First DH race- Mtbr.com

Thread: First DH race

mtbr member
    May 2012

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! First DH race

Ok so I'm entering my first DH race next weekend at windham same track as world cup.
    Probably not best track to start on but o well I am. So anything you guy think I should need to know or that I should do or try and do. I think I know most of what I need to but what ever you got for me plz tell me.

Thanks guys

Even it's a stupid thing that you think help I want to here it.

A guy who loves to DH
    Make sure to have the right tire set up for the ground there. Also set up your susp accordingly. Brake less as possible, stay loose, get good rest before, and just have fun. Pretty basic stuff im sure you already know, but hey good luck with your first race.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ride a pace you can make it to the bottom, have fun!
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnyg801 View Post
    Ride a pace you can make it to the bottom, have fun!
    same course as WC,....go bigger tires....ride at slower pace and remember to just have fun....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by T.toomey View Post
    Ok so I'm entering my first DH race next weekend at windham same track as world cup.
    Probably not best track to start on but o well I am. So anything you guy think I should need to know or that I should do or try and do. I think I know most of what I need to but what ever you got for me plz tell me.

Thanks guys

Even it's a stupid thing that you think help I want to here it.
    have you seen the course yet?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ya I watched the world cups on PB and a friend went there to it and took tons of pics so I've seen it but not irl

And thxs guys for all the above tips

May The Force Be With You
    drink lots of fluids! save the beer for after
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi
    '08 Toyota FJ Cruiser / Facebook: NyNomadFJC

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by T.toomey View Post
    Ya I watched the world cups on PB and a friend went there to it and took tons of pics so I've seen it but not irl

And thxs guys for all the above tips
    gotcha. I didn't want to talk about the course only to have you say, "yeah dude, I was there too." LOL.

one tip I could offer, find your line in practice and stick with it. it was an absolute dust bowl (GE course was the same way) and I don't know if its rained since. a couple guys mentioned they went down during their race run because the dust covered a feature and it looked like a better way than they had practiced. I'm not going to tell you how to race but basically I'd say trust your practice line.

C S
    mtbr member
    Relax, you''re just riding your bike. At least that's what I always tell myself on the line Practice enough to get comfortable on the track and learn the lines but don't beat yourself up so much that you're going to feel off on race day. Walking the course is a good way to pick your lines, although I always ride a few times before walking just to get a feel for the course. Practice in sections where you stop before and remind yourself what line you want, then take it. If I have a choice of coming into a section hot and having to exit slower because I missed a good line or shutting it down a little more to hit the line and exit fast, I always take the faster exit. If the race is sunday and I'm practicing friday and saturday, I always do a top to bottom run on friday with my helmet cam running so I can review the footage that night. I usually do the same on saturday so I can compare the runs. Watching the video a couple of times really helps me memorize the track.

Lastly, remember to have fun! That's what it's all about

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Walking the course and watching other riders lines for ideas helps. Pedal where you can. In my first race, I realized how much cardio comes into play and how unprepared I was for it. So for future races, keep that in mind so you have some left in the tank to get cranks in at the end and not be so worn out that you're out of control. Not saying you'll run into this, just my experience.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Once again thxs for all the tips I'll post how I did after the race next week

mtbr member
    May 2012

Upset

Unfortunly I may not be racing now my frame where the rear shock and frame connect and scew in have cracked very badly. When I saw the crack I was almost crying as I just got the bike Thursday and it broke after one ride

Monday I will be calling trying to get a replacement rear triangle if I can. If not Ill have to swap parts from my crap bike to good parts and crap frame if everything is compatible I will try and race with that

Members who have read this thread: 0