Eurobike 2008: LaPierre- Mtbr.com
    banned

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Eurobike 2008: LaPierre

And something of a rig targeted perhaps at the Nomad, RFX, et al. I wouldn't be surprised if it's really good at pedaling.

Now with More Wood
    ^^ unless they re-tuned the pivot point on that green bike (the Zesty), I think it might not be all that hot with a Hammerschmidt. My Enduro SL (which has the same suspension i.e. FSR, which Lapierre cannot sell in the US because of the Horst link Patent held by Spesh) definitely does not pedal as well in the granny ring as in the middle one. Just saying.

The DH bike looks awesome (although once again, they didn't exactly re-invent the wh....suspension....duh....)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The DH 920 is 17,34 kilo. No problem to get it under 17 by removing the wheels and tires and replace it with maxxis and Hope stuff...Blingbling as f.....yeah!

Enforcer
    Jul 2007
    those lapierres look sweet they r defineatly stepping it up
    Quote Originally Posted by holoholo
    why should I search google--when I can get a know-it-all like you to do it?
    Legend...

Glad to Be Alive
    dh bike looks hot
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    green bike (the Zesty)
    That is not Zesty. Looks like a Froggy but not one of the models on the Lapierre site.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    This is the Froggy 718 limited. A run below 100 pieces including the Hammerschmidt and so on...Even the Lapierre staff in germany didn´t know that this one exists. released just on the demo days at Eurobike. Goes for € 4799,- in Germany but also includes VAT of 19%...

mtbr member
    the froggy is nice.

mtbr member

The DH bike looks awesome (although once again, they didn't exactly re-invent the wh....suspension....duh....)
    Actually if feels different to the suspension that supposedly blocks it's in us.

I still wait for them to sell frame only as I want to upgrade my dh-230 and the 920 is absolutely hot.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That is a Mavic rims right? Didn't see it clearly & those fork are looking awesome! DH Bike is my dream bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yes, this is the new 2009 Mavic Deemax. The fork will only be available in this bike, coz it´s tuned by Nichola Vouilloz for Saab / Lapierre Team...
    Papa Midnight - shop owner
    www.radstand-bielefeld.de

dontcha?
    both are really dope looking.. def. diggint the dh bike, the all-mountain bike looks just like a new nomad(to me), not a bad thing really..
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    ^^ unless they re-tuned the pivot point on that green bike (the Zesty), I think it might not be all that hot with a Hammerschmidt. My Enduro SL (which has the same suspension i.e. FSR, which Lapierre cannot sell in the US because of the Horst link Patent held by Spesh) definitely does not pedal as well in the granny ring as in the middle one. Just saying.

I’ve found that Lapierre’s bikes, in particular the ones running OST (Horst Link) suspension are very hard to make bob, in fact if you set it up correctly it has very little pedal feedback and actually bobs a little less than my Maestro suspension Giant Trance so it’s considerable better than anything by Spesh at the moment. Lapierre is known for attention to detail and considering the problems they had with last years rear shocks I’d be surprised if they didn’t have the rear shock tuned specially for the HammerSchmidt. Although a similar design to VPP they did actually design the suspension themselves specially for it, the X-control XC bike is the one they did less suspension designing on…

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    LaPierre definitely makes a gorgeous dh bike. The frame looks stunning. To an uninformed observer (such as myself) the suspension design looks similar to Giant's Maestro. Is it?

Also, wanted to say thank you to Jerk Chicken. The pics from Eurobike have been awesome and I apreciate you putting them up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    LaPierre definitely makes a gorgeous dh bike. The frame looks stunning. To an uninformed observer (such as myself) the suspension design looks similar to Giant's Maestro. Is it?

Also, wanted to say thank you to Jerk Chicken. The pics from Eurobike have been awesome and I apreciate you putting them up.
    It’s closer to Santa Cruz’s VPP because the lower link moves down and backwards and not up like DW Link and Maestro bikes.

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    It’s closer to Santa Cruz’s VPP because the lower link moves down and backwards and not up like DW Link and Maestro bikes.
    Also looks like there might be some notable chain growth with that setup...
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

Capricious youth...
    I thought that the Lapierre wasn't going to be able to be sold in the U.S. due to DW-Link patent infringement.

Am I wrong?
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    I thought that the Lapierre wasn't going to be able to be sold in the U.S. due to DW-Link patent infringement.

Am I wrong?
    I was under the impression it was VPP, here’s another pic, if anyone actually knows for sure please tell us…

This is what Pinkbike has to say on it but I’ve heard other people say it’s DW and peoples accounts of how the suspension works don’t seem to tally…

“LaPierre is calling theirs FPS2, which is their version of a VPP system. In fact, it is close enough that the DH230 won't be sold in the U.S. due to patents and so on and so forth.”

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    I’ve found that Lapierre’s bikes, in particular the ones running OST (Horst Link) suspension are very hard to make bob, in fact if you set it up correctly it has very little pedal feedback and actually bobs a little less than my Maestro suspension Giant Trance so it’s considerable better than anything by Spesh at the moment. Lapierre is known for attention to detail and considering the problems they had with last years rear shocks I’d be surprised if they didn’t have the rear shock tuned specially for the HammerSchmidt. Although a similar design to VPP they did actually design the suspension themselves specially for it, the X-control XC bike is the one they did less suspension designing on…
    Its not so much the bob I was talking about, more the slightly flexier feel of the rear when you pedal in the granny ring as oppsoed to the middle (because the chain force will not be completely aligned with the chain stay or the virtual line drawn from rear pivot point to front pivot point). The closer to the top of the chainring the pivot point is the better, I guess, certainly with regards to kickback and flex and whatever. So not really tunable with the shock in the same way the bob would be, more about geometry. I could be way off, wouldn't be the first time.
    Of course chain growth is a factor too (i.e. the path of the rear wheel in relation to the chainring).

Most reviews I've read give very high marks to Lapierre in general, so I'm pretty sure they make good bikes. Of course, most reviews I read about Lapierre bikes are in French MTB mags, so I guess they are not THAT impartial...(in fact, I think French could write the book on national pride or perhaps to be more precise on how to always seem to look slightly down on other nations...I should know I lived there for 14 years and mt wife is French ). But yeah, great bikes, I'm sure.

PS. And EGF, almost everything would be better than "anything by Spesh", obviously.

mtbr member
    Well I can tell you the Zesty and Spicy have very stiff rear ends, the massive Horst pivot, asymmetrical chain stays and generally strong but reasonably light tubing make them both very stiff and the Froggy looks even more solid. The Zesty and Spicy have slack angles and a nicely confidence inspiring riding position that allows you to plough though a lot of stuff that other all mountain bikes just can’t. I posted up a few non French reviews up here. You know me, anything Spesh automatically gets badmouthed but they can sometimes have rear end waggle when you put the power down which is something the Lapierre’s don’t have. There’s very little if any pedal feedback on the OST bikes and I didn’t notice any on the FPS2 bikes, but now I come to look at the design it looks like there should be…

Build More = Ride More
    Strange suspension design.

Not either DW or VPP.

Kinda like an upside down VPP.

mtbr member
    I think that those bikes are pimptastic. Just one more reason to strongly consider moving to Europe.

Equal opportunity meanie
    It looks like it would do very bad things to the suspension if you did a lot of manualing or came down really hard on your back wheel....

StraightOuttaCompton
    sick bikes.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

EastBaySteez
    Wow... that DH bike is SUPER clean

Id beat
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

fan of maple syrup
    Froggy (green one above) is on the International Website:
    http://www.lapierrebikes.com/lapierr...ons/FROGGY-518

Nice lineup of OST (Horst Link) Bikes now:
    Zesty - 140mm
    Spicy - 160mm
    Froggy - 180mm
    (names are a little off though)

If the Spicy came with ISCG mounts (to either run a chain guard or Hammerschmidt/B-Boxx) it'd be perfect.

The DH230 is a sweet looking rig too - wonder if they'll ever change it's suspension setup to the OST as that's what they're 3 newest rigs (above) are running?

Still a child inside...
    the DH bike is super sexy
    both look high end and high $$$

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    DH 920 gooes for € 5499,-......incl. VAT......

mtbr member
    I Want It!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    send cash...

banned
    I'm still drooling. I can't believe I didn't hear about them more than a couple months ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Midnight
    Wow. The prices go up fast. The 07 dh-230 was 4500Euro.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Midnight
    This has got to stop. That is about $7400 - which is also approximately the list price for a Yamaha YZ450F. I mean really, we all need to go on strike and stop buying mountainbikes or something until these guys get a little less greedy.

OK I know production runs are much bigger on MX bikes, but still.....look at all 'dem 'dere parts in there!!!!!

mtbr member
    This has got to stop. That is about $7400 - which is also approximately the list price for a Yamaha YZ450F. I mean really, we all need to go on strike and stop buying mountainbikes or something until these guys get a little less greedy.

OK I know production runs are much bigger on MX bikes, but still.....look at all 'dem 'dere parts in there!!!!!
    Its not that expensive becuase lapierre is gready but only because the dolar is so damn weak. Think about the fact that 75% of the bikes on the market are us made and are much cheaper in us so actualy you guys have much less to worry about.

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by norbar
    Its not that expensive becuase lapierre is gready but only because the dolar is so damn weak. Think about the fact that 75% of the bikes on the market are us made and are much cheaper in us so actualy you guys have much less to worry about.
    Uuuuhhhhh, it's still freakin' expensive. Even if the dollar were 1:1 with the euro, that's an expensive damn frame. There aren't many US frames that cost $5500......
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by venom600
    There aren't many US frames that cost $5500......
    That's for a complete DH 920 bike, not just a frame.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ah the new lapierre dh 920.. its a great bike... for us in Canada its gonna be the same price as the DH 230.. around 6800-7200 for the customers... its realy a great bike, ive been on this new version of the bike 3 times this summer, and its a realy nice bike, feel like a sunday, but it runs more sag so its like a little mix of a V10 and a Sunday, so its very agile and light, a realy great bike..

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Did you see the cnc´d chainguide? I love details........

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by norbar
    OK, you are right (although it is a Japaneese bike so the weak dollar should have a similar impact) - but that EUR 5,500 will still get you a brand new YZF 125 and still have soom for accessories. Seems a little bit exagerated to me, that's all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    see it this way: You get a brand new high end DH bike. Could you get a brand new high end motorbike for this? And remember: It´s not only the weak US$, the list price i wrote i few days does also include the germany salex tax of 19%!!!
    You guys wouldn´t believe, how much we have to pay for a Yeti 303...

local trails rider
    EUR 5,500 will still get you a brand new YZF 125
    But you cannot pedal the YZF 125, it is noisy, and it might not be allowed in places where a mountain bike is OK.

Get yourself the YZF 125 if you feel that is what you really want.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    But you cannot pedal the YZF 125, it is noisy, and it might not be allowed in places where a mountain bike is OK.

Get yourself the YZF 125 if you feel that is what you really want.
    I don't want a YZF 125. I want a high-end DH bike....

mtbr member
    Lapierre’s seem to be getting a good write up in the uk press too

banned
    Let's say I'm a sadist...is that 920 pedalable?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Let's say I'm a sadist...is that 920 pedalable?
    In what way? Uphills? That's what froggy for. The dh-230 (same susp system) pedals quite good for a dh rig.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    anyone got the specs on that DH rig?

local trails rider
    I don't want a YZF 125. I want a high-end DH bike....
    Surprise, surprise. Hight-end DH bikes cost real money. Go see how much $$$$ it takes to put together a Yeti, Knolly, Intense, Brooklyn Machine Works, ....

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Surprise, surprise. Hight-end DH bikes cost real money. Go see how much $$$$ it takes to put together a Yeti, Knolly, Intense, Brooklyn Machine Works, ....
    In the immortal words of the Stones: "You can't always get what you want...."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waynep
    anyone got the specs on that DH rig?
    http://www.cycles-lapierre.fr/lapierre/ < It's not that hard

banned
    I'm amazed to see the number of fans this company has. I was just attracted to their designs and being across from Turner at EB, it wasn't too hard to get some glimpses that hit me.

Members who have read this thread: 0