Elixir is shot?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Elixir is shot?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Elixir is shot?

I just bought some Elixirs about 3/4 months ago, slapped them on the bike with the factory bleed and hose so they have not been tampered with in any way. They worked perfectly until about a week ago my front brake felt like it got bubble in it, I could pull the lever straight to the bars and the pads would not stop at all, no contact to the rotor. I bled them twice, two syringes worth of fluid through the system and it still is doing the same thing. Do I need a master cylinder rebuild? Is this something you reckon I could call Sram about and they would help me out with either a new assembly or the parts to fix it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i have the same.. find out that the problem is only when the pads are consumed.. with new pads no problem!
    :thumbsup:
    ride.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    try the pad thing number man reccomended. 4 weeks is mighty short for pad life but if yer a dragger or live at the bottom of the alps, its possible. if that plan fails, sram/avid cs is very cool and easy to deal with. lemme know if ya need a phone number.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Meh.
    He said 4 months.

But yeah, replace the pads. You might still have a bubble. Are you following the Avid bleed procedure?

looks like 3/4 months to me but 4 months would make more sense. maybe hes drunk again.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Ditto on the pads. When they reach the service limit, I find my levers will bury themselves on the bars too. I got 6 months out of a set of pads.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yes I was following the Avid bleed procedure. It didn't even cross my mind to replace the pads, I will do that on my lunch break today at work and let you know how it goes. Thanks for quick responses! If it is not the pads I am going to call Sram/Avid and see what they say.

mtbr member

Another Elixer problem...

I have had mine for a couple months. Probably <10 all mountain rides. Rear brake worked great until 2 weeks ago. I lent the bike to my brother for some downhill lift accessed riding. He is heavier than me - he's around 200 lbs. When I rode the bike after this trip the rear brake would not stop me on the bike. Lever is still firm, and pads easily contact the rotor, but if feels as if it is greased. I wiped down the rotor in case some grease got on there and the pads look decent. I lightly brushed the pads with fine sandpaper in case grease was on there. No luck. The stopping power still stinks even though the lever is nice and tight. Any suggestions? Maybe the pad was contaminated?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah my guess would be contaminated pads. And just wiping down the rotor may not do the trick. I would replace the pads, and clean the rotor with alcohol I think is the best thing to use.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Another item to look into is that the Brake line is cracked inside the sheathing. I had an issues a few years ago that the inner tube on the brake like cracked and was leaking brak fluid into the outer sheathing and the inner tube. Just another thing to look at.

all true. rubbing alcohol and a very clean soft towel is pretty much all ya should ever use to clean a rotor.

however, if the pads were infected, its likely the rotor is also shot. both parts are made from pourus materials and both will forever retain any nasty liquids or substances not meant to be on them. for example, this means if the pads are now full of windex, simple green, beer, goat jizz or brake fluid, the rotor is too and will only ruin new pads or vice-versa. ya might ask yer brother what happened durrin his use.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I just looked at the brake assembly as I have it in the car, it is not mounted on the bike. The pads appear to have plenty of life left in them, and when I squeeze the lever you can see the pads move towards eachother and then back to their original position, all before I let the lever back out. I am pretty sure something is going on internally, I am going to the LBS to get new brake pads and see if that does anything, if not I will just have an extra set of pads.

doesnt sound good as the system is no longer holdin pressure as ya describe it. could be a bleed issue but ill guess the master cylinder is hosed and is drawin in air. good luck with it.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the number cactus, I called and they told me it would be covered under warranty, and to take it to my LBS and they would take care of the whole process. I am going to drop them off today, hopefully it won't take too terribly long but knowing my shi**y LBS its going to take a few weeks. I slapped on a Hayes 9 I had laying around for the time being. Thanks for the help everyone!

no worries man. helpin out is what its all about. gotta love spares! aside from a front tri, i have almost a complete spare dhr.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah I've got bike bits everywhere. I'm back from my lunch break, took the Elixir to the shop and they said Sram has been known to just replace the whole thing so we will see what happens. I'm just happy to be getting it fixed for free! I'll let you know how the warranty service goes.

please do. sram has become 1 of my fave companies to deal with overall. fast, thorough and with a smile. good folks.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Members who have read this thread: 0