Finally did my first drop, also star case at milagrosa trail Tucson- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Finally did my first drop, also star case at milagrosa trail Tucson

Here are a couple vids from our ride yesterday, we rode milagrosa trail and i found a small drop to try out.
    Also a couple videos of whats known as the staircase took quite a few trys, next time i hope to make it cleaner by choosing a different line but need some more practice on it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yqtkU1sVfnU?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yqtkU1sVfnU?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gfOy98XDGEQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gfOy98XDGEQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBz2QEPLHvg?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBz2QEPLHvg?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Congrats

bi-winning
    Yeah buddy woohoohoohooo!
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Great success!!!

Someone just watched Borat for the first time

That line looks techy
    Transition, Shimano, DT Swiss, deity, Maxxis, Dakine, Demon Dirt, MRP, Oakley, VP, Honey Stinger, Grassroots Cycles

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    yeah thats about the only downhill we have here in tucson, techy rocky stuff but still loads of fun the total trail is around 9.5 miles the staircase place is somewhere in the middle. Bout a 3/4 mile uphill hike before you start any downhill. When i get better at this trail im gonna tack on the two trails before it to make it a 16ish mile ride

banned
    Cool - now go send it off something big!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UldiH5ZiJVg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    nothing really too big here in Tucson "that i know of", gonna have to wait till summer where i can hit up some other mountains sunrise and such. that rock does have a spot with a lip maybe ill try that part next time.

banned
    Once I fiqured out how my bike would fly it got easier.

meow meow
    thats a pretty good sized first drop to flat, nice man!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    thanks, in my younger years "im 28 now" i used to do drops like that all the time on my skateboard hell even things alot larger. But the Game changes when you have a 40lb+ bike under you. haha

meow meow
    hahaha same. i used to ollie off things over four feet high to flat. but yeah, a bike is a total game changer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I know things are always alot harder than they look in videos but in my experience, the faster you go through rocks the easier. Your bike is capable of alot more than you think it is and you just have to trust it. Up until a few weeks ago I used to have alot of trouble on steep rocky areas beause of how slow I went through them but after getting a bit more comfortable with going over them at higher speeds I noticed its alot easier that way!

mtbr member
    Nice job on the drop! Making it look easy.

Moose Member
    Sick first drop. once you hit it a bunch you will most definately become more comfortable in the air. That stair case looks killer techy too. just keep progressing and i'm sure you will be flying down those stairs in no time.

mtbr member
    we call that techy staircase section the milli "waterfall"..and its a bit sketchier than it looks on video. you hit it pretty slow but it worked out so nice job. if you link bugs spring>prison camp-molino>millagrosa you get a decent bit of downhill to go with the horrible hike-a-bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    yeah do you normally hit it fast? it is much more sketch then it looks. This was my first time out there, i was quite surprised to see that coming up to the staircase it was uphill and a little difficult to get some speed. I loved the down hill section right before the big tree and spring and water tank that was glorious and my suspension really liked it too. Gonna have to link up with you guys if you ever head out there. Normally i ride bugs alot! and have done green mountain as well, if i can ever get my girlfriend to pick us up in oracle i would love to do oracle ridge.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Congrats ILHC.

Watching you going down the rock steps, the fork looks soft going at full travel. Just wondering, is this the right setting? Just looking at it as a reference to make adjustment to my own setting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    havent set up the suspension quite yet, in gonna have to take some time out this next week and do that

eat your porridge jordie
    The line you are taking on the waterfall is much more difficult to clean than the one to the right. The way you are going has too many things to grab your front wheel to really hit it cleanly. The trick is to come up to it to the right more than you think, keep your speed up, and get the weight way back over the rear tire. The faster you go the easier it is.

What side of town are you on? We're getting some stuff together on the east side will be right up your alley.
    "If you want to do something ordinary people can't, you have to be willing to do what ordinary people won't"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    if the line you are talking about is on the far right, with the large slanted rock that you roll off the end. I know what line you are talking about i just couldn't balls up to do that one quite yet. Im on the south side near the airport i know the next time ill be hitting the mountain will be the next saturday i have off which is 12-18-10

Glad to Be Alive
    Yeah buddy woohoohoohooo!.....cool....sick

very very cool...keep postin vids of your riding as you get better

caninus xerophilous
    Way to go ILHCs!

You need to get tied in with some more Tucsonan DH/FR'ers. Definately hook up with jimmydean012, blue109 and the like, plenty of stuff around town to fullfill the techie/gravity jones, and it helps rolling the fast and fun stuff with some local know-how. Most of us post on TucsonMTB.com.

Gravity's Gone
    Good job!! We have something in common - I also like hot chicks.

mtbr member
    rolling the waterfall on your first trip...with nobody in front of you to watch is pretty bad ass. most people have to watch a few guys go down first. i usually take the line you rode, but most of the crew says the right line is easier and theres no turn to negotiate. jump on tucsonmtb.com. to get in on some rides. not many of us post over here.

i be lurkin
    great vid quality
    me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks Sundog, ill check it out i deff need more people to ride with its hard to get out and ride when you only have one friend to ride with and you need to shuttle haha
    nanker - i do like hot chicks haha this has been my gamer name since counter strike 1.4 hahaha its hard to explain to your girlfriend when you PS3 name is ilikehotchicks haha
    Blue- thanks man yeah it was a bit scary at first, i had to ride it like 10 times and the buddie i went with "yeah buddie woohoo" she needed quite a bit of convincing even after i did it before she even tried it but she almost made it after a few attempts ill post the good video of her trying it. I saw the line to the right you speak of and well it looked "doable" for me except for the end steep slanted rock i was worried about endoing at the very end. My elbow has been jacked up for about 2 months when i tried a stupid street gap on the bike and messed it up bad and went to the ER. Once i am completely healed i may try the right hand line.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mBLfrfw4z-s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mBLfrfw4z-s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Here is kims attempt at the staircase "waterfall" sorry for the tilted cam that is my fault i am not a video guy

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

another thing i need to work on is jumping anyone with any advice for nice jumps in tucson to learn on let me know,

Ride, Jump, Pray, Land
    Keep going dude. Tip for the steps - Speed is your friend. The faster you go the more you flow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikehotchicks

another thing i need to work on is jumping anyone with any advice for nice jumps in tucson to learn on let me know,
    i have that same helmet!!! cracked the visor when i went OTB on a 15ft drop or so..... broken wrist too for jumping check out a site called leelikesbikes.com its a guy who sells his riding tutorial BUT you can download the .pdf file on jumping. tells you about compressing, taking off from the lip, and landing. actually helped me a bit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    thanks for the link!, Yeah i just got the helmet i convenience the gf to give me my xmas present early, Before i only had a dirt lid. As far as jumping im pretty sure i understand the concept i just need more practice and being in tucson i havent found many spots to practice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    thanks for the link!, Yeah i just got the helmet i convenience the gf to give me my xmas present early, Before i only had a dirt lid. As far as jumping im pretty sure i understand the concept i just need more practice and being in tucson i havent found many spots to practice.

i hear that man. i used to live in casa grande so i know there is plenty of desert..... get out there and build something!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    yeah thats about the only downhill we have here in tucson, techy rocky stuff but still loads of fun the total trail is around 9.5 miles the staircase place is somewhere in the middle. Bout a 3/4 mile uphill hike before you start any downhill. When i get better at this trail im gonna tack on the two trails before it to make it a 16ish mile ride

Always a good feeling after doing something for the first time!

Nice
    McLovin

Members who have read this thread: 0