Easton Flatboys: parts? bushing replacement? (x-post from drivetrain)- Mtbr.com
    MW
    mtbr member

Easton Flatboys: parts? bushing replacement? (x-post from drivetrain)

Hi folks. Floated this over in drivetrain but didn't get any responses, so I thought I'd try here.

Anyone ever rehab a set of Easton Flatboys? I just picked up a (very well) used pair for cheap, but they need some love. They came apart easily enough, the pins are M4x8mm, and the non-crank-side bearings are NSK 686Z (6x13x5). So far, so good.

But I need new rubber seals and I'd also like to replace the crank-side bushings while I'm at it. Couple of questions here: does Easton sell these seals and/or bushings? or does anyone have the correct bushing dimensions? Also, if I can get my hands on the correct bushings, how do I remove the old ones (since there doesn't appear to be an exposed "lip" that would let me drive them out from the other side)?

I'm not out much if I can't rebuild them as I'd hoped, but I figured I'd ask. Thanks for any help,

--Matt

moaaar shimz
    I guess you can take them out with an EZ Out, measure them and buy them from McMasterCarr

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had the Easton Cully pedals and I bought
    parts for them but i'm not sure where??

I may have extra needle bearings in my box of crap
    but I don't remember if I replaced the smaller bearing on the
    outside of the pedal??

I assume the flatboys use the needle bearings too??(on the pedal side closest to the cranks??)
    then the smaller regular bearing on the outside??

As for the oring I recall just taking one out of my o-ring set kit thingy..that was similar...

If I have the extra bearings I can give you the part number off of them??
    or you can have them(if you are from USA)
    also do the Flatboys use the really small pins??(diameter wise)
    if so i have a bag of pins you can have too....

MW
    mtbr member
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

As far as I can tell, it's a bushing on the crank-side, not a needle bearing. Which is fine, if I could figure out how to remove it (re. previous response: not sure how an ez-out would work here?).

The seal is this sort of flanged piece:

Did your Cully's have something similar that you were able to replace with o-rings?

Outboard bearings are NSK 686Z and pins are plain M4 set screws: both easily had through McMaster-Carr or similar. It's mostly the bushings (and to a lesser extent the seals) that have me flustered.

--Matt

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

As far as I can tell, it's a bushing on the crank-side, not a needle bearing. Which is fine, if I could figure out how to remove it (re. previous response: not sure how an ez-out would work here?).

The seal is this sort of flanged piece:

Did your Cully's have something similar that you were able to replace with o-rings?

Outboard bearings are NSK 686Z and pins are plain M4 set screws: both easily had through McMaster-Carr or similar. It's mostly the bushings (and to a lesser extent the seals) that have me flustered.

--Matt
    A large ez out (bolt extractor) will grip the inside of the bushing. Then you pull it out.

Imagine this, the bolt being the bushing.

MW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    A large ez out (bolt extractor) will grip the inside of the bushing. Then you pull it out.
    Interesting. I thought ez-outs were only for threaded applications; I didn't realize they were an option for press-fit. So essentially I'd have to "set" the extractor into the bushing, then clamp the extractor in a vice, then drive the pedal body off the bushing/extractor?

Possible hiccup here is that the bushing sits a ways inside the pedal body, and I worry that the taper of the ez-out would contact the pedal body before the inside of the bushing? No way to know without trying, I suppose.

--Matt

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    Interesting. I thought ez-outs were only for threaded applications; I didn't realize they were an option for press-fit. So essentially I'd have to "set" the extractor into the bushing, then clamp the extractor in a vice, then drive the pedal body off the bushing/extractor?

Possible hiccup here is that the bushing sits a ways inside the pedal body, and I worry that the taper of the ez-out would contact the pedal body before the inside of the bushing? No way to know without trying, I suppose.

--Matt
    Yeah. I don't know how deep is the bushing, but there should be some way to access it allowing the ez-out to grip it.

This is how Fox removes some stuck shock hardware, same principle:

MW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    This is how Fox removes some stuck shock hardware, same principle:[/IMG]
    I get it now, though the analogy would be pulling DU bushing from a shock and not the reducers as shown, and I'm doubtful I could pull them by hand. Regardless, this might well be the way.

--Matt