enduro for freeriding- Mtbr.com
    Action Sports Trader

enduro for freeriding

Do you think a 2005 enduro with a DHX air can be used for extreme freeriding, i.e. 12-15 foot drops, medium to heavy DH and some DJ'ing.

Sam
    eflattenstomach
    The best FREE home fitness workshop!! Get free meal plans, workout plans and more. Click HERE to get ripped.

Light, Strong and Long
    Jan 2005
    In the hands of an experienced rider, yes. The enduros a pretty tank frame, and the DHX Air is pretty stout for an air shock. But like all rides its not indistructable. As long as everything has a smooth tranny, the bike has a tough build, and someone compitent is behind the bars, yea it'll do that.
    Everyones got a little weight weinee in them

Action Sports Trader
    I'm trading in my VP-Free for an enduro, mostly for the weight factor. I just wanted to know if I could abuse them the same. I'm assuming that the only real way I can smash up an enduro is to take it off of a 15 footer to flat.

Sam
    eflattenstomach
    The best FREE home fitness workshop!! Get free meal plans, workout plans and more. Click HERE to get ripped.

mtbr member
    if you are a beginner, then no the enduro will not do well for DH/FR but if you are a more experienced rider the 5-6 inches of travel will work fine for you. as you get more experienced more travel is not always needed

Action Sports Trader
    Yeah, I have about 10 years of riding undre my belt. I have never even come close to using my 8.5" of travel on my VP_Free. I've done 15 footers to semiflat and still didn't bottom it out. Anyone have any opinions about my choice of selling a VP-Free for an enduro.

Sam
    eflattenstomach

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by samanderson4
    Yeah, I have about 10 years of riding undre my belt. I have never even come close to using my 8.5" of travel on my VP_Free. I've done 15 footers to semiflat and still didn't bottom it out. Anyone have any opinions about my choice of selling a VP-Free for an enduro.

Sam

if you have 10 years of experience then you shouldn't be asking that question....personally, repeately hitting 12 to 15 feet drops on a smaller bike is not good
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    just buy an sx traill

Action Sports Trader
    Just asking about the durability of the enduro. I have heard it called a mini DEMO so I wanted to see what the word was on it. I know its marketed as an ALL MOUNTAIN bike, but I wanted to know if you could use it as a hardcore freeride bike. Alot of people on this board have ridden both and I just wanted their opinion

Sam
    eflattenstomach

Glad to Be Alive
    Just asking about the durability of the enduro. I have heard it called a mini DEMO so I wanted to see what the word was on it. I know its marketed as an ALL MOUNTAIN bike, but I wanted to know if you could use it as a hardcore freeride bike. Alot of people on this board have ridden both and I just wanted their opinion

Sam

sorry if I was harsh.....but I just thought you would know after 10 years of riding the Enduro wouldn't hold up do repeated 10 to 15 foot drops......your life isn't worth it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Action Sports Trader
    It's all about hitting a good transition. I'm sure if I'm not flat landing, I'll be OK. If I do flat land I deserve whatever I get ;}

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    sorry if I was harsh.....but I just thought you would know after 10 years of riding the Enduro wouldn't hold up do repeated 10 to 15 foot drops......your life isn't worth it
    eflattenstomach

Magic Man
    if you have 10 years of experience then you shouldn't be asking that question....personally, repeately hitting 12 to 15 feet drops on a smaller bike is not good
    second that
    She said "No, you're wrong." I said "You got a lumpy butt." She got mad at me and yelled at me and I pissed in my pants and I never did change my pee-pants all day. I'm still sittin' in my dirty pee-pants.

Glad to Be Alive
    It's all about hitting a good transition. I'm sure if I'm not flat landing, I'll be OK. If I do flat land I deserve whatever I get ;}

what you call 10 to 15 feet...might be what I call 2 feet....if you are in the air 10 to 15 feet above the ground and not flying 15 feet down, but only 2 feet off the ground the whole time then the bike ain't working

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just get the right tool for the job. Specialized is correct in their labeling it is an "all mountain bike" Sure if you have the skills you could rock a beach cruiser but why ? Weight - there is a reason FR / DH bikes weigh more they are built for abuse. Use whatever you think suits your needs but using a spoon instead of a shovel to dig a hole is off.

mtbr member

The Enduro is not a mini Demo.

Sam
    The SX Trail Enduro models are. Not the model you are inquiring about. The standard Enduro's while tough are on the lesser side of strength when compared to a VP-Free. The SX Trail is more comparable.
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    No, an Enduro will not survive repeated 10-15 foot drops. The chainstays break rather easily, as do the seat stays. The bike is not nearly as strong as a VP-Free. Just put a shorter DHX air on the VP-Free to lighten it up and make it ride a bit more like an Enduro, but keep that big-bike strength. I've seen it done, and the owner is quite happy with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Enduro on a 15 foot drop.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenweed
    lucky dog, only his stays broke. the headtube fell off on mine. talk about a scary situation........

mtbr member

Keep the VP-Free...

...and just lighten 'er up. That or save up for a lighter SC(Heckler,Blur?) to compliment your VP-Free.
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    It's not an enduro it's a SX --> the 4x bike with 4" travel.

mtbr member

Still part of the Enduro line...

Quote Originally Posted by preppie
    It's not an enduro it's a SX --> the 4x bike with 4" travel.
    ...but the SX's are stronger than the standard Enduro. The standard Enduro will die with Sam's riding intentions.
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

mtbr member

that guy is pretty...insane for doing that on the 4in travel sx. that's a 4x bike. the sx trail could probably handle that and many things like it.

as already said, the regular enduro is not going to stand up to the 15footers, but the sx trail would most likely with the right rider.

Glad to Be Alive
    didn't that bike break....I remember seeing the Video

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Holy crap the rear end just died on that

Light, Strong and Long
    Jan 2005
    SMT, not everyone needs 8-10 inches of travel to hit knarley drops. I've been doing 10-14 footers on my 6.7 inch travel gemini for 2 years and the frame is still mint. Its all about how you ride the bike, not what the bike can take.
    Everyones got a little weight weinee in them

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Fooly_CoolyOo
    SMT, not everyone needs 8-10 inches of travel to hit knarley drops. I've been doing 10-14 footers on my 6.7 inch travel gemini for 2 years and the frame is still mint. Its all about how you ride the bike, not what the bike can take.
    ok lets reiterate...............i know some 5 inch stinkies that are doing huge drops and still going strong, but the Enduro won't cut it...period

Members who have read this thread: 0