Elixir R vs Code 5- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Elixir R vs Code 5

Hey so I am looking for a new brake for my Transition Dirtbag, which I am building up best comparable to an sx trail you could say. I believe my best options right now are either the elixir r or code 5(feel free to make other suggestions). As I understand it, the elixir has a better bite and modulation but the codes have better stopping power. I am a lighter rider and was thinking that maybe the elixir would be the best option but would like other peoples opinions who have used both. I was possibly even considering maybe using a code up front and elixir in the back don't know how that would feel though, just an idea. Thanks for your help in advance.

mtbr member
    i have 3 rides on my Elixer R's (no DH or shuttle runs...just trail riding).
    Plenty of stopping power, but my modulation on my code's (not 5's) is much better.
    I will say that I still need to break the Elixer's in....

My choice would be dependent on type of riding...trail riding? Elixers.
    Shuttle / DH?...then Code's.

Elixer R has pad adjustment knob which is nice. I believe the Code 5's don't have this feature.

good luck...

moaaar shimz
    Elixir R has just a lever reach adjustment.

I have been a bit dissapointed by Elixir R brakes. I've ridden mine for more than 6 months and they have a LOT of modulation but they lack some power, especially in the last 30-40% of the lever travel.

On rocky terrain or singletrack the power and modulation is spot on, but on speedy descents or very steep trail sections I feel I need to pull the lever VERY hard to archive some significant deceleration.

And yes, they are properly set up and bled using Motul 5.1 DOT fluid and have Avid OEM sintered pads.

mtbr member
    What do you weigh? I'm 160 and with an 8/7" setup I am getting as much power as I ever need. They're fantastic for racing.

moaaar shimz
    I am 140. Maybe it is not so much the power as to the "bite". I feel they have excessive modulation, especially at the end.

mtbr member
    Same as tacubaya - I moved the Elixirs to my xc hardtail, and went for the Code 5's on my AM bike. For lengthy steep sections they have all the power you need, just not so much modulation as the Elixirs.
    I weigh 200 with all my kit on.

Its got what plants crave
    I have not ridden Elixirs enough to really judge them, but I have plenty of time on my Codes and they extremely powerful... I like them a lot.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    There is often a misconception about the "pad contact adjust" feature on Avid's.

It actually does not adjust the position of the pads in the caliper.

It's really a throw/contact adjustment for the brake lever( as was stated above) that is easy to access.

Many brakes, including several Avids, have a similar feature, but the adjustment is just hidden/buried somewhere else that's not in easy access and you have to get out the small allen keys to get to it.

I like both sets of brakes you listed.

The Elixir Rs have a unique feel. It's not an on/off feeling like you get with many of the big bike brakes. There is plenty of stopping power there, it just feels like you need further through the lever pull before you are going to get them to lock up or clamp down completely. Not a bad thing, just different. I like how they feel on low speed tech with multiple drops. Never been a fan of brakes that will lock up a wheel with just a little lever pull in those sections if you start to fumble things.

The Codes are really good too and a solid choice for steeper riding, bigger bikes, DH. Good modulation as well. They do seem to come fully on a bit earlier than the Elixirs.

I've spent much more time on the Codes, but my initial though on the Elixirs was that they are really good with a noticeably different feel.

I'd run a 8" rotor up front and 7" in the rear with either one.

mtbr member
    Codes for DH, elixirs for trails. The elixirs are a good brake but after riding the codes, I wouldnt want the elixirs for dh. When you need to shut it down in a hurry, the codes are the way to go.

Members who have read this thread: 0