First dh bike, matainence, upgrades, things to do.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2019

First dh bike, matainence, upgrades, things to do.

Hey guys! I picked myself up an older DH bike and am new to the game. I have done some XC so I know a little about bikes. What types of matainence besides getting my shocks serviced, lubing chains, tightening bolts, changing brake pads and replacing the old Minon dhf with a new pair would you guys reccomend? Any must have tools?

My bike is an 07 Yeti asx with a marzocchi 888 rc2xva front and fox dhx5 in the back. E.thirteen chain guide and bash guard. Hayes nine brakes with 8inch rotorsFirst dh bike, matainence, upgrades, things to do.-img_20190307_062340_503.jpg

Big M, Little organ.
    Jan 2004
    I'd bleed the brakes to replace old fluid. I'd also check all the bearings, especially pivot, bottom bracket, shock bushings. Clean/replace anything with play or grittiness. Check spoke tension by hand and tighten any that are obviously loose. Basically standard stuff.

The 888 is a really easy fork to work on and very durable. I'd start with just a basic lower leg service and fresh fluid.

If you are going to have the dhx5 rebuilt, I'd send it to avalanche for a tune. It won't be that much more expensive and makes a big difference. If the shock is in OK shape now I'd ride it for a while first so you have a sense of what could be better. You will probably want a new spring appropriate for your weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If the Hayes still work, great. If not, that'll be a project all on it's own. If I remember correctly I think you can use a ball pump needle at the brake levers & a syringe at the caliper.... Any way they are still better than Avid's

Just like Organ said that Marz fork is great. Golden Spectro 125/150 is stock oil. If it's not leaking out of the seals yet I'd just replace the oil, otherwise seals are a easily obtainable.

If that rear shock isn't blown you might just want to ride it till it dies. Shocks aren't cheap to service or rebuild.

Things to buy:
    If you don't have wide bars, think 28-30" I'd get a set.
    Maybe a new set of pedals
    A new spring for the rear shock if you aren't at the proper sag.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    88 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153