Forearms going numb- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Forearms going numb

Long story short my forearms sometimes get tingly on the outer bottom like following the pinki back when bombing downhill. Just wondering if its cause of the vibration or something because it doesn't feel as bad as my hardtails vibration but I also dont go nearly as fast downhill and this doesn't happen.

Slap happy crappiness
    Relax your death grip on the bars, set up your levers properly, square away your cockpit and controls in general. Basic setup can be a big factor when it come to arm pump and fatigue. Also remember to relax between rough sections when you can.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

dirt visionary
    I get the same tingly numbness every once in awhile while on the bike but more in everyday activies. Mine is attributed to pinched nerves in my back.
    There also has been times I have had numb arms/hands from the combination of my pressuer suit and riding bag being too tight. When I go for trail rides I adjust my back as I am not using body armor but then I forget to readjust when I get back on the dh rig.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Mine tingle and sting its bad back (back injuries x4) and broken tail bone as well.... Saddle does it for me time to time.

Best thing is adjust position like stated above grip and reach as well, all this helps...
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

dirt visionary
    Yup forgot to mention that saddle position has done it also.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Try ergon grips, they work for some people.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR
    Relax your death grip on the bars, set up your levers properly, square away your cockpit and controls in general. Basic setup can be a big factor when it come to arm pump and fatigue. Also remember to relax between rough sections when you can.
    all that, and get off the brakes....(brake harder and then stay off (off/on instead of slow dragging) and ride more
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    All of the above and also when you are off the bike, sat watching tv, pretending to work... Get a squash ball and keep squeezing, I don't know how it works, but over time it helps!

cbc
    Bullit Rider
    Apr 2006
    Perhaps check the angle of the bars too? I've noticed that my hands will have issues with certain angles. The outer parts will hurt if the bars are angled too far forward, and likewise the portion near my thumbs will hurt if they are too far back.

It took me like 2 months of riding to get everything just *right* on my bike. Good luck!

Clay

Living the High Life
    Lots of people were spot on with braking and bar ergonomics. It is also a strength issue. I spent a winter in a rock climbing gym a few years ago, arm issues went away.

My fingers still ache after a full day, but moving around the brake levers and turning up the HSC reduced it a great deal.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

meow meow
    it think above all poor arm strength and white knuckling it will tire out your arms. but dont neglect your controlls either.

Underskilled
    ergon grips, strength training and plush suspension.

I did all 3 problems went.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Normally you get some tickling on your arms after a long descend.
    Vibration+shock = to muscle fatigue... it's normal.

Normally numb hands are related to smashing the nerve (don't recall the name! Sorry) that goes from your arm to the hand.

You can have a disc in your vertebra being in bad place... but normally that gives you numbness while your seating and not DH.

Like all told:
    try the position... normally I see people using saddles pointing to high... or low nose.
    Brake levers that looks like they're not suppose...

Personally, I have my saddle nose pointing a little down, in order to have a paralell to the ground while seated (saged).
    and the brake levers with the same angle has I have with my arms (parallel).
    post your improvements!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Having the appropriate thickness grip is important as well. I've got big hands and I can not run small grips, my hand compresses too much and causes me pain. Also, as people mentioned, the position of your bar rotated forward/back makes a big difference as well as brake lever position both in/out on your bars and rotationally.

J:
    Yep, once you get that bar angle right, you will know what stem you need. Get one of those grippers to build strength

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    mine are like that because my grips are too thick

Glad to Be Alive
    try "death grip" masterbaiting more ...that always helps and if you get caught ...just say you are "training"
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    What I do before enduro MX point to point races and when i go ride resorts is hydrate big time a week before, like a 1.5 gallons a day, plays a big role in arm pump and blood flow. Also advil or alcohol thins your blood and lets it flow better to white knuckles/ tensed up arms.

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by mexi mike
    What I do before enduro MX point to point races and when i go ride resorts is hydrate big time a week before, like a 1.5 gallons a day, plays a big role in arm pump and blood flow. Also advil or alcohol thins your blood and lets it flow better to white knuckles/ tensed up arms.
    You sure Advil thins the blood? I know aspirin does but not sure about Advil.
    I used to know a girl who raced pro who'd take a 2 shots of vodka and 2 aspirin before her race run... yikes.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR
    You sure Advil thins the blood? I know aspirin does but not sure about Advil.
    I used to know a girl who raced pro who'd take a 2 shots of vodka and 2 aspirin before her race run... yikes.
    yea, that's what I meant.

Underskilled
    the two nerves for numbness are your ulnar nerve for the little finger and ring finger and median nerve for the other two.

You do not want to damage these nerves, trust me.

I have a damaged ulnar nerve. The ulnar nerve is also known as funny bone. It feels like I have hit my funny bone, but for about 3 months now. Numb tingly ultra sensitive fingers pain in the arse.
    Not as bad as median nerve though.
    Common route of failure on that one is carpal tunnel syndrome, good by to using that arm for a few months.

make your suspension more plush, vibration damages nerves and it is fking painful.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Members who have read this thread: 0