Which fork???- Mtbr.com

Thread: Which fork???

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Which fork???

Help,
    Considering purchasing a new fork for my Commencal Supreme (miniDH).
    I weigh 220lbs straight out of the shower. I primarily ride at Bromont with a trip somewhere big each year.
    The fork I have presently is a 36 Talas RC2 which was just completely rebuilt (new everything). I am going to keep the 36 for days when I am self propelled.
    I am looking into either a 2010 Totem with the DH damper or a 2010 Marzocchi 66 RC3 Ti.
    What are people's experience and what would you suggest? Or should I spend the extra money for a Fox 36 Van 180mm?

Thank you in advance and Happy New Year.

Eric

mtbr member
    Or should I spend the extra money for a Fox 36 Van 180mm?

I would.
    Do you feel lucky? do you, punk?- Dirty Harry

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I went from a 160 Float 36 to a Totem and am very happy with it. Havent heard anything bad about the new 180 Fox forks though either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Or, sell the old Talas and get a 2011 Talas 180mm.

140mm when climbing and 180mm when bombing down the hill!!!! Works perfect for me!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Selling is not really an option as I am hopefully building a dedicated trail bike, which the 160mm Talas will be used with.

Thanks for the replies.

Eric

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    I had a 2010 66rc3. Hands down the best fork iv riden. It took a minute to get it dialed, but when I did, Damn!

Totem is a great fork also but the damping wasnt on par with the 66rc3. I do think the chassis is better though.

Fox is over rated and over priced. It might be because everything fox iv owned has gone south quick and never performed like I wanted.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."

3 "fiddy" for short
    I've got a 2010 Fox 40 for you. The travel can be reduced on it to match what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Fox 36 180 van rc hands down....
    Rode both the 2011 66 and the totem and between them the new 36 is the best production fork Ive run to date...

1- Mid speed so it doesnt dive during braking and it doesnt dive in the face of a jump
    2- Hydraulic bottom out built in as well as the fit cart actually contends with a bigegr rider then previous years
    3- Doesnt have the for and aft sway of the 160mm 36s and its the lighter of the bunch
    4- The adjustments work amazing best range Ive dialed to date they do everything really well.
    5- The kashima is super smooth

Not a sales pitch I run custom tuned stuff but play with alot of the stuff out there so I can keep a solid handle on stuff or Id feel I missed out on something... Im glad I bought the new fox, I was hesitant and said screw it... Cleared the brain of the little issues I had with Fox and I am seriousley glad I have time on that fork....

The new marzocchi 66 is rockin for sure, as is the Totem but the 36 just has this feel to it that makes you want to rip and it tracks amazing...

Bottom line: You can go wrong either way the 36, 66 and the totem are all top tier single crowns. The 66 and totem will be stiffer but thats not always an advantage I like a little flex for my fork to track and not deflect constantly.

They all have good damping and tuning if I had to choose one its the new fox.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    cant really comment on the new 2011 180 fox but i only hear good reports about them, unlike marzocchi and rockshocks, the 2010 66's seem to have the same ongoing reliability issues as the previouse years models, personally i would stay well clear but thats just my opinion, the 2010 totem seem to be geting mixed reviews, some guys love them and others seem to be having problems, that was enough to put me off buying them, (as we had problems with totem solo air's before. i know the coil are supposed to be better, but i didnt want to take a chance,)
    i ended up going for the bos ndee these are bloody expensive but they work, they are very simple to set up basic setting and adjustment, you need a screwdriver to adjust them, they are super plush and butter smooth, and the service intervals on them is great too. i am very impressed with them, hope this helps. good luck with your choice mate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    bullcrew,

Thanks for the comments. I am not sure that my abilities to decipher the differences between forks is at the same level as you.
    What it comes down to is if the Fox is worth the extra $500 over the 66 and $400 over the Totem.
    I definitely like the fact that there is less sway than my 36. Being a heavier rider, I am looking for something that is stiff, probably why both the 66 and Totem interest me.

delirian,
    Don't think the budget is going to stretch to a Bos. Knowing that you ride at Whistler for most of the summer says that is should be able to take the abuse, but the budget is definitely not there.
    I have not found much info concerning the 2010 66 having problems. I thought that most of the troubles had been solved. Are the problems with the Totem still leaking seals. That can be solved with Enduro seals, or are there other problems?

Thanks,
    Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rugbyred
    bullcrew,

Thanks for the comments. I am not sure that my abilities to decipher the differences between forks is at the same level as you.
    What it comes down to is if the Fox is worth the extra $500 over the 66 and $400 over the Totem.
    I definitely like the fact that there is less sway than my 36. Being a heavier rider, I am looking for something that is stiff, probably why both the 66 and Totem interest me.

delirian,
    Don't think the budget is going to stretch to a Bos. Knowing that you ride at Whistler for most of the summer says that is should be able to take the abuse, but the budget is definitely not there.
    I have not found much info concerning the 2010 66 having problems. I thought that most of the troubles had been solved. Are the problems with the Totem still leaking seals. That can be solved with Enduro seals, or are there other problems?

Thanks,
    Eric

Is it a solid fork for sure but if its a $ issue and there's that big a difference then im going to say no. Totems and 66s are good units and the $500 difference could be better spent for trips.lift tickets other parts....

Hell take the difference and use it on a gene hamilton ride clinic what you get there will be alot more beneficial than the difference between the forks..

It does kick but but not $500 more...lol
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Does anyone know the max rider weight for the 66 stock spring? I have found a lot of info concerning being a light weight but nothing stating anything about being heavier?
    How much preload would need to be or can be added before needing a new spring?
    Don't want to spend the cash on a Ti fork to have to purchase a heavier spring.
    Thanks,
    Eric

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I wouldnt worry about being too heavy for the 66 In fact, I dont even think you can buy a different weight spring because with the ability to add air to the RC3 along with coil preload, you can set it up for nearly any rider weight by adding or removing a few psi/clicks of preload. At least, thats what I was told when I emailed marzocchi a few weeks ago.

Members who have read this thread: 0