El Camino Brakes- Mtbr.com
    Glad to Be Alive

El Camino Brakes

ok ok I have heard they are more XC ......but many of the pros are using them

so who else is using them and how do they compare to the hayes Mags
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Meh.
    Mags are way better.

The MC/resi is too small. The fluid heats up too quickly. They can barely even stop me on a XCish bike. I weigh all of 130 to 140 pounds. I really don't think they can stop you at all.

mtbr member
    I have both sets of brakes. The Mags most definitely have more power than the El Caminos. The Caminos seem to have better modulation, but I attribute that to lack of power. For DH, go with the Mags.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was skeptical about my Mag's before use because they were supposed to have little modulation. I have found that I prefer the Mag's braking over my M4's. Did a parking lot spin on the El camino's and they felt mushy - no air, maybe plently of modulation. Any which way I like my Mag's.

mtbr member
    i run el caminos and love them. never had a single issue in more than a year. never even bled um. theyre pimp

mtbr member
    My friend has them on his ID. Good modulation, but mags have more braking power for DH. I like my mags too. His right lever adjuster seems to always loosen too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prechrysler
    I have both sets of brakes. The Mags most definitely have more power than the El Caminos. The Caminos seem to have better modulation, but I attribute that to lack of power. For DH, go with the Mags.
    I weigh 215 pounds geared up, if that helps. I know you're around the same weight, and you'll be disappointed with the Caminos if you get them for your type of riding.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Prechrysler
    I weigh 215 pounds geared up, if that helps. I know you're around the same weight, and you'll be disappointed with the Caminos if you get them for your type of riding.

thanks that eliminates the El Caminoes

now it is down to XT, the new codes and maybe stick with old faithful - the Mags
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Old No. 7
    Saints man saints, I though you were all about Sainthood... And they are on sale on the home page of this site.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    thanks that eliminates the El Caminoes
    ...what you talkin' bout, man. El Caminos are da bomb. They got them knobs you can turn, a bichin name, and an anti-lock feature that really comes in handy when the hill gets steep....

anybody want to buy a pair for $150......
    "yer all a bunch of god damned *************, damn it."

mtbr member
    I have El Caminos on my XC bike and Mags on the DH bike. Wouldn't run anything else.

Like everyone has mentioned:
    modulation - XC - El Caminos
    power - DH - Mags

PS. Like the pros really ever use them, anyway...

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I've got El Caminos on my Highline with 8" rotors.
    At first the power was terrible and lever throw was constantly changing (ie needs a bleed)
    I bled them.
    I'm used to Hopes which are very easy to get a consistent bleed from, the Hayes are not quite as simple but eventually all the air came out and fresh Motul 5.1 went in.
    On subsequent aggro XC rides and FR that did not involve and real descending the brakes are fine from a power/modulation standpoint.
    Typical of Hayes I've been battling with keeping the lever throw adjustment from spinning down to where the lever meets the bars after every mile or two. I've got the front lever finally staying put with loc-tite on it, the rear moves on its own schedule.
    Play has developed in the lever pivot points that is beyond what adjustable from the factory and it appears that shimming or replacement parts will be required to bring it back into spec.

Nutshell: When setup right, the El Caminos are pretty descent but they're not on the level of the best brakes out there despite having a price tag to suggest such. The quality and functionality of the lever adjustment components continues to be sub-par. Since I've exclusively been riding on Hopes for resort and big descending that I've done this season, I don't have an objective review to provide on their fade resistance. I will say, that I believe that the extreme lack of power and wild lever throw changes that some report are likely the result of bad bleeds, which is easy to do with these brakes.
    Last edited by Err; 09-16-2006 at 05:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i found a review the guy had a v10 the review is a few years back ... http://www.gravitybolivia.com/view?page=84

I like air!
    Quote Originally Posted by fred.r
    Saints man saints, I though you were all about Sainthood... And they are on sale on the home page of this site.
    I would get the Saints. As a matter of a fact thats what Im going to slap on my new ride but probably not till winter. El Caminos are for XC, AM and thats how they are marketed. Think about it, If they thought they were good enough to match the other brands out there for DH, that is how they would have marketed them.

err, 27.5+
    As most have suggested. El Camino's are not all that they were cracked up to be. Mine worked well, on par with my juicy sevens. However, as posted the MC is too small, and they overheat on dh runs. This pumps the lever out and makes braking much more interesting for the remainder of the run. I ran 180mm rotors. Power and lever feel were good, but never exactly right. Despite all of the adjustment I could never get them set up to my preference (I had simillar issue with J7s).

Out of all the brakes I have run I am most pleased with my cheap as shimano deores. They just work. At some point I will upgrade to saint or xt calipers as the pistons are a bit sticky in the deores sometimes and they are heavy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    yeah...my El Camino's feel fine for basic trail riding but they suck for DH runs. Not very much power (even with the power dial turned all the way up). I'm actually going to take them off my trail bike and put Magura Louise brakes on it...they are the best I have ever used...

On my DH rig I am currently running Saints with XT levers...and they feel better than any Hayes brakes I have used. MUCH better modulation and great power!!

Tom

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The El Camino's have 2 problems:

1. Like most Hayes brakes, the plunger screws back out as the lever shakes on dh runs. This makes the pad contact point move in, and the brake feels squishy.

2. The piston backs ALL the way back into it's bore. This is a problem when your pad is half worn since the pad starts all the way retracted it has a longer distance to travel til it hits the rotor. Result....squishy braking. "Self adjusting" piston systems are supposed to adjust for pad wear and NOT retract so far.

These brakes suck.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Church
    yeah...my El Camino's feel fine for basic trail riding but they suck for DH runs. Not very much power (even with the power dial turned all the way up). I'm actually going to take them off my trail bike and put Magura Louise brakes on it...they are the best I have ever used...

On my DH rig I am currently running Saints with XT levers...and they feel better than any Hayes brakes I have used. MUCH better modulation and great power!!

Tom

yeah thanks to alll.....this is a dead issue

it is down to the XT's, Codes or mags

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If its power you want then check out Maguras Gustav. A bit heavier than Saints and Mags, but not that much really, and enough power for the heaviest bike and rider.
    I've had /got Hope 6 pots, m4's, Juicys, Louise FR. Never used Shimano but have used Mags for a short time. Used the Gustavs in the French Alps this summer and they have it all- bucket loads of squeal free power with great feel and strong enough to survive crashing, no matter how long and hard you drag 'em they just will not fade. There are a lot of good brakes out there now, but if you want power then these are top dog- no contest.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

Unshaven Yak

SMT, why no Saint?

I'm wondering why Saint's are off your list. I'm considering switching out my old Mechies on my light duty bike for a set of hydro's and Saint's are close to the top of the list. Why would you pick XT's over a set of those?

I have the old XT 4pots w/8" rotors on my Kona and love those. Those new Codes look pretty damn sweet, but I'm not looking to add more weight than I need to and I'll bet they will cost some serious dige for the 1st year.
    If you can, get one. You can bild it up to be a kinda lite trail slaying,dirt surfin, 40 mile ride single track super mama. this bike is the cutting edge of the sport. "spred the groove".

Professional Troll
    I've talked to a certain world class pro about the caminos who gets paid to run them, and he complained about them for non-xc riding, if that tells you anything

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    I would go with gustav M

Who put that rut there?
    Aug 2004

Kinda hard to believe this...

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    I've talked to a certain world class pro about the caminos who gets paid to run them, and he complained about them for non-xc riding, if that tells you anything
    Your world class racer friend is paid to run these brakes and complains about them to people? If he is paid to ride them, then his should work extremely well if he is getting them mech'd by his pit crew. Not a very good promotional tool for the sponsor if you ask me. El Caminos work fine on DH runs and do not experience a ton of brake fade. If you want a brake to just shut you down while riding then get something super powerful. If you want to be able to use brakes to slow you down and not skid steer then get something with modulation. Use your own judgement Bob and try out some brakes before you buy them.
    Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you are both retards.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    no love for Juicy?

Rider of the Faith
    The El Caminos came stock on my Faith. They lasted 1 downhill run before they got all squishy. Even at full modulation they suck. I am going to throw em on my AM bike and look into Hayes Mag Md or Maguras Gustavs.
    Anyone got any say about which is better between these two?

Meh.
    Gustavs will always have a little bit of drag, but they're really nice. The Mags should have no issues (other than the reach adjuster backing off). The Magura Louise FR is a nice option. Avid Code, Hope Moto FR, Shimano XT. They're all good brakes.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    no love for Juicy?
    either those or hopes for the win.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by elohttub
    Your world class racer friend is paid to run these brakes and complains about them to people? If he is paid to ride them, then his should work extremely well if he is getting them mech'd by his pit crew. Not a very good promotional tool for the sponsor if you ask me.
    I supposed complained was a poor word. When we asked him about the aformentioned issue with the brakes he agreed and said they weren't the best for DH-ing. That they were more trailbike/xc suited, despite having them on his big-bike.

Equal opportunity meanie
    SMT, for your weight and riding the steep stuff of "west texas":

1) Stay WAY far away from the EC's.
    2) Mags are marginally better.
    3) New XT's are significantly weaker than the old ones and I would highly recommend against them for steep DH.
    4) Codes are nice and powerful, but new and a first year product - proceed with caution.
    5) My Avid Juicies are the best feeling brakes I've used IMO even in a DH application. On the runs you are doing, I (weighing 170) find myself wishing for more power though.
    6) On a similar note I would stay away from Magura, Hope, Formula, etc. - expensive and a hassle to get fixed.
    7) XT levers with Saint calipers are reliable and POWERFUL. A lot of riders I know actually have to put in the weaker pads to make them reasonable. I would give these a serious look for your application.\

When the hell are you getting back by the way?

mtbr member
    I have a pair of El Caminos on the SX Trail I just bought. So far, so good, one finger braking and no fade that I've noticed. I haven't taken them on a DH run yet, so the jury is still out, but so far, I'm impressed.

The only other brakes I've used are the old Hayes purple DH and HFX-9's, so take that into account.

Cheers

KavuRider
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

Rider of the Faith
    Well Shiver...did you decide yet?
    My decision is down to either Hayes Mags or Shimano Saints.
    From what I hear Saints have more power but Mags hold up better to abuse.
    My LBS is trying to push the Juicy 5's for some damn reason....
    Leaves me all the more confused.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi
    Well Shiver...did you decide yet?
    My decision is down to either Hayes Mags or Shimano Saints.
    From what I hear Saints have more power but Mags hold up better to abuse.
    My LBS is trying to push the Juicy 5's for some damn reason....
    Leaves me all the more confused.
    I am leaning towards the saints because they bolt right on the 888 w/out an adapter......I have had the Hayes Mags......they are awesome for me ....easy to bleed, take apart whatever needs to be done......either one you can't lose

Members who have read this thread: 0