The evil word... "work"- Mtbr.com
    The Beaver

The evil word... "work"

yeah, I know.

I am getting ready to a college degree and I really want to work in the mountain bike industry.

So, What would be a good degree, and how could I use it, what jobs are available? I have been doing a little research on marzocchi's website and some others, but haven't really found to much... would it be better for me to call marzocchi/trek/specialized... etc and see what they have to offer?

Who out there on the board is working for one of these companies? How is it?

Aslo, I have a new rear shock design that I think would change rear shocks for awhile, how can I get it "patented" and sold to a suspension company?
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Well, you need to ask yourself what side of the coin you like better. All companies will have an administrative structure, and a R&D/technical structure. Are you stoked on marketing and sales? What about doing some financial work or human resources stuff? Any company (bicycles companies included) can use someone with a degree is business and an emphasis in marketing, finance, etc...

Or, are you a technical guy? Is research and product development your thing? You may look at mechanical or materials engineering. Any company needs qualified engineers to design, test and develop frames and materials... although smaller companies in the industry often outsource.

Or, you could even study industrial design & graphical design if you are more artistically minded.

As someone who has a degree, and is back for another, I would advise you to determine what it is that you want to do as a career, and follow it with all your heart. Not what will make money, not what others may be doing, but what you can see yourself finding satisfaction and reward in.

Good luck.

mtbr remember
    whole 'nother side of the coin as well... recreation opportunity provider... as in guide services or outfitter... leading groups/individuals down public trails, or even owning and operating your own facility, and building trails and whatnot... still in the industry, but not working with the manufacturer directly. still would require a 4yr degree in a majority of the cases, and you'd have to know a heck of a lot about liability and whatnot...

and even indirectly with the industry, there is the journalism/photography side of things... working for a mag/vid production company...

just different doors to look into to try to get your way in. I'm still looking a bit myself....
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    An older friend of mine worked at Maxxis and the later Topeak. Maxxis treated him pretty well but he wasn't too happy at Topeak. In both cases, the pay was low, benefits were sub-par and there wasn't much in terms of "working up the ladder" When he left Topeak he was offered a job at Kenda, but decided he had had enough of the biking industry. The
    only real perk was the free stuff. But obviously, bigger companies like Marz or Specialized could be different so its worth looking into.

P.S. Sorry if I discouraged you, but I just wanted to share a buddies experiences.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker662
    An older friend of mine worked at Maxxis and the later Topeak. Maxxis treated him pretty well but he wasn't too happy at Topeak. In both cases, the pay was low, benefits were sub-par and there wasn't much in terms of "working up the ladder" When he left Topeak he was offered a job at Kenda, but decided he had had enough of the biking industry. The
    only real perk was the free stuff. But obviously, bigger companies like Marz or Specialized could be different so its worth looking into.

P.S. Sorry if I discouraged you, but I just wanted to share a buddies experiences.
    I would think Maxxis is one of the "bigger" companies, up there with Marz/Specialized and whatnot...

and you're completely right, anyone getting into this industry most def. won't be going for the money or benefits. tough stuff, and I'm sure a lot of cutthroat competition and backstabbing among smaller companies....
    but, just some words of encouragement,
    if you manage to find a job you truly do love, you'll never work a day in your life!
    Unfortunetly for me, I'm still working. haha... but looking for change.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    My brother currently works for Trek, in IT. So bigger companies will have potential openings in almost any category... Like someone else mentioned, follow your heart. If you don't enjoy what you do, it won't matter how much you make.

Good luck!

The Beaver
    well I know it wouldn't be for the money, but I would rather like what I do than hate it (like most of the working people I know)

I hadn't even thought about the design part of things, that could be a lot of fun, or even the trail builder..

Thanks for the input, Danny
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    whole 'nother side of the coin as well... recreation opportunity provider... as in guide services or outfitter...
    A good customer of mine runs an guiding/outfitter biz. no hunting, and he's only into the hiking-trip of things. but it seems like such a cool job, and he seems to make pretty good coin doing it

Wayodh does it in Peru, there's a few threads of his amazing trps

i drink shower water
    to work in an industry like Mountain biking you should get a Business Degree with a minor or emphasis in something like Recreation, Marketing, Art, etc.

yea i know i said, a lot of businesses are looking to higher people with an art background because it shows that they are abstract thinkers and the first idea that pops in their head is not a generic run of the mill idea. i guarantee alot of mtb companies have art people in their advertising teams.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i just got into virginia tech yesterday to do mechanical engineering. i'm hoping to eventually get a job in the bike industry as well. but just like what everyone else has said ya gotta figure out what ya wanna do (more specific that work with bikes) and go with it. i just lucked out and my two passions overlapped

something typed here
    Quote Originally Posted by NWfreeride
    As someone who has a degree, and is back for another, I would advise you to determine what it is that you want to do as a career, and follow it with all your heart. Not what will make money, not what others may be doing, but what you can see yourself finding satisfaction and reward in.

Good luck.
    Very well said, I couldnt agree more! I barely can pay my bills every month, but I love my job and couldnt see doing any thing else for all the money in the world.

Members who have read this thread: 0