Final decision time- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Final decision time

'07 base Stinky or '07 base Bighit? I can get both for around the same price. I do about 60% FR and 40% DH with a little racing thrown in there. what do you guys think?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    stinky
    sponsors: sdg, more needed

check out my web site
    http://web.mac.com/johnschoenfeld

Hard as nails
    I do not think you could go wrong with either choice - with that said I would prolly go wit the Big Hit. I know the Big hits run a 24 wheel in the rear - but you could change that (assuming ) to a 26 for race time etcc.... The Stinky is also a proven big bike 0 but when i think of flying downhill I would prolly rather have the fsr/horst link for its active suspension properties... Good Luck and ride hard with whatever you get! Enjoy
    Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.
    Henry David Thoreau

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtman
    I do not think you could go wrong with either choice - with that said I would prolly go wit the Big Hit. I know the Big hits run a 24 wheel in the rear - but you could change that (assuming ) to a 26 for race time etcc.... The Stinky is also a proven big bike 0 but when i think of flying downhill I would prolly rather have the fsr/horst link for its active suspension properties... Good Luck and ride hard with whatever you get! Enjoy
    the Bighits have been running 26'' front and rear since 2006.

Glad to Be Alive
    actually I would take the Big Hit over the Stinky hands down.....I have had both..

The Big Hit just feels more solid....plus I am a huge fan of the FSR rear end. I feel the FSR rear end is way better then the Stinky's faux bar because of the brake jack..

ride both bikes and see what one you would like more.....both are good bikes but hands down I would choose the Big Hit

BTW the Big Hit the last few years has 26 inch rear not 24inch
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've heard that the Bighits were pretty heavy. I have weighed the Stinky and on the shop scale it's sitting right around 42lbs. I have only ridden the Stinky around in the parking lot.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyp
    I've heard that the Bighits were pretty heavy. I have weighed the Stinky and on the shop scale it's sitting right around 42lbs. I have only ridden the Stinky around in the parking lot.

weigh the Big Hit too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    weigh the Big Hit too
    the problem is that I don't have in the shop to weigh. my boss doesn't really like to stock FR/DH bikes because we are located anywhere near a mountain

No Fear!
    Stinky

Meh.
    They'll be pretty similar in weight.

The Kona has the new DOPE compatible rear end if the brake jack really bothers you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My 06 Bighit 2 with Marz Z.1 weighs 40 lbs even on a home scale. I had the shop swap out the Dropoff triple which was probably a couple of pounds heavier.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    how do the specs on each compare? it seems to me that the bighit is speced better

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The new bighits are SICK, there were a bunch of pros running them as the race bikes last year.
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

dh-er
    Nov 2006
    what pros ran them?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottJensen
    what pros ran them?
    A few of the local ones around the bay area
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

i drink shower water
    id go with the big hit.. i havent ridin a linkage i like more than FSR.. a lot of pros for specialized are riding demos and S works Enduro's. the big hits are nice. I had a med 06 big hit last year and i just sold it and got a 07 FSR 3 big hit this year in a small.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I say go with the stinky. I have ridden/owned lots of bikes, but continually come back to the stinky.They actually pedal pretty good as well. Both are nice rides and neither will dissapoint. Its really about which bike feels better to you. When I was riding Vail and keystone last summer, I chose my stinky/fox 36 over my v-10/Fox 40 a majority of the time. Good luck with your decision and enjoy your new ride!!

ez

Premium Member
    BigHit. They make sick race bikes, some pros and semis here in SoCal run 'em 'cause they're light and cheap.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    at this point I'm leaning towards the Bighit, but I have one more question: does the Bighit pedal remotely as well as the Stinky? I do want to be able to pedal around in the woods.

Members who have read this thread: 0