A few questions.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

A few questions.

I did not see any FAQ. I have been mountain biking for a few years (XC) and just had a few questions. I just picked up a Surly Instigator, and it has one long A$$ seat why? My second question is about the gearing it has no big chain ring just a bash guard. Third and last it has a 24" rear wheeI and a 26" front just wondering about these set ups? Thanks for any info.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi

mtbr member
    Welcome ,
    The seat is long so in steep sections you have more to sit back on... And that leadsd me to the 24" wheel question. Most likely the rear wheel is a 24" is because it will slack the HA ( meaning it will be much easier and more comfortable in steep terrain and at high speeds) I truly dont know the reason why freeride bikes dont have a big ring, one idea might be for clearance, another could be its hard to find a good strong bashguard for a big ring ( evil supercharger excluded) someone will know the exact reason...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    Welcome ,
    The seat is long so in steep sections you have more to sit back on... And that leadsd me to the 24" wheel question. Most likely the rear wheel is a 24" is because it will slack the HA ( meaning it will be much easier and more comfortable in steep terrain and at high speeds) I truly dont know the reason why freeride bikes dont have a big ring, one idea might be for clearance, another could be its hard to find a good strong bashguard for a big ring ( evil supercharger excluded) someone will know the exact reason...
    isn't this bike a rigid single speed?

mtbr member

No

It has a shiver sc up front 120 or 130mm of travel, 8 speed drive train with no big ring, and a rear 24" with a 3.0 tire, and a 26" front with a Kujo 2.65 tire. I just wanted to know why the bike would be set up like this, I want to make some changes like a big chain ring, and a 26" rear tire, but I do not want to change it out and find out it was set up like this for a reason. Thanks

Can I be Sancho instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by paramountz
    ...and it has one long A$$ seat why?...
    Because 2 of them would be akward

Trials Superstar
    It has a shiver sc up front 120 or 130mm of travel, 8 speed drive train with no big ring, and a rear 24" with a 3.0 tire, and a 26" front with a Kujo 2.65 tire. I just wanted to know why the bike would be set up like this, I want to make some changes like a big chain ring, and a 26" rear tire, but I do not want to change it out and find out it was set up like this for a reason. Thanks
    Im a pretty big fan of Surly and I think that build sounds sweet for an Instigator. What is going to be the main use for your bike? Light Freeriding? Urban? Downhill? XC?
    Your bike, as it is right now, is set up as a great all around "freeride hardtail'' that can take a more punishment then most can dish out. The bash ring was probably fitted to protect the two smaller rings from damage (be it urban features, logs, drops, etc). If you are interested in making this bike XC oriented, keep the fork, add a large ring, and pop a 26" on the rear. You will want to ditch those tires due to their EXTREMLY high weight. If you are looking for a bike for jumping, drops, and all around abuse, keep your build as is. Do you have any pictures of the bike? Good luck man,

Dan
    Please purchase products from JensonUSA your #1 Internet Dealer for MTB parts!

AS SEEN ON THE X-GAMES and GRAVITY GAMES! How would you like to go 80 MPH on a bike 4 inches from the ground? Well you can learn how at GravityBike.com the home for BMX Speed Machines!

2004-2005 Sponsors
    Maxxis Tires
    Targert Sponsor
    Azonic
    Hayes

go big or go home
    sounds like you got one fine ass rig to start out on

mtbr member
    Here are some crappy pics
    Shiver SC
    4 piston xt hydros
    thomson post
    salsa cro-mo handelbar
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

few more

pics of the bike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can I be Sancho instead?
    I suggest changing them rims out...i had a set of that brand that came stock on my rock hopper....yeah, not the sturdiest

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by double_a
    I suggest changing them rims out...i had a set of that brand that came stock on my rock hopper....yeah, not the sturdiest
    whatever, i have a set of Alex DX32 rims, strongest and best rims i have ever used. ever.......

they've seen more abuse on my DJ bike for the past few years than all of the rimsets you've ever used combined..........

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    whatever, i have a set of Alex DX32 rims, strongest and best rims i have ever used. ever.......

they've seen more abuse on my DJ bike for the past few years than all of the rimsets you've ever used combined..........
    ya, i hear dx32's arent bad at alll

Pro Crastinator
    mine are a set of Planet X "BMF" rims, simply a rebadged set of Alex DX32's...

Alex Makes rims for a ton of other companies as well. not to mention, just about every hardcore BMXer, uses a set of Alex tripple walls, myself included. don't believe me? go to a skatepark sometime..............

Can I be Sancho instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.

I must ride harder than you... j/k

Maybe it was just my model.
    I have Sun Ringle Mammoth Rims now.....they are a beast...

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by double_a
    I must ride harder than you... j/k

Maybe it was just my model.
    I have Sun Ringle Mammoth Rims now.....they are a beast...
    are those the BFR's? I was lookin into one of those...how big do you go on those?

Can I be Sancho instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by bentimby
    are those the BFR's? I was lookin into one of those...how big do you go on those?
    Yeah I believe they are the BFR's

What do you mean "how big do you go on those?"

I feel i'm being set up for an embarrasment of some sort.

Pro Crastinator
    personally not a fan of the mammoths, i've seen a ton of the brakewalls fold under during hard cornering situations, something to to with the tall profile in my opinion.....

that being said, tont of cats also use them w/ nary a problem. my "little" brother for one, and i can vouch for his shreditivity.......