First downhill.- Mtbr.com

Thread: First downhill.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007

First downhill.

First off, a lot of you will probably think I'm a dumbass for doing this, but anyways.

I found this pretty short downhill at my local trails this past week so I walked up it to check it out. I figured I'd have to save up for a downhill bike or a bike with suspension to make it through without dying. I guess I was wrong. Got a beefier back tire and rim. (2.35" back tire) and a new front rim. Needless to say, I didn't think downhill trails were that fast. Next thing I knew I was walking up the hill again.

Oh, did I mention I rode it on a full rigid bike from the 90's?

I'm probably going to do a few runs on it to get more flowy. Any tips?
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Fully rigid? Make sure your seat is down to earth or you might be collecting dirt samples with your face. I'd save up for a bike fit for the situation though. Even a hardtail with with correct geometry will do you a lot better than a bike from the 90's. I'd stop investing money into it, you can't polish a turd. Unless you are the Mythbusters. But I don't think the Mythbusters could polish a 90's rigid bike for the purpose of riding downhill.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jawdrop on hardtail
    Fully rigid? Make sure your seat is down to earth or you might be collecting dirt samples with your face. I'd save up for a bike fit for the situation though. Even a hardtail with with correct geometry will do you a lot better than a bike from the 90's. I'd stop investing money into it, you can't polish a turd. Unless you are the Mythbusters. But I don't think the Mythbusters could polish a 90's rigid bike for the purpose of riding downhill.
    I like this bike. Its the only bike I've ridden that I can do AM with. DH is just something I would do every once in a while. I don't do it much. I'm just pretty damn proud of myself that I rode it.
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

beautiful jackass
    It sounds like you might have just found a hill. There is a pretty big difference from "riding down a hill" vs. "riding downhill"

Downhill bikes are incredibly specialized and unless you are truly "riding downhill" you might want to stick to a more versatile bike like the one you have.

Keep practicing, have fun (and let off the brakes). Going down is much more fun than going up!

mtbr member
    Obviously you wont go nearly as fast as if you were on a modern full suspension race bike but have fun and wear your helmet. When you catch the bug and decide you need a better bike drop some coin.

Dont forget DH started with rigid bikes and coaster brakes...

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by one incredible donkey
    It sounds like you might have just found a hill. There is a pretty big difference from "riding down a hill" vs. "riding downhill"

Downhill bikes are incredibly specialized and unless you are truly "riding downhill" you might want to stick to a more versatile bike like the one you have.

Keep practicing, have fun (and let off the brakes). Going down is much more fun than going up!
    IMO, it wasn't just a hill. Rooty, couple of 2 foot drops, muddy and again, really rooty.

I think once I know it better and know where the fast lines, are, my brakes won't even be touched.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It sounds like an unlikely scenario. And if it is true, I would be surprised if you are riding it in a true downhill fashion. However I have once seen a guy jump in on an xc spin on a crock he found in a skip, and he shredded the trails better than anyone else that day. So you may just be telling the truth...

If you put up a video or some photos I'd believe you.

******ed or Branded??
    never mind what anyone here is saying just ride the hell out of that bike with out hurting yourself and just enjoy the nice hill you got there. You should try to climb it with your bike and you'd feel more appreciation for that bike of ours too!!! Just a thought.
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

Freetard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Strangelove
    However I have once seen a guy jump in on an xc spin on a crock he found in a skip...
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Those cables on the Socom look flexy

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nut!
    What?
    Yeah I sometimes ride xc with my local club. We have a long spin on Sundays. One classic route we do is a 45km offroad route with a 25 km roadspin home again. Anyway one morning this French guy arrived to join us. He was on a total crock of a bike, he explained that he had some nice bikes back home but that he was dying to get out and ride so he spotted this old wreck in a skip, pulled it out and tightened it up.

The wheels were short of a few spokes, with small buckle in the rear, the tyres were almost through to the threads and it was pretty heavy. But he put a lot of guys to shame on that ride, he took on all the technical sections and did better than most

I love that kind of stuff, I hate seeing guys rocking up with amazing bikes and you get the feeling they will never be ridden they way they should be...c'est la vie

So OP if your shredding and your happy, keep it up...

Equal opportunity meanie
    Strange, what the crap are you babbling about? Crock skipper by golly the lass a doowinkle, eh?

I do see beginners jump on crap bikes and still sneak past guys on $5k bikes just by being smooth every so often, and it makes me laugh. And everyone here has probably destroyed a <$500 hardtail getting into the sport and we all know it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    Strange, what the crap are you babbling about? Crock skipper by golly the lass a doowinkle, eh?
    I guess your name says it all.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I guess your name says it all.....
    no actually...none of us got your "xc spin on a crock he found in a skip" ramble.

sorry, none of us get ur slang...most of us are from america...

makes sense now after u explained it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ah right so, well it's not actually slang. They are everyday words actually.

A skip is like a large 'trash can', people usually have them outside their houses when they are doing them up, what do you guys call them?

A crock is a 'heap' a 'wreck'....

In Ireland 'craic' (pronounced 'crack') is another word for fun...

Anyway back on topic, this guy had great craic on his crock...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Ah right so, well it's not actually slang. They are everyday words actually.
    Not to belabor the point, but those words are definitely slang. "Everyday words" that don't hold the same meaning everywhere a language is spoken...are slang.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    Not to belabor the point, but those words are definitely slang. "Everyday words" that don't hold the same meaning everywhere a language is spoken...are slang.
    Without wishing to engage in a debate on what is or isn't slang I do feel I should reply.

Skip is not slang. There is no other word in the version of English I speak for a skip.

We do not speak the same language. You speak Americanised English, I speak Anglican English. Many words differ, while the semantics are the same often the spelling, or even the entire word is different.

For example you guys spell it color, we spell it colour

No-one who speaks Anglican English would ever use the word 'pavement' or 'candy'. Yet I am sure pavement is not slang.

We speak two separate variations of the same language.

Craic is slang, but I included that as an example of slang.

Sorry for going off-topic.

If you think you can
    Dude, its all good. Don't listen to the haters! I didn't know what you first meant, but you explained it very well and I don't see a reason to tell you not to talk in slang. ****, we do it all the time!

should know better.....
    skip = dumpster here

Bum Buzzer
    Without wishing to engage in a debate on what is or isn't slang I do feel I should reply.

Skip is not slang. There is no other word in the version of English I speak for a skip.

We do not speak the same language. You speak Americanised English, I speak Anglican English. Many words differ, while the semantics are the same often the spelling, or even the entire word is different.

For example you guys spell it color, we spell it colour

No-one who speaks Anglican English would ever use the word 'pavement' or 'candy'. Yet I am sure pavement is not slang.

We speak two separate variations of the same language.

Craic is slang, but I included that as an example of slang.

Sorry for going off-topic.
    Standard english is a lot more common in the US than England. Anglican english? That needs to be left alone. Bountiful colloquialism sure.

'Skip' is most definitely slang.

Anyway - ride whatever bike you want however makes you happy and 'scrou yew to the critics!'

k?

thxbai

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    LOL!!! It makes sense now that he translated it into a recognizable form of english. I should have known it was Irish...
    Bike good, work bad.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by zadey1234

I'm probably going to do a few runs on it to get more flowy. Any tips?
    ur almost pro////keeps shredding
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey zadey.If had to dh a rigid bike I'd fit the biggest double casing tires tires on it I could find for cheap.Then play with air pressure.I haven't seen your trail but 20 psi would be a consideration.

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    No, you are wrong.

skip
    Noun
    1. a large open container for transporting building materials or rubbish
    2. a cage used as a lift in mines [variant of skep a beehive]

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromedToast
    No, you are wrong.

skip
    Noun
    1. a large open container for transporting building materials or rubbish
    2. a cage used as a lift in mines [variant of skep a beehive]
    Thank you very much, I guess everyday is a schoolday

Big Test Icycles
    Anyone want some real Irish slang, try this out. Now quit "Talkin Shite".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XuI-Jf5N7Y
    Last edited by Hangtime; 04-30-2009 at 08:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Do you see a lot of hard tails doing DH? I just copped a Felt Jump Shot 26" for a sweet deal and been looking for feedback on DH with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had a buddy that used to hit Northstar on a full rigid with Nokian 3.0s - Sticks, Dogbone and Karpiel.

Killed tubes dis month: 6
    Aug 2008
    My friend was telling me about a time he whent on a trip to Nevada to do some riding. He ended up racing with a couple guys, two of which were on rigids. the other three including himself were on fs bikes. The two rigids totally killed them. xD I just wonder how much faster those guys would ride on full suspension bikes...
    Anyways, keep it up! It's always cool to see someone on a rigid ride downhill courses =D

On a side note: Im still on my five hundred dolllar HT and im terrin the poor thing up. xD Im currently trying to save for a FS DH race bike...
    DRINK LOTS OF WATAH!!!!
    Go BIG or go home...
    Let Fear be your motivation and love for mountain biking be your skill...

Blind biker
    I havent done a DH on my new rigrid rocky mountian but i have done some on a $100 mongoose from walmart it tore the thing apart in 2 rides i premently compressed the spring,

Killed tubes dis month: 6
    Aug 2008
    Lol I did the same thing a while back xD I think my Hard Tail has outlasted my walmart bike by a lot xB
    DRINK LOTS OF WATAH!!!!
    Go BIG or go home...
    Let Fear be your motivation and love for mountain biking be your skill...

Members who have read this thread: 0