First crash DH trail, are shorts worth it?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

First crash DH trail, are shorts worth it?

Hey guys I've been biking for about a year but just recently started hitting the trails and learning to jump on my bike.

Well just yesterday I was going down on a track and I landed very poorly and fell. I got up finished the trail, went to my house and some hours later I had a lot of trouble just walking, I hit the side of my left leg, near the hip, it's nothing serious.

I was wearing regular shorts, would downhill shorts make a significant difference? I'm thinking of getting one or two but I don't know if they are worth it, I mean they are like 60, 80. There are some chineses TLD on ebay for like 40 US, much more affordable but what do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    injuries have a way, of haunting you years later. I stopped for about a year. 3 months ago I took a high speed hit. slice right forearm open, left palm, deep bruise on right hip/thigh...on granite. Pads would have made a difference in my case. was out for a month. back to wearing short-pads when I ride the big bike.

It would be best to try them on before a purchase. if not, check for comments online regarding "how they fit", as you dont want them to move around as much, such as to defeat the purpose of protecting your body from serious injuries.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Not really. Most riding shorts are just shorts in pretty colors. They are usually a little more comfortable for riding, but don't offer any additional protection. If you really want something, you can find padded shorts that go under your regular shorts....but they don't really do all that much either...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nathaks View Post
    Hey guys I've been biking for about a year but just recently started hitting the trails and learning to jump on my bike.

Well just yesterday I was going down on a track and I landed very poorly and fell. I got up finished the trail, went to my house and some hours later I had a lot of trouble just walking, I hit the side of my left leg, near the hip, it's nothing serious.

I was wearing regular shorts, would downhill shorts make a significant difference? I'm thinking of getting one or two but I don't know if they are worth it, I mean they are like 60, 80. There are some chineses TLD on ebay for like 40 US, much more affordable but what do you guys think?
    look for compression shorts with pads. my baggy DH shorts fit right over them, with no issues

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thank you all for your answers, you saved me some money with your recommendations.

By the way compression shorts still are not cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Champro-Tri-Fl...ression+shorts

I found these on amazon for 30, not cheap but a reasonable price if they offer protection. Do you think these will help? Or should I just be more careful next time

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudster View Post
    look for compression shorts with pads. my baggy DH shorts fit right over them, with no issues
    These would have saved me big time two weeks ago. Definitely picking up these. These seem to come up a lot higher on the hip for more coverage.
    Nike Pro Combat Hyperstrong Girdle - Men's - Football - Clothing - Black/Volt
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    if you want maximum protection, modern dh shorts do help quite a bit more than the standard dickies or basketball styles - they use a thicker material that doesn't really do anything for impacts but helps when you crash and start sliding. Id get the compression underwear with pads built in paired with a comfortable pair of downhill shorts and proper knee pads - you could go full knee/shin but i don't like how that feels - try a few before you buy because there are significant differences in fit and feel across different brands, i prefer royal racing and troy lee designs personally but i know many friends that like other options (one industries, alpinestars etc)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    troy lee designs makes a pair of armored compression shorts...why not stick to MTB specific gear...even has padding that would help with a hip pointer

that in conjunction with actual DH shorts would give pretty good protection

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    high sided at 80+ on my motorcycle at the track a few years ago, landed directly on my left hip. i was wearing Bohn Adventure Shorts and didn't even have a bruise. The nice part is the armor is removable (I take out the tailbone pad) so you can wash the shorts properly.

http://www.amazon.com/Bohn-Adventure...venture+shorts
    I like bikes

brake later, pedal sooner
    Get POC Hip VPD 2.0 armor and some Troy Lee Designs Moto shorts ...set for your DH life. Thank me later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post
    Get POC Hip VPD 2.0 armor and some Troy Lee Designs Moto shorts ...set for your DH life. Thank me later.

+1

Wear comfortable, rated armor, and wear it all the time. I wear extra armor in the winter to stay warm, since it more comfortable than a jacket and protects a million times better.

On the topic of DH shorts. Actually many DH shorts protectr against impact. There are 1000 denier cordura, and some with built in rubber. When I do Xc rides, I wear some old school Nema shorts. For DH I wear modern DH shorts (thinner material) and my POC VPD 2.0 hip pads.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

Professional Troll
    How do the waist on those POC's fit. Site says XL/L is 34-36. Will they fit 36-(ish) well? Or is it a bit too tight?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    IVe got Bomber shorts from SixSixone that are dog toothed but the foam is still good. It's saved me multiple times. I bought after I hit my hip and limped for almost month. I only wear it for dh though. Ive had some crashes trail riding where it couldve saved me, but Ive settle on just knee pads for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    How do the waist on those POC's fit. Site says XL/L is 34-36. Will they fit 36-(ish) well? Or is it a bit too tight?
    I am 32-34ish and I have the medium so I think you should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have a pair of the POC under shorts and hate them. WAAAY too heavy, and the VPD pads in the shorts slide around. During riding, the pads would bounce and slide off my hips and down to the under side of my leg, making them useless. I've since gone back to the Fox padded shorts, although the TLD offering looks quite nice as well.

9 lives
    I have a pair of TLD moto shorts for dh. Very durable and saved my hide in a couple of crashes when I slid on gravel surface.

I also have a pair of Dakines which are also durable but lighter and more breathable on very hot days

I don't wear padded shorts nor hip guards
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    I have a pair of the POC under shorts and hate them. WAAAY too heavy, and the VPD pads in the shorts slide around. During riding, the pads would bounce and slide off my hips and down to the under side of my leg, making them useless. I've since gone back to the Fox padded shorts, although the TLD offering looks quite nice as well.
    Sounds like you had the wrong size, user error and nothing to do with the product.

I've pretty much had every pair of armor shorts you can buy on the market, and some of the motorcycle offerings (dainese, knox, bohn, etc.).

The POC VPD's are the best set you can get for the comfort vs protection balance ratio. Better than the TLD BP7605 I have (more comfortable, no protection).

Every Fox armor short has been crap, don't waste your money there. Looks nice, but does jack shit in the event of a crash - more often than not the thermoplastic chafing your skin on impact.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sounds like you had the wrong size, user error and nothing to do with the product.

I've pretty much had every pair of armor shorts you can buy on the market, and some of the motorcycle offerings (dainese, knox, bohn, etc.).

The POC VPD's are the best set you can get for the comfort vs protection balance ratio. Better than the TLD BP7605 I have (more comfortable, no protection).

Every Fox armor short has been crap, don't waste your money there. Looks nice, but does jack shit in the event of a crash - more often than not the thermoplastic chafing your skin on impact.
    Nope, I had the correct size. Mediums were too small, and the fit of the large was spot on. The discomfort I experienced was due solely to the poor construction of the product. The VPD pads weigh a LOT, and they're not secured in place at all, so they easily slide around within their own cavity. After riding for a while, the padding would slide down to the underside of my legs where they're only protecting the backs of my thighs, no good. Being that the pads weigh so much, they started to stretch out the material of the shorts and the pads then began to "bounce". This wasn't a sizing issue. Simply poor construction.

I'm not a super big fan of the Fox offerings, but I can get them on the cheap and they are much more comfortable. Their padding isn't much to write home about tho...

banned
    Oct 2004
    Hugely expensive, but any feedback on these?

PRO-T Team Compression Shorts G-Form

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Hugely expensive, but any feedback on these?

PRO-T Team Compression Shorts G-Form
    I have g-form knee and elbow pads. I wore them a couple of times for dj and in the winter for ice biking. I once lost traction and slid on the ice and landed on my knee The g-form was good (I wasn't going fast but I did land hard) The g-form pads fit extremely tight, so thats why I haven't worn them much. In hindsight I should have gone a size up than my usual sizing for knee/elbow armour

Not sure if those shorts are as constricting so getting the right fit is key.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    that's my biggest problem with my Fox armor shorts - comfortable and breathable but got TERRIBLE chafing of my leg and cheeks during a crash/slide at Whistler last year. the mesh material is actually very rough when pressed against the skin. I'm planning on taking the pads out and putting them on a lycra road bike shorts to get softer material (but not as breathable).

Another brand to check is PRO-X Compression Shorts G-Form (although doesn't look like much protection against leg). I have their knee/elbow pads and wear them all the time as they are supper comfy and saved me many times.