floating bb- Mtbr.com

Thread: floating bb

mullet man
    Jan 2005

floating bb

What about the new floating bb by mongoose. I know there a crapy company but ive herd good reviews on the new black dimond. I was jus wondering if any one has any coments on it.

DOME Freeride Mafia
    Here's my comment: Mongoose bikes=crap. There was a day when they were good bikes (RIP Schwinn). Save your cash and get something that won't break on your first ride.

mullet man
    Jan 2005
    i thought about build a banshee but i dont have that kind of cash and i need a bike quick i cant stand it

DOME Freeride Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by 50freerida
    i thought about build a banshee but i dont have that kind of cash and i need a bike quick i cant stand it
    I'm sure you can hold out for something better. Check out the classifieds here on mtbr - there are some sweet deals. Yeah, it might not be new, but at least you have assuaged the potential for throwing your money down the drain.

mullet man
    Jan 2005
    for some reason i like this bike good parts yes frame is a big iff and it cheap real cheaphttp://www.mongoose.com/bikes/detail.php?brandLine=Pro_US&brandID=39 look at this link

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus
    Here's my comment: Mongoose bikes=crap. There was a day when they were good bikes (RIP Schwinn). Save your cash and get something that won't break on your first ride.
    ...you cant judge a book by its cover
    Straight outta Compton..............

Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

DREAM THEATER

mullet man
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikity China
    ...you cant judge a book by its cover
    thats right what do you think about the bike not mongoose

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    thats right what do you think about the bike not mongoose
    "pinkbike.com - Interbike coverage 10/04: "Nice looking bike, with a much different rear suspension than the usual. The FreeDrive suspension is of course, supposed improve on all the deficiencies of other suspension designs. Big claim, and nothing you could determine in a single ride. Here is an informative technical quote from D-Roque after riding it 'This feels weird! But itís good' If in fact it turns out to be a working, effective and durable bike, than at the price point it will be much more than just good. Looking forward to getting a little more acquainted with that suspension design.'"

like it says, its a new suspension design and if the frame is durable and the suspension proves itself worthy among other suspension designs, then it'll turn out to be a pretty nice ride.

but don't go out and buy it right away, find some reviews and stuff

personally, i think the bike might turn out to be decent for the price. imo, mongoose had the manpower and money to produce full on mt bikes like kona, specialized, etc. from the very beginning but just didn't. i dont think any of the bikes that they have made before can really speak for the company's quality. now they're just stepping it up

they were just making bikes for the average joes cuz non bikers don't wanna spend 2000+ on a bike. when i tell my non-biking friends that i spent 1700 on my stinky, they tell me im insane

(that was just my opinion, feel free to disagree)
    Last edited by Chikity China; 01-25-2005 at 04:54 PM.

DREAM THEATER

mullet man
    Jan 2005
    I kno how you feel my friend that are non riders tell me im insane for spending a lil over 2000 on my bmx bike, cuz thats the back ground im comimg from iv only been riding these 26 in wheeld beast for a few years now. I got most of my skills from a 20 incher that i still ride to this day im not looking for a top of the like bike but smothing in the midded. Smothing i can take off a lil stuff nothing over 25 foot thats heally big to me with a good landing It will be fine it has some good part. Im going to try and find some reviews on it there none on mtbr do you have any other sugg. or bike sugg. in that price range. I dont think that there pro bikes are built by the same ppl as there walmart bikes.

Feeling a little taller
    What about the new floating bb by mongoose. I know there a crapy company but ive herd good reviews on the new black dimond. I was jus wondering if any one has any coments on it.
    Is this a wal-mart special or an LBS sale?

If a department store, you can ride it for 30 days and then return it if it is junk.

If it's a step above, the LBS should let you test ride it both to make sure it fits and that you like the way it rides. If the LBS won't let you take it for a spin (and I'm not talking about in the parking lot) then don't buy it on principle.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    I kno how you feel my friend that are non riders tell me im insane for spending a lil over 2000 on my bmx bike, cuz thats the back ground im comimg from iv only been riding these 26 in wheeld beast for a few years now. I got most of my skills from a 20 incher that i still ride to this day im not looking for a top of the like bike but smothing in the midded. Smothing i can take off a lil stuff nothing over 25 foot thats heally big to me with a good landing It will be fine it has some good part. Im going to try and find some reviews on it there none on mtbr do you have any other sugg. or bike sugg. in that price range. I dont think that there pro bikes are built by the same ppl as there walmart bikes.
    some other bikes in the 2000k range (new) would be:

big hit fsr - you can always trust specialized but some parts not as good as the mongoose (rear shock for example)

kona stinky/ delux - nice bikes, i ride one myself, tough (although a lot of people disagree)

new iron horse freerides - like the one with the japaneseish name and 7point somethings

lots of others

as far as reviews, look at other sites, nsmb etc. magazines.
    also, check out the interbike section of mtbr. i think theres a part on mongoose

DREAM THEATER

mullet man
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    Is this a wal-mart special or an LBS sale?

If a department store, you can ride it for 30 days and then return it if it is junk.

If it's a step above, the LBS should let you test ride it both to make sure it fits and that you like the way it rides. If the LBS won't let you take it for a spin (and I'm not talking about in the parking lot) then don't buy it on principle.
    trust me dude this aint no walmart bile go to www.mogoose.com and go to bikes and then go to mnt dual suspension and look at the black dimond trippel it has some good parts for a mongoose but i dont think its made by the same company ans the crappy wal-mart bikes it has boxxer froks and a fox back shock and a few other things like 8in hyd.disc avid juicy no this aint no wal-mart bike it actually a decent bike for the price.

Former Noob Herder
    the floating BB thing is a revised version of GT's I-Drive (and i believe Mongoose is also controlled by Pacific Cycles). Basically it's an overcomplicated way of making a high single pivot without re-routing the chain.

there are better bikes for the money
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

mullet man
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    the floating BB thing is a revised version of GT's I-Drive (and i believe Mongoose is also controlled by Pacific Cycles). Basically it's an overcomplicated way of making a high single pivot without re-routing the chain.

there are better bikes for the money
    thats kinda what i asked eariler in the thread do you have any sugg on better bikes for the money

Former Noob Herder
    do some searches, plenty of info out there
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

I live to bike
    There may be other bikes better at that price range, but it looks like a decent bike. A friend of mine wishes to get a chance to try one out. The rear end looks like it could be stronger, like it may have some flex, at least for bigger riders. But if it fits, and you can get a chance to test ride one on the dirt before buyiing, it could probably work for you.

silly person
    Dec 2005
    Small gravedig here. I did a small test ride of one today (Teocali Super). That design seems to be pretty promising. It pedals like a monster, doesn't seem to brake jack and actually looks and feels pretty solid. I'm going to go back for another, more rigourous, test ride soon. I was actually going to test a Reign but they didn't have any available. I tested this thing for a laugh and almost put it on layby right then and there.

(No it's not a walmart bike. It's running Fox front and rear, Sram X9 and looks like damn good value for the price) :P