First time going to N* this weekend. Need advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

First time going to N* this weekend. Need advice

I'm a bit nervous about it. I ride an 8" bike and clean techy rocky trails like Jamieson Creek near D-Ville, but I don't jump and haven't dropped more than 3 or 4 feet since 2004 when I hurt myself pretty bad on a 10+ footer. What can I expect? What trails should I hit and what should I avoid? I have full upper body armor and a FF helmet I figure I should wear. What do you guys do for water without hydration packs?

I have a gig up there (I play music for a living) and I'll be alone.

Sorry to be such a clueless newbie but all my riding is stuff or shuttles. I've never done lifts before

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Yes, wear the FF and pads.

N* has a cooler with water avail at the top of both lifts usually, and there is another inside the building at mid-mtn (next to the grill).

Just progress up through the Blue/Single Blacks and you should be OK.

Warm up on Mineshaft. Maybe hit Big Trees to Lower Pho Dog next.

There is a 2-3' drop on the "Daytona Berms" section of trail that feeds all the Single Black Diamond trails on the L side back to mid-mountain, but it too has a ride-around (it's just not as easy to see at speed).

Flameout is fun, but you are going to pedal a lot in the middle section.

I don't really jump, so I stay off Livewire. It IS fun though, but it is almost all big berms and jumps. Most of them are forgiving (tabletops).

I can't speak for Sticks and Stones, Karpiel or Dog Bone, but the "Big Daddy" drop on Boondocks has a ride-around and is marked.

Above all: have fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks man. I think I'd be ok on most of the stuff there once I became familiar with the trails, except the bigger drops and jumps. I'll take your advice and work my way up. Gotta stay in one piece for the gig afterwards.

Professional Troll
    Stay off of flameout, except the very top part. The rest of it is a joke of a trail, flat, uphill rockgardens "single black". I don't think I've ever been that angry on resort trail before.

Stick to the Vista side unless you want to hit features and jumps. Big trees and the trails around that are pretty fun. Speed control, manure pile, pho dogg are all really fun.

It is unfortunate though what Northstar has let their biek park deteriorate to. Every trail is just insanely blown out. Every trail needs LOTS of maintenance. I don't think I've ever been on trails that are that rough. There really are no real "blue" singletrack trails anymore. The ones that used to be are either too blown out to ride on anything but a long travel bike, or just so loose and destroyed that they aren't worth trying. Additionally all the features are deteriorating too. Berms are falling apart, lips aren't there on jumps anymore. It's just really sad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You will be fine as 90% of the hard features have ride arounds. Best thing to do is get comfortable on blue trails and go from there... I suggest starting on Coaster then hit Woods from the Gondola. If Woods now is a bit rocky but lots of fun and less traveled than the upper trails. If you feel comfortable on Woods then i suggest hitting Pho Dogg, Play ground and speed control. One thing to note is that there is a big race on Saturday so there may be alot of folks riding. Don't sweat it, N* is a blast......

Glad to Be Alive
    Everything is cool...you will do well...I recommend Heavy drinking and bring extra cash for the call girls...it sucks if you use credit cards and your significant other sees your statements...oh yeah where "ski mask" over your jimmy./...a lot of girls have the clap up there
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Tara Llanes race is this weekend. There will be some trail closures in the am for the XC race, mainly woods, and 6%. The rest of the XC course goes out around Sawmill lake so it shouldnt affect the DH crowd much. The Super D/DH will have practice on it all day saturday and a race on sunday so expect some closures there. Here is a map of the courses.
    http://www.northstarattahoe.com/nsas...course-map.pdf

Rider of Berms
    Don't know why people didn't suggest it, but you can get coaching. Having someone show you the lines and how to ride them safely with proper technique goes a long way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jaisun View Post
    Don't know why people didn't suggest it, but you can get coaching. Having someone show you the lines and how to ride them safely with proper technique goes a long way.
    I will have to agree....had a couple friends take the ride 101 class and they said it helped alot. They said the instructors were great and it only costs $15.

Members who have read this thread: 0