First Time Racer- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

First Time Racer

what protective gear is required for downhill racing - do people race with clipless pedals - or platform?

Living the High Life
    The only thing technically required is a full face helmet. I saw a guy with a skate helmet gets stopped in the gates at Angelfire last year.

Capricious youth...
    Most sanctioned races require some sort of full face. But a lot of local races just require a helmet of anykind.

I used to race clipless, until racing sucked the fun out of it for me. But I rode all summer at Northstar clipped in. I just prefer it.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Get protective gear. All you can wear. It's your first race, the first time you're pressured to go as fast as you can. You'll be out of your element and likely to crash bad.

If you think you can
    There are a lot of guys that race with clips and a lot that race without. That's just personal preferance. A friend of mine says he feels like he is in race mode whenever he's clipped in, and flats are more of a fun pedal for him.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    full face is usually required. everything else...highly suggested. like the guy above said...pressure to go fast for first time on unkown track could equal bad consequences

as for clips, thats rider preference. if you ask around, its about 50/50

mtbr member
    I second zombie's sentiment.
    I ran my first DH race last year and injured myself on the practice run trying to "belong". And with all the cowbell and yelling it can get hectic. Still came in 5th and felt I would have easily placed since I was just trying to get down in one piece during the race itself.
    The pressure suit probably saved me from a broken shoulder. Protective gear is a must IMO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Fullface, eye protection, gloves, knee & shin guards and upper body protection. Not required but highly suggested.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride.

P-51 Crew Chief #38
    Quote Originally Posted by skip canfield
    Fullface, eye protection, gloves, knee & shin guards and upper body protection. Not required but highly suggested.
    Yep if you want to do this for more than a few races wear it all. I have seen new riders come and go from injuries for almost 15 years of riding Northstar. The guys that I have seen come back year after year wear all the gear.
    Balls to the wall until you see god. Turn Left!

Members who have read this thread: 0