Enduro SL or Kona Coiler?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Enduro SL or Kona Coiler?

I'm looking at getting a decent all around bike. I had the 05 Specialized big hit before, but it got stolen and I haven't had a bike for a while. I liked that kind of riding but that thing sucked to pedal around. I'd like a bike that can cruise the down hills, do a few drops and still be out for a long day.

I found deals on an 07 Coiler and the 07 Enduro SL Expert at 2 different shops in town. They agreed to replace all the internals on the SL shocks with 08 stuff before it leaves the shop if I want it.

So which one? I've heard the Coiler is more aggresssive, can the SL with its air shocks handle a bit of the FR stuff too?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well I'm going to go see what the shops will let me do as far as demoing them, looking at purchasing tommorow possibly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Go with the ENDURO SL......i have ridden both. I rode my Kona for 6 years and loved it, but then I got on an Enduro SL and can't believe what i was missing. The Enduro does all the big downhill stuff and pedals uphill amazingly!

Go with the Enduro SL

Living the High Life
    I have an Enduro Elite and I switched it to a 20mm fork and it a great bike. I can't quite keep up with some folks from work on their hard tail XC bikes. But I'm not too far behind, then we its time to descend, they're long gone

I got it for a Super-D bike and I think its great. I've done a few 3' or so drops with it and it handled it well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the coiler is a 37 pound freeride bike, while the sl is a light all mountain bike which can do xc plus a little freeride and downhill, from the type of riding you describe it seems that the sl is the bike for you

clyde in training
    I took my coiler on every trail I ever wanted, up hill or down. it probably isn't the better climber of the two, but I can almost guarantee it is better and more durable with the downhill. I took my coiler off of 10' drops without a problem. So you have your strengths and weakneses, but since this is a downhill/freeride forum, I say the coiler wins.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    the SL can handle FR just fine. throw a single ring on it and go on all day epics. here's a pic of a log roller with maybe 5 foot drop (down and out).
    this was in the middle of a 34 mile XC ride. Show the xc guys whats up when you out climb them with a single ring and get RAD off the jumps and drops they struggle to go around.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The coiler is a freeride bike and the enduro is an all mountain bike they don't really compare they're two very different bikes.I have done some drops on my coiler 8' to flat and it will take the abuse I have also taken the demo enduro sl from our shop out and it didn't hold up at all blew up the fork on a 3 ' drop to a nice tranny.I am 220 pounds but I leave the choice up to you.Test ride both then decide.They are both great bikes.

clyde in training
    Quote Originally Posted by SJensen
    here's a pic of a log roller with maybe 5 foot drop
    if that drop was 5 feet, then here is one of me on my coiler that is about 20
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TOIemf4XkR4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TOIemf4XkR4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

also, I am about 220 and my coiler never gave me a problem

mtbr member
    May 2008
    See thats the deal they both can pedal around. I like that the SL is lighter, but can it handle a 5 foot drop? The 6 inch fork on the front seems beefy, but I hear a lot of conflicting stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 08nwsula
    if that drop was 5 feet, then here is one of me on my coiler that is about 20
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TOIemf4XkR4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TOIemf4XkR4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

also, I am about 220 and my coiler never gave me a problem

like i said, somewhere around 5 feet out and down. learn to read. were not doing pinkbike measurements. trying to give a perspective. if your trying to turn this into a pissing contest, ive got a bladder full
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

clyde in training
    Quote Originally Posted by SJensen
    like i said, somewhere around 5 feet out and down. learn to read. were not doing pinkbike measurements. trying to give a perspective. if your trying to turn this into a pissing contest, ive got a bladder full
    hahahahah

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    remember that Specialized has the best warrantee in the business and Kona basically has no warrantee.... no brainer for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydub69
    remember that Specialized has the best warrantee in the business and Kona basically has no warrantee.... no brainer for me.

Quoted for comic value

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    u debating about durability, if the first jump is example bout that, my HT is adamantium tank,
    those bikes can take much bigger drops (im not dishing any1)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the only think the SL really has over the coiler is weight, you have to ask yourself how much climbing will you be doing and how big are you going to go with the bike.

mtbr member

uummmmm.....say what????

KoNa KiD
    Apr 2007
    go with the coiler, i love mine, but i do freeride with it and very little all mountain, but i can sdtill pedal it around, mine weighs in at 42.7, so its a little heavy but ive got it built up super super beefy.
    Pedalshop
    Transition Bike Co.

dont touch the dirt

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've got my Coiler built up at 39.5 lbs. It climbs great and can pedal all day, but can also take some pretty big hits. I've basically abused the crap out of it for a year doing everything from urban stair drops to pretty much flat concrete landings, to freeride, to long xc rides and have done very little maintenance. The thing just keeps going.

I dig Kona. They're simple, affordable, and they just plain work. They're nothing flashy but they keep on going.

Now with More Wood
    You posted in DH/FR, so you're always gonna get a bit of a bias towards the Coiler here. And people are right, if you just want to spend your riding time on the FR side of All-Mountain (but still not full-on hucking), then the Koiler is probably a great choice. Seems to have many happy users. If, like me, your one bike really has to do it all (even if most of my riding is on the "light DH/FR" side), then the SL is a good choice as well. I have mine built up a bit heavier than stock (Halo Freedom Rims, Minions, chain guide), and it takes abuse well now, but it still rides nicely on trail days (or the work commute which I also do once a week on the SL). Sounds pretty close to the way you described what you are looking for now (if you don't need the full capabilities of the BigHit in the jump/drop department and are willing to trade off for a bit more of a pedal friendly ride, I'd say the SL fits the bill).

If you have the patience for a bit of a download, here's a little home video project that shows how the SL puts up with a bit of FR stuff (don't get excited, its nothing to write home about...):

http://www.icemandrums.com/Enduro_SL_Action_v2.wmv

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've ridden the '08 enduro SL briefly, and my current rig is a Coilair (same geo as the Coiler, but air sprung front and rear). In my opinion the bikes seem to be built for different purposes. If you look at Specialized and Kona's product lines, the two bikes aren't equivalent. As people have said in here, the SL is more geared towards all-mountain riding. It feels much lighter than the Coilair. I sort of equate the Coiler to more of an SX or SX Trail type bike. So yeah, as others have said, if you want to be able to climb and stuff, the SL is the better choice, but for bigger hits and more FR oriented riding, probably go with the Coiler.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm so torn between the two both great deals .I guess I like the feel of the Kona better. It is like 5 lbs heavier, but I like how the weight is balanced more overall while the Enduro leaves me feeling like I'm hanging on with the weight in back. I like the beefier solid feel of the Kona going down. I think I would have fun with the lighter enduro going on further trips and cruising, the Kona just feels fun though! The Enduro has way better components for sure, but it is more expensive also. Hmm think I'm leaning toward the Kona. That Enduro sure is a sexy bike though.

Two grand for a new Enduro is great and the Kona is going for 1200.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The Enduro is now $1200, I guess the store manager got it free for a promo and needs $. Thats less than the coiler...

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by rctetz
    The Enduro is now $1200, I guess the store manager got it free for a promo and needs $. Thats less than the coiler...
    For a NEW 07 Expert SL? That's a steal.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Nah I guess the guy on the phone confused it with another guy that works at the shop trying to sell a bike, he has the Enduro Elite. Still a decent deal there too though.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've settled on the Coiler. I just like the way it feels and the confidence inspiring frame. More comfy geometry position for me and the weight seems a bit more balanced. In comparison to the big hit it still pedals like a dream, a bit of work over my bro's on the hardtails. Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by V.P.
    uummmmm.....say what????
    not that hard to understand... Kona --> bad warrantee, Specialized --> good warrantee

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker662
    I've got my Coiler built up at 39.5 lbs. It climbs great and can pedal all day, but can also take some pretty big hits. I've basically abused the crap out of it for a year doing everything from urban stair drops to pretty much flat concrete landings, to freeride, to long xc rides and have done very little maintenance. The thing just keeps going.

I dig Kona. They're simple, affordable, and they just plain work. They're nothing flashy but they keep on going.

My DH bike is much lighter then that... yikes!

Specialized Enduro SL FTW!

I've worked on literally hundreds of them, and they are a treat. The pivots are bulletproof (NEVER had a bearing issue on any enduro SL... and like I said I've worked on my fair share)

Also, Specialized offers lifetime frame warranty no questions asked.

Even further, they offer, at the current time, free performance upgrades on the AFR rear shock and e150 fork, once again no questions asked.

Coilers don't compare to the SL for what type of riding you expressed. get the SL!

(pm me if you have any questions about the SL... i'll break everything down with ya on why it's superior)
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rctetz
    I've settled on the Coiler. I just like the way it feels and the confidence inspiring frame. More comfy geometry position for me and the weight seems a bit more balanced. In comparison to the big hit it still pedals like a dream, a bit of work over my bro's on the hardtails. Thanks guys.
    I think you'll be happy with your choice. Kona makes really solid bikes that will stand up to abuse day after day.

The Coiler is a bike you can hit a 15ft drop without any problems halfway through a 25mile XC ride. What other bikes can do that?

mtbr member
    Post some pics of the new bike!

Meh.
    not that hard to understand... Kona --> bad warrantee, Specialized --> good warrantee
    Not true. Try spelling "warranty" correctly.

Specialized only considers the front triangle part of the frame. And considering their "lifetime" warranty, they've turned down a number of them at the shop I previously worked at. The ones that were warrantied involved quite a bit of hassle. I believe WCH was refused a warranty on his old Enduro... granted he pushes his bikes hard, it's an example that their warranties are far from "no questions asked."

Kona only offers a 1-year warranty on their DH/FR frames, not uncommon with DH/FR bikes... It's meant to cover manufacturer defects, and those tend to show up well within the first year. Kona has hooked up our customers for frames that were way out of warranty. When they didn't, very generous crash replacements were usually offered. Upgrades (with additional cost) had been offered to our customers when Kona thought that a different frame may suit their riding styles better.

And the local reps... The local Big S rep is a jerk. He's closed-minded, makes fun of people, and generally unpleasant. The Kona guy has always been super chill.

The 39.5 Coiler seems quite heavy... My 2004 Coiler weighed 34-36 with a pretty heavy wheelset. I remember weighing a few stock medium base models, came in at 35.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    my sx trail can do that!!! love the coiler though

mtbr member
    FWIW - 17inch 07 Kona Coiler Deluxe frame weight, with seat collar, on my digital scale is 4350g.

Cannonball!
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    FWIW - 17inch 07 Kona Coiler Deluxe frame weight, with seat collar, on my digital scale is 4350g.
    Just curious, is that with shock?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler-d
    Just curious, is that with shock?
    Yes, with Fox DHX 4.0 with 500lb spring. As shipped to me from WheelWorld.

I would be surprised to get a 9.6lb frame without shock. WTF would it be.

Its got what plants crave
    Coiler will take the hits and pedal to the top.

Members who have read this thread: 0