First DH bike build, is this normal?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

First DH bike build, is this normal?

This is actually my first time building any bike part by part and I had a few questions. I've never used a chain guide so I'm not sure what is normal and what is not. It seems like I've got everything adjusted right and my gears are shifting great.

While pedaling, the bike seems a lot louder than an XC bike. I'm not talking about the coasting sound, but just pedaling. Is this because there's a chain guide and that makes the chain tensioned a bit more?

And also, when spinning the pedals counter clock wise (backwards) and letting them go, should the pedals move freely, or is it normal that my chain guide is slowing it down much faster

banned
    Are you by any chance using a tire lever or a Clif Bar for a chain guide?

...idios...
    "Is this [noise] because there's a chain guide and that makes the chain tensioned a bit more?"

Depening on the chainguide you're using, the chain now has to run over rollers. It may also be touching the the guide in certain gears. As JC so subtley alluded to; without knowing which guide and crankset you're using, and whether or not the guide is correctly fitted, it's impossible to say if your noises are normal or not. Some pictures might help, or just give a more detailed overview of your problem.

"And also, when spinning the pedals counter clock wise (backwards) and letting them go, should the pedals move freely, or is it normal that my chain guide is slowing it down much faster."

Could be your BB, your rear derailleur, chainguide, chain, the selected gear (chainline) or even your freehub. It's completely impossible to tell you whether or not your drivetrain is spinning "normally". There is (generally) an extra degree of resistance when you use a chainguide, so it's possible that this is what you're feeling.

If you're confident that everything is properly installed and functioning correctly in its own right, then just ride - you're not going to feel or hear these things when you're blasting down a trail. Somebody who can get their hands (and ears!) on the job could probably tell you in a moment if everything is as it should be, or not.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    chainguides can be very difficult to install correctly. Some noise and friction is normal, but too much can be caused by the chain rubbing against the backplate, especially in the low gears.

but again without seeing its hard telling not knowing

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Take it to the local shop you bought it from and get their advise.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Are you by any chance using a tire lever or a Clif Bar for a chain guide?
    dont be retarded...the cliff bar is just silly, but the tire lever approach is brilliant

Glad to Be Alive
    take a few pics
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0