Fallen Big Hit- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Fallen Big Hit

  1. #1
    Last of the Great Vikings
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    36

    Fallen Big Hit

    I've had my '03 BH comp since it was new, and recently I've noticed that the dropout on the hanger side is bent backwards. upon further inspection I noticed a hairline crack on the top of the drop out. to get a new seatstay from specailized would run me about $300, and even more for one from BETD. I'm asking all of you current and previous Big Hit owners if you have an extra seatstay hanging around could you help fix this fallen stalion.

  2. #2
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,770
    Have you consulted Specialized about possible warranty of the part? Any ideas how you did this?
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

  3. #3
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Zipper
    I've had my '03 BH comp since it was new, and recently I've noticed that the dropout on the hanger side is bent backwards. upon further inspection I noticed a hairline crack on the top of the drop out. to get a new seatstay from specailized would run me about $300, and even more for one from BETD. I'm asking all of you current and previous Big Hit owners if you have an extra seatstay hanging around could you help fix this fallen stalion.
    $300.00????? Who you getting this from? I just purchased a new on for my 03 Expert, after I modified the original and farked it up, for $130.00 through Supergo. Seems like someone may be trying to gouge you on that price, I would seek a second opinion. Seriously, 300 is way, WAY too much.

  4. #4
    WWT
    WWT is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    429
    Specialized offers life-time warranties on thieir frames, so I'm pretty sure they would be willing to work with you bit on this; $300 is way too much money. How told you that it would be 300 bucks? Red5 is right, it should be no more than $130...

  5. #5
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by WWT
    Specialized offers life-time warranties on thieir frames, so I'm pretty sure they would be willing to work with you bit on this; $300 is way too much money. How told you that it would be 300 bucks? Red5 is right, it should be no more than $130...
    I thought life-time warranties meant that stuff is free (besides shipping)...my stinky's was free
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTBsSd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    895
    sounds like he's the origional owner... should be free
    "Better safe than scarry"

    www.3dmtb.net

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,699
    if they choose to warranty it. It's a warranty against manufacture defects, not "after I modified the original and farked it up" cases...

    Shouldn't have any trouble warrantying it though

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    498
    you are out of luck. It happened to mine to. If youve had it for more than a year than its not under warrenty any more. according to specialized anything but the front triangle is a "frame Part" and only has a 1 year warrenty. atleast thats according to my lbs. They charged me 55 bucks to order a new one from specialized so i think whoever qouted you that price is trying to **** you over.

  9. #9
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by dhracer1067
    you are out of luck. It happened to mine to. If youve had it for more than a year than its not under warrenty any more. according to specialized anything but the front triangle is a "frame Part" and only has a 1 year warrenty. atleast thats according to my lbs. They charged me 55 bucks to order a new one from specialized so i think whoever qouted you that price is trying to **** you over.
    eff it call Specialize directly
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  10. #10
    jibber of the unjibbable
    Reputation: Cooter.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    662
    yeah, you're getting it with no vaseline, just a match and a little bit o' gasoline, damn!! I hope you're at least getting a kiss with that one

    I just replaced mine last week, $98.

    Although it seems Spesh could have engineered these parts a little beefier, like more material around the dropout part + made them a thru axle design
    Boogie down to free James Brown

  11. #11
    jibber of the unjibbable
    Reputation: Cooter.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    662
    yeah, you're getting it with no vaseline, just a match and a little bit o' gasoline, damn!! I hope you're at least getting a kiss with that one

    I just replaced mine last week, $98.

    Although it seems Spesh could have engineered these parts a little beefier, like more material around the dropout part + made them a thru axle design
    Boogie down to free James Brown

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Morda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    147
    Specialized is the coolest company, warranty-wise. They will take your frame and warranty it with no problem, sometimes even if you are not an original owner.

    Peace.

  13. #13
    Innovate or die!
    Reputation: j6105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    702

    hahahha

    HEY RED5 WHO IS YOUR DADDY NOW!!! The odds of this turning up on mtbr kindof prove my point..... owned.........
    170mm profile crankset, silver king headset barely used, new blackspire chainguide, old version hope mini brakes---- all for sale at i-wanna-get-rid-of-it prices. I'm gone all of july after the 10th, other than that PM me if interested.

  14. #14
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,770
    Quote Originally Posted by j6105
    HEY RED5 WHO IS YOUR DADDY NOW!!! The odds of this turning up on mtbr kindof prove my point..... owned.........
    Lol. It does seem ironic.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

  15. #15
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,025
    Quote Originally Posted by j6105
    HEY RED5 WHO IS YOUR DADDY NOW!!! The odds of this turning up on mtbr kindof prove my point..... owned.........
    OWNED??? Ha, I don't think so bub. I said I'd never heard of one breaking, I didn't say I didn't beleive you. Do you recall me ever disputing your claims?? NO. I just wanted to know where the breaks occured on the frames you saw, which for anyone who owns a Big Hit, like myself, should be curious about so we can keep an keen eye on those particular areas. So F the owned crap. And yet again I thank you for the valuable info.

    One thing you may not yet understand or know about me. I've learned my lessons on these boards and it's doubtful I'm ever (again) going to put myself in a position to be made a fool of or make a fool of myself. Nice try though.

    From my original post...
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    WOW, thanks. I'd never heard of a broken Big Hit before, though I was sure there had been some, but the fact that you've seen two really surprised me. Very interesting, thanks.
    That doesn't sound like a guy who's arguing with you. Does it??? now who's been OWNED!!!
    Last edited by RED5; 05-03-2005 at 08:52 PM.

  16. #16
    Innovate or die!
    Reputation: j6105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    702
    i just had a passionate moment remembering our discussion on bighit vs. demo, when i said i had seen 2 bighits and you did not believe me. Ahh well, i just feel sorry for the guy paying 300 bucks or whatever.
    170mm profile crankset, silver king headset barely used, new blackspire chainguide, old version hope mini brakes---- all for sale at i-wanna-get-rid-of-it prices. I'm gone all of july after the 10th, other than that PM me if interested.

  17. #17
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,025
    Quote Originally Posted by j6105
    i just had a passionate moment remembering our discussion on bighit vs. demo, when i said i had seen 2 bighits and you did not believe me. Ahh well, i just feel sorry for the guy paying 300 bucks or whatever.
    re-read my edited post above again. I think you'll be somewhat surprised, since I never said I didn't beleive you.

  18. #18
    Innovate or die!
    Reputation: j6105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    702
    hmm maybe it was because i thought you were being sarcastic......i am a very defensive guy when it comes to this board...... yeah.......now i feel bad........crap well thanks for being cool..........owned was not the right word.......... sleep time
    170mm profile crankset, silver king headset barely used, new blackspire chainguide, old version hope mini brakes---- all for sale at i-wanna-get-rid-of-it prices. I'm gone all of july after the 10th, other than that PM me if interested.

  19. #19
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,025
    Quote Originally Posted by j6105
    hmm maybe it was because i thought you were being sarcastic......i am a very defensive guy when it comes to this board...... yeah.......now i feel bad........crap well thanks for being cool..........owned was not the right word.......... sleep time
    ah no bad feelings, we're all e-brothas, iz all kool. i know how you feel, sometimes it's hard to tell were the peeps are coming from. we'z all strait.

  20. #20
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,025
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    sounds like an intraweb hug iz comin on.
    werd, on the realz.


Similar Threads

  1. Welcome, here's your 29er FAQ thread!
    By ncj01 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 147
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 01:56 PM
  2. Big Hit better than Gemini
    By pangaea420 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 06-05-2005, 06:49 PM
  3. 26" Big Hit rear conversion kit
    By goldfish in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 02:44 PM
  4. big hit ?
    By bikeforlife in forum Specialized
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 07:53 PM
  5. big hit pedaling?s
    By bikeforlife in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 12:40 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.