Elka Stage 5 on Session 88?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Elka Stage 5 on Session 88?

Like the title says, Im very interested to buy one of those and Im wondering how far ahead of my already custom valved DHX the Elka would be for my Session.

Anyone here has done it?

Also , heard they had issue with a terrible clucking sound in the past, they said its been resolved but has anyone here been riding one of the newer generation?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    if you're so satisfied with your DHX why would you change it? You keep telling everybody its the most bomb thing ever. Why would you get something else? What exactly does it not do that you're hoping the elka will accomplish?

I have an elka and love it, but you gotta know what you want it to do that your current shock doesn't.

mtbr member
    The clunk has been fixed, and we have the Session tune in our Demo center if you want to try one.

The ease of adjustment and no hassle of checking the air/gas pressure and boost volume makes the shock so easy to get setup for a certain course if you're a racer so you can get the tuning out of the way quickly and get onto learning the course. Tune the low speed for the corners and pedaling sections, tune the high speed for the hack and hits and be done!

http://www.go-ride.com/CategoryProdu...KS:DEMO+SHOCKS

Krispy
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    if you're so satisfied with your DHX why would you change it? You keep telling everybody its the most bomb thing ever. Why would you get something else? What exactly does it not do that you're hoping the elka will accomplish?

I have an elka and love it, but you gotta know what you want it to do that your current shock doesn't.

...I think you got mistaken with someone else...I love my bike, the shock is great for a DHX but never said the SHOCK was the most bomb thing ever ?!?? Where did you get that?

I decided I would keep my bike for one more year but still like to treat myself with something new.A shock upgrade would sure do that.My main concern with the DHX is that its nearly impossible to adjust one setting without affecting the other badly and well it just doesnt feel that great...I've been rebuilding my shock severals time and was about to send it to Push but now Im tempted to go down the Elka road ;-)

Thanks for the constructive post BTW, you are sure helping making this community a better place to share thought.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    don't get butt hurt, you're taking it the wrong way. You have to know what you want it to do better and what your problem with the DHX was. I've heard you say your custom tuned DHX feels great many times. I've fallen out of love with things I used to love before too, it happens.

Anyway, the elka is definitely alot easier to adjust then a DHX, you spin the dials it changes the settings, nothing wonky and across the board like the DHX. It is also easier to make it more predictable then the DHX. The custom tuned DHX on the trek is merely a damping curve thats tuned to be generally the right range for the session (somewhat like push does, just not as in depth) from what I understand. If you're still adjusting it and having trouble getting it dialed to exactly where you want it, then pull the trig on that elka

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    The clunk has been fixed, and we have the Session tune in our Demo center if you want to try one.

The ease of adjustment and no hassle of checking the air/gas pressure and boost volume makes the shock so easy to get setup for a certain course if you're a racer so you can get the tuning out of the way quickly and get onto learning the course. Tune the low speed for the corners and pedaling sections, tune the high speed for the hack and hits and be done!

http://www.go-ride.com/CategoryProdu...KS:DEMO+SHOCKS

Krispy
    This is a killer deal. If it works you are not out anything as you can apply the $50 toward a purchase. If not, $50 is a small price to pay to find that out.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    don't get butt hurt, you're taking it the wrong way. You have to know what you want it to do better and what your problem with the DHX was. I've heard you say your custom tuned DHX feels great many times. I've fallen out of love with things I used to love before too, it happens.

Anyway, the elka is definitely alot easier to adjust then a DHX, you spin the dials it changes the settings, nothing wonky and across the board like the DHX. It is also easier to make it more predictable then the DHX. The custom tuned DHX on the trek is merely a damping curve thats tuned to be generally the right range for the session (somewhat like push does, just not as in depth) from what I understand. If you're still adjusting it and having trouble getting it dialed to exactly where you want it, then pull the trig on that elka

Its all good , thanks bro. Since you've been on an Elka for a while, have you had any reliability problems with it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I got the first gen, its developed a slight click starting in the travel, very bothersome when its in my garage, don't notice it on the trail. I'm assured it can be fixed under warranty, I'm just not sure what DH bike I'll be riding this year (finding out in march) and I want to get it tuned for that bike, so I'll send it back then.

Overall, one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I'd only expect a marginal improvement. I haven't tried different shocks on my Session, but a local pro has, and said the DHX works well on the Session even though he hasn't liked them on other bikes. I agree the lack of separate high and low speed compression adjustments on the DHX sucks though. I'd get an Elka if I had money to burn, but it's not a priority.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Shocks

I just ordered an Avy for my Session 88! Should be hear in a week!! Craig is great to deal with and will answer all your Q's!!

mtbr member
    Why do you have your heart set on the Elka? Have you considered the CCDB, Vivid, or the DHX RC4? Heck Bos is even an option.

I'm just curious as to why everyone is so horny for Elka shocks and they're willing to throw down the cash for one of those instead of something else.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    I'd only expect a marginal improvement. I haven't tried different shocks on my Session, but a local pro has, and said the DHX works well on the Session even though he hasn't liked them on other bikes. I agree the lack of separate high and low speed compression adjustments on the DHX sucks though. I'd get an Elka if I had money to burn, but it's not a priority.

Wish I could confirm that for sure...So there really isnt anyone here with an Elka shock on his Session then ???
    Last edited by tuumbaq; 02-02-2010 at 08:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    Why do you have your heart set on the Elka? Have you considered the CCDB, Vivid, or the DHX RC4? Heck Bos is even an option.

I'm just curious as to why everyone is so horny for Elka shocks and they're willing to throw down the cash for one of those instead of something else.
    I'd hazard putting in my opinion that the Elka delivers consistently good performance reviews while maintaining an MSRP that was even less than that of the old DHX 5.0 and much less than the RC4.
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarashi
    I'd hazard putting in my opinion that the Elka delivers consistently good performance reviews while maintaining an MSRP that was even less than that of the old DHX 5.0 and much less than the RC4.
    I moved from a CCDB to an elka, and have never been more pleased about a decision concerning my bike, save maybe pedals/shoes.

http://www.rotorburn.com/article/f84..._Stage_5_Shock

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by tuumbaq
    Wish I could confirm that for sure...So there really isnt anyone here with an Elka shock on his Session then ???
    The go-ride deal is pretty sweet, if you feel it's not worth it you're only out $50. I think you should be the guinea pig and give it a try.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness

450$ and . . . this review, amongst many others :

Pretty solid reason IMO ...PLus I dont really want to spend a 1000$ for another shock, the bike is fine as his really...Im just looking to freshen it up a bit and the shock is the only part of the bike that bugs me a little.

@ less than 500$ this seems to be the most efficient way for me to "feel" something different about the bike...

mtbr member
    I moved from a CCDB to an elka, and have never been more pleased about a decision concerning my bike, save maybe pedals/shoes.

That's quite surprising! Would you say it's superior to the CCDB in terms of adjustments or that it's just a better deal? I understand that the CCDB's main advantage - at least compression adjustment wise - is its range. Can the Elka match that?

Are you missing the high/low speed rebound at all?
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    while we are at it, does anybody knows if fox springs will work on an elka?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarashi
    That's quite surprising! Would you say it's superior to the CCDB in terms of adjustments or that it's just a better deal? I understand that the CCDB's main advantage - at least compression adjustment wise - is its range. Can the Elka match that?

Are you missing the high/low speed rebound at all?
    Well, I actually think the CCDB is a pretty stellar shock. But I had one with the older compression tune (they released a new one about a year ago) that was just too heavily damped for my bike. I could never get it to feel good. It was incredibly smooth though, to a greater degree then everything but a bos. I could have sent it back to malcom to have the new tune, but after several calls back and forth of me saying "it doesn't feel good, heres what I want it to do, what do you suggest I do?" and him saying "it has a bigger range then everything else on the market, its just you" and me saying "I know, so give me some advice on how to set it up so that it feels as good as you say it can," I got very frustrated with him telling me that I wasn't feeling what I was feeling. The rebound was always way to slow, it would pack up like hell on the smallest rock garden, which no other shock I've slapped on my bike has a problem with.

Pat at elka has been way more helpful, giving me a good run down, and after setting to his and chris canfields recommendations, the elka feels a million times better then the CCDB ever did. And rather then spending a year trying to get the shock to be lighter damped, having it come out of the box correct was a treat

Quote Originally Posted by pillete
    while we are at it, does anybody knows if fox springs will work on an elka?
    I believe so. I know my CCDB springs work on my elka, and on my roommates DHX5. I believe they all have the same ID/OD.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    They do !

Elka shocks can accept the following springs: Fox, Manitou, Marzocchi, CaneCreek, Diverse, RCS, Nukeproof, Progressive and all others with a minimum inside diameter of 36mm and a maximum outside diameter of 55mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Nothing against the Elka (or any other option), but I keep wondering to myself (following your post at RM as well) why you don't consider having your DHX truely custom tuned. You have made mention several times about the 'special' DHX that comes on the 88, but what Fox is willing to do as on OEM vs what a custom tuner can do are night and day different.

You DHX still has the stock restrictive piston, and the same piston bolt that allows crossover from rebound to compression. At best, it was shimed slightly different for the leverage rate of the 88 (and IIRC, you have played with the shims as well, so you should know that simple shim mods have limitations that are pre-determined by the shock/piston design).

I also have a frame that came with a 'special' DHX tune for that frame and that frame only. Having Push re-work the shock (with an in-depth conversation about what I wanted, issues I had, etc) made a night and day difference in every aspect of the shock..B/O resistance, rebound, chassis control, and abiltity to really open up for fast square hits.

IMO, it would at least worth a call or e-mail to Darren and ask about their testing and current tune for you 88. Maybe they have not developed a tune yet, may be they have something they feel is a real improvement.

It would certainly be the least expensive option, and being a 'special' tune, your DHX has limited resale value if you chose to dump it for something different.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by davep
    Nothing against the Elka (or any other option), but I keep wondering to myself (following your post at RM as well) why you don't consider having your DHX truely custom tuned. You have made mention several times about the 'special' DHX that comes on the 88, but what Fox is willing to do as on OEM vs what a custom tuner can do are night and day different.

You DHX still has the stock restrictive piston, and the same piston bolt that allows crossover from rebound to compression. At best, it was shimed slightly different for the leverage rate of the 88 (and IIRC, you have played with the shims as well, so you should know that simple shim mods have limitations that are pre-determined by the shock/piston design).

I also have a frame that came with a 'special' DHX tune for that frame and that frame only. Having Push re-work the shock (with an in-depth conversation about what I wanted, issues I had, etc) made a night and day difference in every aspect of the shock..B/O resistance, rebound, chassis control, and abiltity to really open up for fast square hits.

IMO, it would at least worth a call or e-mail to Darren and ask about their testing and current tune for you 88. Maybe they have not developed a tune yet, may be they have something they feel is a real improvement.

It would certainly be the least expensive option, and being a 'special' tune, your DHX has limited resale value if you chose to dump it for something different.

I had PUSH tune the DHX on my Uzzi and I agree it improved the shock, but I'd spend the $ on a shock with better damping adjustments. PUSH can only make a turd shine so bright, so I'd guess a PUSH'ed DHX won't be as good as an Elka, Avy or CCDB. After you sell the dhx on ebay, you'd only be paying another $100 over a PUSH'ed DHX anyway.

Members who have read this thread: 0