e.13 LG1 on a stinky primo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

e.13 LG1 on a stinky primo

anyone done this successfully?

I am trying to install an LG1 onto my stinky primo and running into some issues. The ICSG guide that bolts behind the bb cup can't get spaced out enough for the top guide to run clean on the chainring. If I space it out enough for the guide to work, the crank rubs on the guide mount. If I get the guide mount not to rub, the chainguide keeps kicking the chain off. Anyone installed one of these?

StraightOuttaCompton
    i haven't done it, but it would be sick if you did. LG-1 is sick and that on a Primo is even tastier.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Pivotal figure
    Friend tried it, had the same issues. He ended up getting an MRP instead..You can try spacing out just the plastic guide part instead of the plate. How much spacing does it need? Is the lower guide OK or is it rubbing as well?
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Meh.
    If it's a dual ring crank, you may need to file down the granny tabs a little bit. Or maybe try the e13 Guide Ring - it's designed with a step specifically for use with chainguides. It's light too.

But yeah, you can always just space out the plastic portion.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    If it's a dual ring crank, you may need to file down the granny tabs a little bit. Or maybe try the e13 Guide Ring - it's designed with a step specifically for use with chainguides. It's light too.

But yeah, you can always just space out the plastic portion.
    A few things in response to your suggestions.

1. Yes, if you do run a 2 Ring Crankset you will have to grind down the granny ring tabs. The same thing was happening when I installed a LG1 and my Holzfeller 2:2.

The LG1 requires a lot of spacing fine tuning, things you can try:

1. Use Gold, Black, And Silver Washers to space out the BACKPLATE of the entire assembly with your ISCG adapter sandwiched in the BB Cups.
    2. If you need extra spacing adjustment you can actually flip the ISCG adapter, depending on which way you have it installed right now, it will either space it towards the frame or outwards.
    3. You can bend the boomerang: Not sure if you need to, but the boomerang is designed to be bent horizontally. Use a soft mallet to make subtle tweaks.

In response to Will, e13 clearly says NOT to space out the plastic Idler and Boomerang of the Chainguide.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    yea, I have tried all that and I don't really want to take a grinder to my diabolous cranks. The granny tabs are the ones that are rubbing. This is real real lame.

I have tried flipping the adapter and it still is nowhere even close. I haven't even tried the bottom piece at this point. The top is so far from reaching it isn't even funny. I can't even tighten my cranks down without them rubbing at this point.

The only way I see it working is to space out the plastic idler but it specifically says not to.

mtbr member
    well, I have tried moving the idler plates out with spacers and still no bueno. I could understand if this was just little tweaks to get it to stop rubbing, but at this point with just the top plate on it won't even turn it is so bad. This thing blows goats for the kona.

Pivotal figure
    Is the spindle length right? Maybe a longer one, although then you run into chainline issues...

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Hero
    This thing blows goats for the kona.
    It's not Kona, its your granny ring tabs, you HAVE to grind them down if you want your LG1 to work at all.

The LG1 is designed for a single ring crank set. If you don't want to grind down the tabs then you might as well return it.

Pivotal figure
    I run my LG-1 with RaceFace Evolve DH cranks with no problems. I just take off the granny ring and move the spacers.After I'm done with DH I set it back up for dual ring, no grinding needed. Not sure why the Kona won't cooperate..or maybe it's just the Diabolus cranks?

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    A few things in response to your suggestions.

1. Yes, if you do run a 2 Ring Crankset you will have to grind down the granny ring tabs. The same thing was happening when I installed a LG1 and my Holzfeller 2:2.

The LG1 requires a lot of spacing fine tuning, things you can try:

1. Use Gold, Black, And Silver Washers to space out the BACKPLATE of the entire assembly with your ISCG adapter sandwiched in the BB Cups.
    2. If you need extra spacing adjustment you can actually flip the ISCG adapter, depending on which way you have it installed right now, it will either space it towards the frame or outwards.
    3. You can bend the boomerang: Not sure if you need to, but the boomerang is designed to be bent horizontally. Use a soft mallet to make subtle tweaks.

In response to Will, e13 clearly says NOT to space out the plastic Idler and Boomerang of the Chainguide.
    They say not to, doesn't mean you can't. I have done it before on one of my rides and it worked fine. It's not like it's a load bearing part or anything...

I think we have had this convo about grinding before... it's not a guarantee whether or not you have to. I have not had to on my Saints, Holzfellers, Big Earls... and whatever else I've had. I did have to grind once for a buddy. I don't know. I may not have had to because of the chainring I used. I always used the e13 Guide-Ring - it's got that little step in it, it might be just enough to prevent rubbing, I don't know.

Flipping the adapter is just going to allow him to go further inboard or outboard, that doesn't sound like the problem.

Bike Ninja |||
    Dude....

The Diabolous cranks have bolt on inner granny tabs.. just un-bolt them and remove the spacer. it's like a modular part you can take off. seriously that is all you need. i've installed a few lg-1s on stinkys, stabs and the like. it works, and is actually pretty straightforward to set up.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    Dude....

The Diabolous cranks have bolt on inner granny tabs.. just un-bolt them and remove the spacer. it's like a modular part you can take off. seriously that is all you need. i've installed a few lg-1s on stinkys, stabs and the like. it works, and is actually pretty straightforward to set up.
    That totally slipped my mind... You're absolutely right.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    They say not to, doesn't mean you can't. I have done it before on one of my rides and it worked fine. It's not like it's a load bearing part or anything...

Flipping the adapter is just going to allow him to go further inboard or outboard, that doesn't sound like the problem.
    I never really liked the idea of spacing out the plastic pieces. You want the back-plate somewhat close to the chain ring as that adds a little extra protection if you run into trouble and the chain gets stuck between the crank and the back plate. (Not sure how that would happen...)

I threw the adapter flipping in there as just something you can do to fine tune it. I basically threw anything possible in there just as a safeguard. In this case, no, it was not required.

mtbr member
    no, the diabolous cranks have an inner spacer for the granny. The mount is still forged into the crank. You can remove the spacer but the spacer bolts into the crank. The ring tabs are what rubs.

I have decided that there is no way this is going to work and have gone back to dual ring. I have actually never even dropped the chain on this bike and so the chain guide was just to cut some weight.

I have tried the following all to no help.
    - flipping the ICSG plate
    - mounting the chainring on the inner set of tabs and outer to try and gain alignment
    - spacing the mount
    - spacing the guide
    - trying every combination known to man of the above mentioned.

I must have had the crank of like 20 times.

I never meant it was a Kona problem, but rather a fit problem with a diabolous crankset and a stinky bb area.

Seriously, the only time it comes close it still rubs like a fiend. The combination of all three of these things just won't work.

Members who have read this thread: 0