Fail Question but... Rear Wheel Removal- Mtbr.com
    I could gap that.
    Jul 2008

Fail Question but... Rear Wheel Removal

I'm failing hard tonight. How do I take the wheel off my Demo? It's a hollow axle with an 8mm allen wrench hole on the non-drive side and a black bolt on the drive side. Whenever I take that black bolt off, the axle just turns and won't come out, how do I fix this...?
    Demo 8
    P1
    http://www.chainsmokeracing.net/
    Sponsors: Twenty6, ODI, Elka, Crank Bros, Sixsixone, Azonic, Specialized

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    on one side hold the bolt with a ratchet that fits the bolt so it dosen't move and on the opposite side turn counter-clockwise with the 8mm allen
    Mamma speed I'm back!!!

Glad to Be Alive
    OMG post of the year.....sorry......use allen on one side and wrench on the other
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    OMG post of the year.....sorry......use allen on one side and wrench on the other
    Wha?!?! this is right...isn't it?
    Mamma speed I'm back!!!

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    Yeah no shiz, I've been doing that. The axel keeps turning though and won't loosen to come out. The bolt comes off no prblem though.
    Demo 8
    P1

mtbr member
    I've never seen one of these, but can't you leave the bolt in part way and push the axle out a ways, then remove the bolt and pull the axle out?

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    Doesn't seem like it.
    Demo 8
    P1

Glad to Be Alive
    pull bolt with plyers out after taking off nut
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    get a hammer

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    drink a beer. If it still isn't clear, drink another one. Keep going until it becomes clear.

mtbr member
    Pull on the bolt. If the nut is really off on the one side, the bolt will slide out...TRUST ME. Pull hard...it is a thruaxle right,not a QR?
    Hey, My Picture is Finally of Me!!!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    drink a beer. If it still isn't clear, drink another one. Keep going until it becomes clear.

drink a case or just go to the LBS

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It's not a true through axle so you only need to loosen it and the wheel will come out.

The thing you are probably struggling with is the Derialluer protector/stiffener which is connected to the end of the axle.

There is a 4mm (from memory) bolt that needs to be undone, slide the protector/stiffener thing off and drop the wheel out just like a quick release wheel would.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Tap it out with a punch + hammer or something similar after removing the nut. Use grease on the axles next time before install.

Now with More Wood
    Depending on who is right here, there could be a lot of fails in this thread. We have had suggestions to whack it out with a hammer, pull it out with plyers, or dismount a small 4mm bolt that holds a deraileur protector and then drop it out like a quick release. Since all these can't be right at the same time, and given that at least 1 hour elapsed between the hammer/plyer suggestions and the suggestion that implies that a hammer/plyer job would probably ruin the whole thing (i.e. it drops out like a quick release), there could be some drama yet to come here....

Probably the beer suggestion is still valid though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Bingo, the black 'nut' is actually a nut and deraileur protector. unwind the none drive side with an allen key and then pull the entire bolt out. You don't need to pull the axle/bolt all the way out, but this will ensure it is detached from the deraileur suppport nut on the drive side.

Then pull the black nut on the driveside out sideways away from the frame, it has a 12-20mm extension that fits right into the deraileur pivot bolt, then lift the wheel out.

Your wheel won't come out because you haven't pulled the deraileur support out sideways from the frame.

oh and er.

RTFM

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    I had the concept right...

There was a piece of metal, an excess part of the frame that was supposed to be shaved off or w/e that was blocking the dropout. The lbs I bought it at cut it off and gave me a new rear triangle from the Demo they had in stock. We also found locktite on axle... Great people I work with (same people that put 3M spray glue on my stanchions).
    Demo 8
    P1

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by specializedbeta18
    Great people I work with (same people that put 3M spray glue on my stanchions).
    wut... why would one do such a thing

Thats pretty sweet they hooked you up with a new rear triangle though.
    Bike good, work bad.

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    wut... why would one do such a thing

Thats pretty sweet they hooked you up with a new rear triangle though.
    Lol, that's not to mention the 3M they put on my, then brand new, selle italia saddle ($140) with toilet paper stuck to it. Also, they switched my brake levers around, didn't notice until I pulled it trying to stop at an intersection. Took my fork off and seat post out and put nuts, bolts, and washers IN my frame. Filled my tubes up with water. Put the shop stickers all over my frame. Etc.

Oh, and when I got a new saddle, a guy we ride with is a tattoo artist and was nice enough to tattoo about 20 penises on it while I was in England.
    Demo 8
    P1

check your six
    Lol, that's not to mention the 3M they put on my, then brand new, selle italia saddle ($140) with toilet paper stuck to it. Also, they switched my brake levers around, didn't notice until I pulled it trying to stop at an intersection. Took my fork off and seat post out and put nuts, bolts, and washers IN my frame. Filled my tubes up with water. Put the shop stickers all over my frame. Etc.

Oh, and when I got a new saddle, a guy we ride with is a tattoo artist and was nice enough to tattoo about 20 penises on it while I was in England.
    Yo man, you might want to re-evaluate your friends there. Some of those "pranks" would warrant an ass-whoopin in my book. Glued seat & stanchions? WTF? The nuts and bolts one never gets old! .lol...
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak06
    Yo man, you might want to re-evaluate your friends there. Some of those "pranks" would warrant an ass-whoopin in my book. Glued seat & stanchions? WTF? The nuts and bolts one never gets old! .lol...

Seriously, there is good fun and then there is property damage...

Although hotdogs down seat tubes and raw eggs in road bike bottom brackets never get old.

Scrambled eggs anyone?

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak06
    Yeah, I know. But they worked with me at the same bike shop. So there was not much I could do other than quit. They're also 20 and 22 years old, im 17 and they have 1 foot on me. once again, not much I could do.
    Demo 8
    P1

THELAND photographer
    Yeah, I know. But they worked with me at the same bike shop. So there was not much I could do other than quit. They're also 20 and 22 years old, im 17 and they have 1 foot on me. once again, not much I could do.

sounds like we have a class A B1tch on our hands here... i know im one to prank my younger co workers, but they definately stick up for themselves when it gets past a certain point......that being said...stop being a little b1tch and do something..give em a taste of their own medicine....
    No matter what you do, go ahead and take the chance and live a bit crazy
    www.freeridepark.com
    Http://jah9417.cias.rit.edu

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Sb18: dude it's time for the turd in a box....

cdaleproph, wow that's helpful..

Members who have read this thread: 0