While it is a very reliable fork (especially the R model because its so damn simple there is almost nothing that can go internally wrong) it will require more upkeep than a marzocchi offering and I can guarantee you it will not feel as plush. There is a reason the 66 retailed for significantly more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    the domains are cheap and just keep on ticking.. seriously underrated fork.

But with that said, the 10 onwards Marz, are amazing. honestly i dont think you go wrong with either.

the Rc3 Carts are worlds better then the domains tho.

Members who have read this thread: 0