favourite all round tire combo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

favourite all round tire combo

I am looking at getting a new set of tires and want to know the best all round all purpose tire combo. By that I mean something that I can pedal uphill with and still descend in the wet Pacific NW fall and winter.

I am thinking 2.35 rear and 2.35 or 2.5 front. I don't really want sticky rubber 'cause I want some longevity and I don't want to spend $100 a tire either.
    Right now I have a panaracer DH pro on the rear wich IMO is quite a good all round rear tire
    and might get another one. For the front I am thinking maybe a Maxxis Minion 2.5 60a.

Any ideas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolatt
    I am looking at getting a new set of tires and want to know the best all round all purpose tire combo. By that I mean something that I can pedal uphill with and still descend in the wet Pacific NW fall and winter.

I am thinking 2.35 rear and 2.35 or 2.5 front. I don't really want sticky rubber 'cause I want some longevity and I don't want to spend $100 a tire either.
    Right now I have a panaracer DH pro on the rear wich IMO is quite a good all round rear tire
    and might get another one. For the front I am thinking maybe a Maxxis Minion 2.5 60a.

Any ideas
    I'm really happy with my Minion DHF 2.5 / High Roller 2.5 combo, but I can't speak for Pac NW performance... i'm in socal. The tires are heavy though and Maxxis only makes a dual ply in those sizes. You could use something like a 2.35 front and rear in single ply if you want to save a significant weight, athough you wouldn't want to do drops/hard dh on them. I was going to order the 2.35 Minion/HR combo for my trailbike, but BTI is all out of them, so I opted to try out the 2.35 Hansventures...

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    I run Kenda Blue Groove tires on my AC1; 2.35 rear and 2.5 front, sticky rubber. If you know how to brake, you shouldn't have that much wear on them. I've been using the same tires for about 7 months, and I think I have about another 2 months on my rear before it needs replacement.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    get those arrows or aeros how ever the hell you spell it bad ass tires for urban and djing if thats what your into.