Fenders- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fenders

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004

Fenders

Hey, I have a question that really isn't a question is more what you think. I need a fender for my bike, any suggestions. What would be better a frame fender of a fork mounted fender. If you have any pics of a fender on your bike please post them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JRuss
    Hey, I have a question that really isn't a question is more what you think. I need a fender for my bike, any suggestions. What would be better a frame fender of a fork mounted fender. If you have any pics of a fender on your bike please post them.
    Most name brand fenders I have are generically good, but I like the way my SKS comes off the fork with ease. I only use a fender in the early season or winter due to the nature of the trails where I live, and NOT for digging up public single track. I don't know the brand I keep on my single speed all winter, but I'm perfectly happy with the SKS front and back that come on and off my trail bike with ease.

Please do not consider fenders a licence to wreck sensitive trails or agitate hikers and land managers!

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    Ow definately not, I want a fender more for those rainy days when the water flips up off your tires ( I won't ride muddy trails as I am the builder of most of the FR trails in lower Canada area).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ow definately not, I want a fender more for those rainy days when the water flips up off your tires ( I won't ride muddy trails as I am the builder of most of the FR trails in lower Canada area).
    Then you'll probably like the easy on and off SKS ones I have. We share the trail building, so you probably know how it feels when just a few wreck the progress of many.

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    Yes I know exactly how it feels to come to your not even finished trail and find 8 inch ruts.

nnn
    mtbr member
    I keep my fender off the bike as much as I can but when the rain hits it's back on. Personal preference says don't have one, but weatherman says do

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    How come you don't just leave it on??

mtbr member
    May 2005
    am i the only person that doesn't like to eat rocks, and have them pop up and hit me in the glasses and helmet? i love my front fender in all weather conditions. maybe cause i live in mammoth and we have lots of loose stuff here. i've got popped by decent size rocks in the teeth more than once (a little distracting), but not with a fender. by the way, i use a generic fender that mounts in the head tube using a star nut. i'll take some pics and post them on my lunch break.
    Bomb Hills, not Countries

mtbr member
    May 2005
    i had a the fork mounted fender. it worked good till i hit a tree and it broke. i never bothered to get a new one. they work but are kinda ugly i think. frame fenders dont work as well in my opinion

nnn
    mtbr member
    I simply don't like riding something that looks like it should say Yamaha and not Easton on the side, if you see my drift.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Go with the THE fork mounted XC fender. It is very light and bends completely. I have hit all kinds of things with it and it just springs back into place. Easy on and off with a star nut and bolt, takes about 30 second to put on and take off.

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    Ok cool thanks for the help everyone. I think I will still buy a fender as I seem to have much of the same problem MamothFreeRider has all except with sticks, mudd ect..

Who are the brain police?
    When a pebble shot from my front wheel to under my eyelid (and got lodged there) where it scratched the hell out of my cornea.. thoughts about how a fender looks disappeared.

Fenders are practical.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    Ow man that sucks, do you think you could possible post some pics of your bike with the fender on.. thanks

just along for the ride
    Build your own this will protect you, your frame and your drivetrain from front wheel debris, weight about 200grams but its butt fugly

http://kcbx.net/~tsulaiti/fugly/

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    wow thats ok but I don't need that much protection as I wash my bike of after every ride, I only need a fender to keep the mud, rocks ect. .out of my face, but thanks any way.

I don't have any pics offhand, but its a marzocchi integrated fender.. specific to their line, so I'm not sure if this would help.

I'd be happy to post a pic tonight if you're interested..
    Ween - The Grobe

mtbr member
    May 2005
    damn, that is fulgly. it seems like you would almost create problems in the chainring area with mud, dirt, rocks, twigs getting stuck in there.
    Bomb Hills, not Countries

just along for the ride
    Actually it works well, keeps the debris from your chainrings and the tail end if made long enough can wrap up the seattube to become a rear fender and keep junk getting kicked back from the rear tire onto links, shocks, derailuers. Works good in dusty conditions but not the call in a DH race. I have it on all my bikes, from a faux bar to bighit fsr, HTs, single pivots to I drives. For trail riding it saves ones expensive bits eliminates downtubes dings and keeps the chain a bit cleaner and the rider much cleaner. Its fugly but it does its thing well. Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by MammothFreeRider
    damn, that is fulgly. it seems like you would almost create problems in the chainring area with mud, dirt, rocks, twigs getting stuck in there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

[QUOTE=Locoman]When a pebble shot from my front wheel to under my eyelid (and got lodged there) where it scratched the hell out of my cornea.. thoughts about how a fender looks disappeared.

What about just wearing some goggles instead? Just asking...

I had sun glasses on

[QUOTE=marsb]
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    When a pebble shot from my front wheel to under my eyelid (and got lodged there) where it scratched the hell out of my cornea.. thoughts about how a fender looks disappeared.

What about just wearing some goggles instead? Just asking...
    I had sun glasses on, and they fit close to my face. There was just a narrow margin and I guess the pebble was the equivalent of a magic bullet.

Sometimes I wear goggles, but there's a fogging issue that creaps up from time to time, so they can be a pain in the @ss. A fender weighs next to nothing on the bike, and I don't have to think about it.
    Ween - The Grobe

mtbr member

THE downhill front fender / Spec Enduro rear fender (mud flap)

I have been using the THE downhill front fender all winter on my FXR. I went with the DH version for wider tires. I'm currently running a 2.5 up front and have plenty of fender coverage. It keeps most of the grunge from flying into my face and has held up pretty well and is easy to take on and off... I put a star nut on the bottom side of the steerer tube and can intstall it quickly w/ a 4mm wrench. (it cam with a rubber plug for installation, but I found the star nut worked better)

On the rear I am using a Specialized 2005 enduro fender (actually more of a mud flap than a fender) that worked very well on my Foes. It does not give full coverage, but it does provide decent protection for the shock. (which was my goal). It fit on the FXR with no problems and should work quite well on other frames.

Here are a few pics as requested.

OH $#!% TREE!
    I second the THE downhill fender, where did u get the star nut adapter so you can screw the fender in instead of using that stupid rubber bushing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    THE makes an excellent front fender - used to be called the Dual Sport - smaller than their DH fender and much thicker, stronger plastic. Still plenty of coverage for a DH bike. I only run the front half, because I only care about keeping crap out of my face, don't care if my down tube gets dirty. The plastic bolts must be replaced with metal ones if you're gonna huck.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    THE Pro DH on the front of the FR bike, (no rear fender as we haven't found one that will survive).
    http://the-industries.com/ps_fender_downhill.htm

SKS Shockboard on the Blur & HT.
    http://www.sks-germany.com/en/stage....eite=3&start=6

Also use a Mountian Cycling Accessories Forward Deflector Shield on the Downtubes.
    http://www.ratail.com/forward.html

On the rear of the HT, Rear Deflector Sheild (I have a rack for commuting).
    http://www.ratail.com/rear.html

On the rear of the Blur, I was able to modify a cheap Zefal clip on front fender to fit.
    http://www.zefal.com/AAA/page.php?no...sVTT&langue=an

I live and ride in a rain forest so fenders are required unless you like getting mud in your face all of the time.

Star nut is from any LBS, it is the same one use on the top of your fork under the top cap.

T.Dot Represent
    i had a marzocchi fender and it rocked

i have used other products and all have broken i would suggest either get the olt on marzocchi or dont bother
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

SNOWRIDER
    Ow man that sucks, do you think you could possible post some pics of your bike with the fender on.. thanks
    Here is one, THE downhill front fender on my Norco Man I like it I can even ride without eye protection
    Last edited by Deweydude; 05-17-2005 at 07:11 PM.
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    THE frame fenders work well, you'll see them on peatys bike and a couple of other pros like the Dirt Bike Mag Team...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

just along for the ride
    I'll stick to my 10$ solution to protect me and my bits let the marketing machine grind out new dung riders

Master of Disaster
    Dec 2004
    I had a THE fender on my bike for a while, but it broke when I went over the bars during a race.
    Smell The Glove

mtbr member
    you built MOST of the fr trails in the lower canada area? i must call bs on that one. internet hall of fame bs.
    Divide Bike Bags

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    I'll stick to my 10$ solution to protect me and my bits let the marketing machine grind out new dung riders
    "Also use a Mountian Cycling Accessories Forward Deflector Shield on the Downtubes.
    http://www.ratail.com/forward.html "

is $5.95 US

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    Ok thanks for the suggestions guys I think I will go with THE as I know my LBS has it and I think they are probably my best bet as the majority of you suggested it.

Get the more expensive one as it lasts. The cheap one dies quickly like the rest of the fenders.