First DH bike???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

First DH bike???

what do u guys think if my choices for my first DH bike!

Specialized Demo 8

2009 Santa Cruz V10

Intense 951

Anybody have any riding time on these bikes..any pros and cons?
    09 Specialized StumperJumper FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Can you afford any of those bikes? At least, thats the first thing that comes to my mind... But, if it was me, I think I might take that Intense 951.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I wouldnt get a v10 as a first bike. What experience do you have? Any moto?
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

a dad
    Jan 2004
    tough call..

when i bought my first DH bike i didn't want to spend a lot of money in case i didn't like it.. but, who isn't going to like dhing? So, i spent some money, spent more on upgrades and broken parts.. then sold it and spent more money on a giant glory..

I don't know what to tell you, but i just wish i bought a bad ass bike from the start.. my only opinion is.. do you need a huge bike with a double crown or does a 7 inch single crown work..

i like the handling of single crown more and not being a huge guy 7 inches of travel is plenty for me.. and i won't be going huge anyway..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    yeah the answer depends on what you are going to be riding the most, and on you just trying them out.

The V10 is a straight line beast, get it if you ride super steep/fast/rocky courses all the time. The demo and the 951 (i'm assuming here, never ridden one) are going to be lighter and a little bit more nimble all around. The geometry of the 8 vs 951 is completely different----- 8 has very short CS, longggg WB vs the 951 with normal WB, and medium CS

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    First advice is try as many bikes as you can.

Not many people will have actually tried a 951, so don't expect more than the usual i-net BS and hype. Can't help you here either.

But I did have a demo for almost two years and I'm on a '09 V10 now. The V10 is by no means only a high speed straight line beast. It is easier to ride faster but in fact it has a much shorter wheelbase than the demo. With a similar headtube angle and BB height (correctly sagged) the V10 actually goes around tight bends at least as good as the demo, if not better. The V10 is lighter than a demo by the way.

Both bikes are great for learning DH as they are very forgiving if you mess up your lines. If you are looking into jumps, drops & tricks, the V10s massive sag will be a little more reluctant to leave the ground. But after two or three good long runs you'll get used to that. Then it's really easy to annoy your buddys with the sheer speed you can carry in sections where other riders beginn to see ghost images.

If you have the money, take the V10. If expensive crashes are something that worry you, a demo has the tougher build and won't dent as easily. It's a bit like ferrari and porsche. The porsche is rock solid and among the greatest, but a ferrari goes to the heart, even if it needs more TLC.

mtbr member
    I think the 951 is the worst idea for the 1st dh bike as you will for sure crash a lot in your early days and 951 with it's low weight won't be very crash resistant. Demo on the other hand could use the 2010 geo tweaks it will have as now it's has a geo that can be improved. V10 is proven but a plow bike and not everybody wants that. All those your only choices? If yes get the v10 or demo but if no I'd get sth else.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

mtbr member
    Yea my experience so far is just a lot of aggresive XC...never touched a DH course yet! I just feel like i could do good at DH....looks so much more exciting. you think my choices of bikes are a lil to big for a NEW-B
    09 Specialized StumperJumper FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    V-10 and 951 are a lot of bike and a lot of money for a first timer.

no matter how good you think you will be...you will crash. everyone does. get a used rig, and thrash the hell out of it.

or better yet, hit up your nearest lift serviced bike park, and try out a renter...seeing as how you've never done DH yet, might as well try it first and figure how you like it what exactly you need first.

out of those choices, the a used Demo 8 would be a great start.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssr2
    Yea my experience so far is just a lot of aggresive XC...never touched a DH course yet! I just feel like i could do good at DH....looks so much more exciting. you think my choices of bikes are a lil to big for a NEW-B
    Not to big as there is nothing too big about a good twaeked dh bike the problem with 951 I have is that it's a lightweight dh rig for guys with flow that crash not so often. I know I wouldn't go for it even now because of the risk of crashing. The other bikes I just don't see as perfect but that's just my personal preference Going used is a good idea. Ridemonkey and mtbr have nice classfields and you can get a nice bike for less and ass you trash it in your first seasons you will loose more money (on trashing and on overall devaluation ).
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by blkss
    Can you afford any of those bikes? At least, thats the first thing that comes to my mind... But, if it was me, I think I might take that Intense 951.

951 ...one of the hottest selling bikes in Europe right now

but really for first bike you should buy used
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Thunder Chunky
    your profile says you live in florida so correct me if im wrong but there isnt really any lift assisted downhill in florida that i know of and dont know of much of any kind of dh there either. maybe im wrong though. I dont think any of these bikes would be good for you to be honest. Maybe look into more of a freeride bike as i would imagine they might have some freerideish stuff down there.
    Purple Popcorn

Members who have read this thread: 0