e.13 instalation on a 2005 Yeti ASX- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

e.13 instalation on a 2005 Yeti ASX

I have a 2005 Yeit ASX w/ stock parts. I recently got an e.13 srs chainguide and bashring. The shop that is installing it said that i need a new bottom bracket because they can't get the stock bottom bracket tighted down enough to stay around the e.13 adapter (which is squeezed between the botttom bracket and frame. I was wondering if guys had any knowledge about this. Do i really need a new bottome bracket (sounds kinda unreasonable / bull sh!t) or is there some other way around this? Cause i know that I have seen Yeti ASX's w/ e.13's. Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    BAMFT Riders

pin it to win it
    Nov 2005

... and if we just ...

ya you need to get a new bb. had to do the same thing on my marin team dh. put on the same bash guard as you. you just have to get a bb with a linger spindle on it and it should work. i think jenson has giga pipe dh bb's for like 15$ right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    wow that sux,, the iscg plate is only a few mm thick. i had no probs mounting up to both my IH and SC frames with stock size BB's. id shoot off an email to e13 before coughing up dough unless someone else confirms

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

e13 on ASX

I put an e13 SRS on my 04' ASX and it required a longer bb. I put a Race Face Evolve BB on mine and have had it for a year and no problems. Good luck. it sucks they don't tell us this before we buy the chain guide.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by justpayme12
    I have a 2005 Yeit ASX w/ stock parts. I recently got an e.13 srs chainguide and bashring. The shop that is installing it said that i need a new bottom bracket because they can't get the stock bottom bracket tighted down enough to stay around the e.13 adapter (which is squeezed between the botttom bracket and frame. I was wondering if guys had any knowledge about this. Do i really need a new bottome bracket (sounds kinda unreasonable / bull sh!t) or is there some other way around this? Cause i know that I have seen Yeti ASX's w/ e.13's. Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    You need a e-type bottom bracket with a slightly longer spindle. If your current bottom bracket is using a 2.5mm spacer between the frame and the flange on the driveside, then you can just replace the 2.5mm spacer with the chainguide. However, if you don't have that spacer, it means that there is less spindle for the cranks to interface with. And this can cause problems.

Still on Training Wheels!
    I'm running a 113mm Race Face BB on an 04 AS-X with a E13 DRS with no issues. I'm just running the manditory plate with no spacers and my chain line is good.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    You need a e-type bottom bracket with a slightly longer spindle. If your current bottom bracket is using a 2.5mm spacer between the frame and the flange on the driveside, then you can just replace the 2.5mm spacer with the chainguide. However, if you don't have that spacer, it means that there is less spindle for the cranks to interface with. And this can cause problems.
    How about outboard bearing type BB, like Shimano Saint? -- I'm about to put together a Yeti AS-X with the said crankset and e13 STS...

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomasz
    How about outboard bearing type BB, like Shimano Saint? -- I'm about to put together a Yeti AS-X with the said crankset and e13 STS...
    It's real hard to line up chainguides with some of those outboard bearing bottom brackets.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey guys,
    You should not have ANY issue mounting our chain retention system with an external bearing BB. Both the dual and single ring systems work just fine with all these BB types.
    As far as the ASX and spindle length......the spindle length should have nothing to do with getting the ISCG adapter plate on there tightly. I'm not sure what the shop is trying to tell you about the setup issues they are having, but this is not possible. The ISCG adapter plate is just over 2mm thick, so it replaces any type of 2.5mm BB spacer or "e-type" flange gap on the drive side. For the BB not to tighten enough would mean that you've run out of threads on either the BB shell or BB cup - not very likely.
    All of our guides will fit fine on that ASX frame. Even with a 73 BB shell (if that's what it is, though I can't remember) you should be able to get away with a 113 ISIS spindle. A 113 ISIS spindle is a 50mm chainline, which is the same as a Saint crankset.
    [email protected]
    Please use email

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonas
    Hey guys,
    You should not have ANY issue mounting our chain retention system with an external bearing BB. Both the dual and single ring systems work just fine with all these BB types.
    As far as the ASX and spindle length......the spindle length should have nothing to do with getting the ISCG adapter plate on there tightly. I'm not sure what the shop is trying to tell you about the setup issues they are having, but this is not possible. The ISCG adapter plate is just over 2mm thick, so it replaces any type of 2.5mm BB spacer or "e-type" flange gap on the drive side. For the BB not to tighten enough would mean that you've run out of threads on either the BB shell or BB cup - not very likely.
    All of our guides will fit fine on that ASX frame. Even with a 73 BB shell (if that's what it is, though I can't remember) you should be able to get away with a 113 ISIS spindle. A 113 ISIS spindle is a 50mm chainline, which is the same as a Saint crankset.
    He's using E-Type not ISCG. With E-Type, spindle length does affect setup to an extent. If the flange is pushed out further, then that means there is less interface between the spindle and crank.

I just know that some people have had issues lining up their E-types with outboard bearing bottom brackets, no personal experience with that.

But hey, you probably know better than me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    jonas is talking about the ISCG adapter plate. There's no way to mount the guide without using that adapter plate...whether you mount it through the iscg holes or squeeze it between the bb and bb cup.

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    He's using E-Type not ISCG. With E-Type, spindle length does affect setup to an extent. If the flange is pushed out further, then that means there is less interface between the spindle and crank.

I just know that some people have had issues lining up their E-types with outboard bearing bottom brackets, no personal experience with that.

But hey, you probably know better than me.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, thanks for your help. I just got back from the bike shop, and they said that they talked to e.13 and they helped them through it. Thanks to all. also, e.13 rocks for helping to get this fixed, cause i'm sure that there are a lot of companies out there that really dont' give a damn.
    BAMFT Riders

Members who have read this thread: 0