Fishy Dorado....- Mtbr.com
    I ate the Skipper!

Fishy Dorado....

So as some of you may or may not know I got a new dh bike that came equiped with a Dorado. I had ridden the bike before purchase and everything felt great, the fork didnt seem to have any problems and everything looked good.

Well after a couple days of owning the bike I was takign a closer look at the Dorado. I noticed that the left leg didnt seem to have a seal like every other fork. The right side did. So I popped the bike up on the stand and took a closer examination and there was no seal to be found, there is however a rubber bumper or soemthing around the stantion about 1/2" into the fork leg.

The other thing I noticed while compressing the fork that there is a thud about 3-3" into the travel, thud as in a thud feeling not noise. This also concerns me because it could be something major but I am not sure.

The guy I bought it from told me that he would rebuild the fork within the couple days I gave him to take it apart and clean it up the bike. He installed stiffer springs also. I don't have any doubts that the fork was rebuilt because this guy works at my LBS but I am not sure if it was necisarely put back together corectly.

I took some pictures just to give you guys a better understanding on the seal situation. Here is a picture of the bike upside down showing the fork and both legs, keep in mind the fork is upside down thus the fork legs are descripted in the oposite left and right sides:

Right leg with seal:

Left leg without seal:

Theres the pics, hopefully the shot of the left leg without the seal shows you the bumper thing I am seeing.

The guy I bought it from did have some mods done on it by himself like an air assist type thign. I am not really sure exactly what was done.

Anyways.

I suppose I could just buy a pair of Enduro Seals and have a shop rebuild it but I dont want to pay the shop to rebuild it if that thud wont go away. If anyone knows how much a Manitou rebuild is let me know. I could probably send it back to them and ask to just have the whole thing fixed up but I am scared to see how much that will cost me. Any info will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan
    RIP J.D. 8/24/04 RIDE HARD MENG!
    -dAN

Yo Paseo El Scream
    y would it be scary to ask the guy whats wrong, or to tell him that he sold you something that was busted?...
    Banshee Bikes
    Honorary Member Of The 200 Club
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    ..."if i can jump it on my feet whilst running as fast as i can, then it aint worth jumping on a bike"...

I ate the Skipper!
    I am not scared to talk to him, I am scared to see how much Manitou would charge me. I will be talking with the guy Monday but I would like to see what my options are or see if I can figure out whats going on...

Dan
    -dAN

650 yay area
    You are missing a seal... I would talk to the seller about that.

mtbr member
    Ya I doubt he would do that on purpose, but how could you forget to put a seal back on?

I ate the Skipper!
    Ohh and the thud is coming from the left leg, the one also missing the seal. The left leg is the spring leg so the thud might be a result of more then 10cc of oil in there which causes pressure to build up in the fork leg. If not then I do not know what it is....

Dan
    -dAN

mtbr member

Dorado seals

1st off, if this guy told you that the dorado is a fairly new one he is blow smoke up your arse. The Dorado that you own is one of the early Dorado's produced in 2002. The 1st dorado's used two rubber seals and a c-clip on top to hold it in place. It looks like the guy did not want to take out on of the two seals and just installed one of the new evil genius seals. Also, due to the age of the fork it probably has the Foam compensator system which is on the right side of the fork. It needs to be replaced with the new IFP (internal floating piston) system. This will make the fork feel much more consistant and have a much better feel to it.

This is what you need to do in order to get the fork in working order:
    1) get the fork back
    2) take the fork to your local Manitou dealer and have them send the fork in for a rebuild. Manitou only does rebuilds through Manitou dealers, they do not deal consumer direct.
    3) Have Manitou do a full Over-Haul on the fork. This will get the fork rebleed, new seals ( the correct seals), IFP will be installed, bushings will be checked as well for excessive play. Another thing, the left leg has quite a few scratches in it. If you plan on keeping the fork for a while i would suggest getting a new stanchion leg. Reason being is because with the scratches in the legs the semi bath oil will get trapped inbetween them and leak out. plus you'll end up getting a consistant oil bath leak.
    If you want to get this fork taken care of I would suggest you do it asap because Manitou will be able to get it back to you sooner rather than later.

How much did you pay for the fork?
    "If you're not scared, you're not riding fast enough"

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by Logicbike
    1st off, if this guy told you that the dorado is a fairly new one he is blow smoke up your arse. The Dorado that you own is one of the early Dorado's produced in 2002. The 1st dorado's used two rubber seals and a c-clip on top to hold it in place. It looks like the guy did not want to take out on of the two seals and just installed one of the new evil genius seals. Also, due to the age of the fork it probably has the Foam compensator system which is on the right side of the fork. It needs to be replaced with the new IFP (internal floating piston) system. This will make the fork feel much more consistant and have a much better feel to it.

This is what you need to do in order to get the fork in working order:
    1) get the fork back
    2) take the fork to your local Manitou dealer and have them send the fork in for a rebuild. Manitou only does rebuilds through Manitou dealers, they do not deal consumer direct.
    3) Have Manitou do a full Over-Haul on the fork. This will get the fork rebleed, new seals ( the correct seals), IFP will be installed, bushings will be checked as well for excessive play. Another thing, the left leg has quite a few scratches in it. If you plan on keeping the fork for a while i would suggest getting a new stanchion leg. Reason being is because with the scratches in the legs the semi bath oil will get trapped inbetween them and leak out. plus you'll end up getting a consistant oil bath leak.
    If you want to get this fork taken care of I would suggest you do it asap because Manitou will be able to get it back to you sooner rather than later.

How much did you pay for the fork?
    that sucks...

i think he said he paid 350

Are you talking to me?

LogicBike is right.

It needs a factory rebuild, and a new leg, from the look of it.
    gfy