Explain to me what I like- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Explain to me what I like

Maybe someone can decipher my ramblings and tell me what I like.

I have tried/owned many bikes and designs, SP -Four Bar- Maestro. Overall I feel that suspension type is not really important as much as frame geometry. I been riding mostly 6" travel bikes starting with on order: Cove G-Spot, Cannondale Jekyll, Gemini, Devinci Guzzler, Prophet, Norco Six, Trance, Reign. All of them felt good at one point then I fell out of love with them for reasons I'm not sure of. I also have been riding them pretty much on the same trails for the past 7 years.

I recently demoed a Prophet MX and while the suspension wasn't all that smooth I felt the geometry was fabulous, that thing felt so stable and aggressive going downhill. I had a Gemini built similar to the MX and I think it rode similar but I'm not 100% sure. I think I ultimately sold it because I felt it didn't climb well. I had a cheaper Prophet for a while but it didn't seem to inspire confidence.

The Trance and Reign climb great but for me just don't inspire confidence in technical single track descending. I have a Z1 light on the Reign

I feel I am out of the ordinary when I say the Norco sucked for climbing and seemed to suck the life out of me with every uphill pedal stroke. Others seem to think it climbs reasonably well. It also didn't feel all that stable to me going downhill. It was a 2006 Six with a Z1 light.

The G-Spot was a long time ago but I seem to remember it being a nice ride and I sold it to get a light bike.

The Jekyll seems to be the bike I regret selling. I remember it being quite plush with only four or so inches of travel and the lefty was solid.

So what do I like? I think geometry may be the most important thing for me. A small-ish, slack, not heavy bike sounds good but is that the answer. I want to be able to climb technical ascents and feel confident going down. What makes me feel confident going down, I'm not sure. Is it a really slack head angle regardless of travel? I sure would like to figure this out before I go broke and my girlfriend and I have to sell our house to pay for another bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Czech out a Bullit. It sounds like the bike you want.

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    Blur!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    El Guapo or RFX.

ps: The Jekyll was an old school classic I agree. Great trail bike

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by coolatt
    Maybe someone can decipher my ramblings and tell me what I like.
    Sounds to me like you like Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain.

Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    as far as your ride on the prophet and expereinces with the other c-dale rigs. with a single pivot design the riding characteristics are inheretly more sensative to the rear shock quality and how it is set up. IMHO if you decide on a single pivot design the most important component on the bike is a good rear shock. So your bad expereinces on the 'cheaper prophet' probably had alot to do with having a poor shock. The newer and more expensive shocks are 'smarter' and can be dialed in better to balance out the pedalability vs. absorbing bumps. And your recent ride on the mx may just be a matter of setting up the shock and dialing it in which takes a few rides.

The more complex design of the trance and reign are suppose to emprove pedaling/climbing efficiencies but they are less sensative(all things being equal) the absorbing bumps than a single pivot design. Again shock functions like pedal platform, ect allow you to fine tune yoru ride.

Also your mention of lack of confidence on descents all seem to come from bike that were more xc/am setups. Which makes perfect sense and those bike tend to put you in a more forward riding position which is why 'gravity' rigs have more slack angles, short stems, shorter top tube, etc putting you in a better riding position on the descents. Thats what makes you more confident going down.

The amount of travel and build will depend on how big you like to go, the amount of climbing v. decending, terrain, and your riding style weight.

i would say take a look at less xc-am style rides like blur 4x, for example. similar to prophet mx is going to be a much better climbing bike. There are a ton of options out there so it comes down to brand preferences, the questions i mentioned above and of course $$.

mtbr member
    I'm going to say you like things when they are new. Then, in time, you notice more of their faults (all bikes have em). Maybe even blame YOUR faults on the "old" bike (all riders have em). Riding the same trails for 7 years won't make you much better of a rider. And if you can't be a better rider, you focus on the bike. If you can't get better, maybe your bike can, right?! I'm thinking keep the bike you have (what is it you ride now?) and obsess over riding your bike better. Travel more and you will improve yourself and fall in love with the bike that made it possible (lol).
    This won't hurt a bit...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by santaheckler
    I'm going to say you like things when they are new. Then, in time, you notice more of their faults (all bikes have em). Maybe even blame YOUR faults on the "old" bike (all riders have em). Riding the same trails for 7 years won't make you much better of a rider. And if you can't be a better rider, you focus on the bike. If you can't get better, maybe your bike can, right?! I'm thinking keep the bike you have (what is it you ride now?) and obsess over riding your bike better. Travel more and you will improve yourself and fall in love with the bike that made it possible (lol).
    I'm going to say you like things when they are new. Then, in time, you notice more of their faults (all bikes have em).
    Quite possible.

Well I live in vancouver so I ride whistler, squamish, north van so there is a big variety of trails. I feel capable in my abilities to ride almost anything except for 6'+drops and skinnies over say 3ft of the ground. I just feel I don't have confidence in my equipment. I just don't feel safe.

Members who have read this thread: 0