first hop- Mtbr.com

Thread: first hop

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

first hop

thanks to the guys on this forum , i finally did my first bunny hop today .... but its not really high enough.... i discovered that the higher the front wheel goes, the higher the rear one goes too...so how do u pull up the front to that the rear clear like a 30 cm curb?? still stuck on spds though ... going to get platforms soon....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Just lean back more, alot of people are afraid of leaning back alot but you have to do it to get the height. Just keep on practicing, its a great trick to learn because when you get it down it will open up your ride to alot more tricks. Congrats

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by m88tow
    Just lean back more, alot of people are afraid of leaning back alot but you have to do it to get the height. Just keep on practicing, its a great trick to learn because when you get it down it will open up your ride to alot more tricks. Congrats

thanks... will try that
    tat is some encouragement ...haha

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you're in spd's, it's really hard to learn how to bunnyhop properly, 'cause all you really need to do it rake up on the pedals and handlebars, and the bike will hop. You might be in for a bit of a surprise when you move to platforms (ie: just jumping off your pedals).

If you want to get height with spds, just crouch a lot, then just jump hard (and pull up on the handlebars to keep the bike even). You should be in the air with your legs straight-ish. Then when you get towards your max height, you can pull the bike up more with your legs (ie: pull the bike towards your body). Takes a little bit of timing, but it's a pretty easy way to get lots of air in spds. Doing it in platforms requires a different technique and LOTS of practice.

And yah, I agree with the other poster, it's one of the best skills to learn, I wouldn't even call it a trick. Have fun with it!
    Last edited by Shibby; 12-22-2004 at 07:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    haha ... i m using spds but i dun wear the spd shoes .. instead i wear normal shoes... so its kinda hard and after a few tries my last 2 toes hurt cos there is nothing to support them ... i have seen countless free riders pull up the front wheel very high with great ease... any tips on how to achieve that ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    If you're in spd's, it's really hard to learn how to bunnyhop properly, 'cause all you really need to do it rake up on the pedals and handlebars, and the bike will hop. You might be in for a bit of a surprise when you move to platforms (ie: just jumping off your pedals).

If you want to get height with spds, just crouch a lot, then just jump hard (and pull up on the handlebars to keep the bike even). You should be in the air with your legs straight-ish. Then when you get towards your max height, you can pull the bike up more with your legs (ie: pull the bike towards your body). Takes a little bit of timing, but it's a pretty easy way to get lots of air in spds. Doing it in platforms requires a different technique and LOTS of practice.

And yah, I agree with the other poster, it's one of the best skills to learn, I wouldn't even call it a trick. Have fun with it!
    I've been trying to get more height on my hops too. Does it help to get your weight over the front of the bike before pulling up on the handle bars then shifting the weight towards to the rear?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you are bunnyhopping on SPDs, then you will find it much easier on good platforms. Are you doing it on the small ones (like the M-515's or whatever)? If so, it's amazing that you are getting any height! I can barely pedal in those damned things with normal shoes.

As for technique, I don't really think too much about it. Yeah, I guess I put my weight forward to help pull up harder, but there's a lot of finessing that's involved as well to get a 'good' hop. The best thing to do it to pop in Kranked IV and watch the Ryan Leech segment in slo-mo about 50 times. Watch where he positions himself, watch his feet, and how he times things. Then go out and practice until you you are sick of it, do it all the time, on the trail while you are waiting for a slow guy to catch up, while you are riding to your buddy's place, wherever. Doing it with some speed seems to help as well. If you can get up off the ground, you're basically doing it right. The height will come with practice as you figure out where your various body parts and weight should be at what point in time. You can't really figure that out by reading descriptions (at least I couldn't), you just have to do it.

Good luck, don't get frustrated. If you make practicing hops a part of riding, a point will come in a few months where you suddenly stop and realize that you are pretty damned good at it.

Glad to Be Alive
    and keep on practicing, practicing, practicing etc
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

good advice here

Quote Originally Posted by lchu80
    I've been trying to get more height on my hops too. Does it help to get your weight over the front of the bike before pulling up on the handle bars then shifting the weight towards to the rear?
    i pimped this site before in another thread.

www.trials-online.com

they have text and video in the "how to" section.

Pro Crastinator
    another thing you will learn is that when you are approaching and obstacle to hop over, you will be able to hop much higher than if there were no obstacle.

case in point - (i am much more skilled in hopping than you but you will get the idea) if i am rolling, i can hop onto the top of a picnic table if it were in my path. but on the other hand, if there were no table there and i just tried to hop the same height, i'd generally be about 8" too low.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by lchu80
    pull your front wheel up as high as you can get it comfortably then explode with your legs snapping your handlebars straight up towart your chin (it won't come to your chin, but this is the motion you are going for) while bringing up your feet to tuck the rear wheel right up close to your butt the bike will naturally level itself out...
    now go practice and you will quickly add height to your hops....

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    another thing you will learn is that when you are approaching and obstacle to hop over, you will be able to hop much higher than if there were no obstacle.

case in point - (i am much more skilled in hopping than you but you will get the idea) if i am rolling, i can hop onto the top of a picnic table if it were in my path. but on the other hand, if there were no table there and i just tried to hop the same height, i'd generally be about 8" too low.
    this is the truth. i have no problems hopping up a 2 foot loading dock, but i cant hop 2 feet in the air.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    congrats on the first bunny hop. try using the suspension to your advantage but conpressing it and pulling up at the same time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    this is the truth. i have no problems hopping up a 2 foot loading dock, but i cant hop 2 feet in the air.
    wow thats VERY high ... haha... i m currently using shimano m 520 pedals.... getting platforms asap....after 2 hours of praciticing the hop yesterday, my hands and shoulders are all aching now... haha... is it normal or am i doing it the wrong way ?

your mom
    my friend built a little stand with two poles and a stick going across, kinda like a high jump bunny hop thing. he drilled holes every inch or so and by the end of the day i think he was getting up to 2 feet on his hardtail

DOWNHILL MAFIA

..Forward row motion..

Try to keep as much weight off of your pedals immediately after liting the front wheel. Make yourself 'light' if you will, kinda like trying to walk without making noise. If that makes sense, apply it to your technique along with an explosive mid-air thrust, similar to a forward rowing motion.
    ..Good luck!
    i want to post more but i can't stop riding!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    something tha thelps me to get my weight back is compressing the front end.

Compress the front end before you jump, so you push down on the front and then rock back on the recoil and do your bunny hop.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    just changed to platform pedals... now able to clear 20 cm curbs.... thanks to the people here.. haha....btw ... i am using an 18 inch xc frame for my hops... hope to get a freeride frame if i got the cash... in the meantime, will my xc frame break? i dun do drops .. just bunny hops ..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you're XC bike breaks doing bunny hops, then you've got some crazy hopping skills! You won't break it, if you have crappy wheels and go really high, they might go out of true, but that's about it. 20 cm already is awesome. Keep at it. Oh, and if you're on an XC frame, lower the seat down for practicing hops if you haven't already. Makes things much easier, and is good practice for FR

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If you're XC bike breaks doing bunny hops, then you've got some crazy hopping skills! You won't break it, if you have crappy wheels and go really high, they might go out of true, but that's about it. 20 cm already is awesome. Keep at it. Oh, and if you're on an XC frame, lower the seat down for practicing hops if you haven't already. Makes things much easier, and is good practice for FR
    haha ..thanks... i posted my bike's pic on some forums and because it has a 130mm fork on it, some people say that it will break and the frame will suffer additional stress.. one of them even said that 130 mm is only for free ride and downhill ... any comments bout this ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_merida
    haha ..thanks... i posted my bike's pic on some forums and because it has a 130mm fork on it, some people say that it will break and the frame will suffer additional stress.. one of them even said that 130 mm is only for free ride and downhill ... any comments bout this ?
    Psssh, whatever man, don't listen to those jokers. I learned to bunnyhop on a '99 Rockhopper (the old steel frames, they were sweet, I still abuse it for trail riding) with the second biggest POS fork out there, the Rock Shox Jett T2 (the biggest POS being the Jett C ). I never broke it bunnyhopping, I don't think I ever came remotely close. On the other end of the spectrum, you have guys who can get crazy height on their big bikes. It doesn't matter what you ride. I highly doubt you'll break it bunnyhopping, unless you are bunnyhopping off a high ledge to flat

What's your bike/fork/setup, just out of curiousity?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Psssh, whatever man, don't listen to those jokers. I learned to bunnyhop on a '99 Rockhopper (the old steel frames, they were sweet, I still abuse it for trail riding) with the second biggest POS fork out there, the Rock Shox Jett T2 (the biggest POS being the Jett C ). I never broke it bunnyhopping, I don't think I ever came remotely close. On the other end of the spectrum, you have guys who can get crazy height on their big bikes. It doesn't matter what you ride. I highly doubt you'll break it bunnyhopping, unless you are bunnyhopping off a high ledge to flat

What's your bike/fork/setup, just out of curiousity?
    its a merida matts sport 100 frame made up alu and "shotgun" tubing haha...
    fork is fox vanilla 130r
    the rest is pretty much stock except for dt spokes, deore shifters, shimano mech discs, xt rear dee,shimano disc hubs and vp pedals....
    heres my pic and their comments ... check this out people... haha
    http://www.togoparts.com/showroom/vi...1122733217.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Don't know anything about the frame. It is true that you can bust up an XC frame if you put too long a fork on it, and beat the hell out of it. If you aren't doing drops, you are probably fine, but it might be a good idea to keep an eye out for hairline cracks in the headtube area or headtube ovalization. You certainly won't wreck anything doing 20 cm bunnyhops.