ETA not working...AHH- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Upset ETA not working...AHH

hey all, i got my new Z1 dropoff! yay! its great.. kicks the crap outta my psylo.. anyway on to my problem- when the ETA is engaged it creeps back to full travel.. whats up with that? how can i fix it?
    also- the fork is noisy during compression and rebound (bubbly).. does that mean it needs more oil?
    Last edited by k2bikeman498; 03-21-2004 at 06:13 PM.

LUC
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2bikeman498
    does that mean it needs more oil?
    yes...
    Luc.

pdh
    mtbr member
    I have an 01 Z1 and its always creeped back up like that. I've replaced it at the beginning of each season and by the end of the summer it creeps up pretty fast. I had my fork completely overhauled this winter and so far it's worked really well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Unlike most other brand's travel reducing/locking systems, Marz forks use a zero-bleed rebound lockout. Basically they work by stopping the flow of rebound oil once the fork has been compressed. This is a pretty tricky seal to make happen, especially when you consider it's just metal parts that have to do the job (there's no rubber seals involved). Because there's a lot of pressure on the fork to return to full height, sometimes the valve that stops the flow of oil can get tweaked out of proper alignment by a degree or two, which is just enough to let a small amount of oil weep through the assemble and thus the fork creeps back to full height. What I've found with ETA and ECC adjustment from Marz stuff is that it's annoying when the bike is in the stand, but when you're actually riding the bike it doesn't make much of a difference. Generally speaking, the ETA is only used when climbing, and while climbing most riders shift their weight over the front of the bike anyway, which helps to keep the fork down.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well thanks for your advice everyone

Quote Originally Posted by James @ Go-Ride
    Unlike most other brand's travel reducing/locking systems, Marz forks use a zero-bleed rebound lockout. Basically they work by stopping the flow of rebound oil once the fork has been compressed. This is a pretty tricky seal to make happen, especially when you consider it's just metal parts that have to do the job (there's no rubber seals involved). Because there's a lot of pressure on the fork to return to full height, sometimes the valve that stops the flow of oil can get tweaked out of proper alignment by a degree or two, which is just enough to let a small amount of oil weep through the assemble and thus the fork creeps back to full height. What I've found with ETA and ECC adjustment from Marz stuff is that it's annoying when the bike is in the stand, but when you're actually riding the bike it doesn't make much of a difference. Generally speaking, the ETA is only used when climbing, and while climbing most riders shift their weight over the front of the bike anyway, which helps to keep the fork down.
    yea, thats what I thought... i figure if itl b a big deal to fix it, il jsut live with it and push down the front wheel every 2 mins... lol.. i first noticed it while riding, when i went to flick the ETA off, the fork didnt "pop" back up.. it kinds just moved a half inch or so... I only weigh in at 125 lbs, so putting my weight over the front wheel doesnt have much effect in keeping it from creeping back up it also doesnt seem to engage where its supposed to. Marz says 20-30mm of travel is supposed to be available, it seems like the fork sinks only 2-3 inches into its travel as opposed to 4 inches marz is implying. I emailed marz tech-support a day or 2 ago, i'll see what they have to say. Thanks!