E-13 Chainguide Trouble...- Mtbr.com
    Certified Moots Whore...

New question here. E-13 Chainguide Trouble...

I have an E-13 SRS chainguide on a Santa Cruz Chameleon. There are no ISCG tabs so I am using the bottom bracket piece that allows attachment to the frame. I have noticed that the guide actually moves over time. Is this supposed to happen? Are there any solutions to keep this from happening? The guide has never hit my frame because I check it after every couple of rides, but I am scared that one day it will smack the chainstays and dent it or crack a weld. I notice that I occasionally hit the bottom of the guide when I am picking up my bike to put it on something. I am sure this has something to do with it. Is the non ISCG adapter the culprit or should I just accept the fact that these things do move a bit. The chainguide is by no means low. I keep it about half an inch from the chainstay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i have the same guide, and it doesnt move unless i hit it on something. however you can drill out holes in the tab that hangs out over the bb shell, and tap threads into them so that you can run a bolt perpendicular to shell into shell to keep it from moving. if you dont have the tools or know how to tap them then just use a nut on each side of the bolt.
    they call you a gansta if you spend big bucks on a pair of 20" chromes. well shlt.... i got a pair of 26's!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    there is nothing u can do, buy a new frame thats about it. I don't know what the F*ck the guy avobe is talking about, i have this guide on a frame without iscg mounts and thats part of the reason i am getting a new frame.

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Clever...
    I have an E-13 SRS chainguide on a Santa Cruz Chameleon. There are no ISCG tabs so I am using the bottom bracket piece that allows attachment to the frame. I have noticed that the guide actually moves over time. Is this supposed to happen? Are there any solutions to keep this from happening? The guide has never hit my frame because I check it after every couple of rides, but I am scared that one day it will smack the chainstays and dent it or crack a weld. I notice that I occasionally hit the bottom of the guide when I am picking up my bike to put it on something. I am sure this has something to do with it. Is the non ISCG adapter the culprit or should I just accept the fact that these things do move a bit. The chainguide is by no means low. I keep it about half an inch from the chainstay.
    OK, A couple things for you. First off, without the ISCG05 moutnig tabs on your frame, the chance of your guide (ANY guide) rotating under impact is pretty good. The ISCG-OLD standard is a step up from nothing at all, but it still isn't capable of really taking the big impacts. Of course, not many chainguides themselves are capable of taking the big impacts, but thats a different story. You can read about ISCG05 at www.iscg05.com

SO here is what you can do:

1) Take your guide off, and BB out of the frame.

2) Make sure your BB shell is faced. If you arent sure what that means, or dont have to tools to check that, bring your frame to a local shop and ask them to do it for you. Its a simple process. Most frames should come faced from the factory, but sometimes they dont. This process will make the outside face of your BB perpendicular to the axis of your BB. This will increase the surface contact area between your ISCG adapter plate and frame, and help to increase friction between the two. A lot of people skip this step, but it can help.

3) Clean ALL grease off of the ISCG adapter plate and off of the flange on your BB. Use some kind of solvent that can get it off.

4) Reinstall your cranks and BB. When you install your bb, only grease the threads on the inside of your BB. This will prevent grease from getting in between the ISCG adapter and frame.

5) Torque yoru BB down to the high side of your BB maker's instructions.

These step by step instructions will work for ANY BRAND chainguide. This chainguide rotation was something that everyone dealt with 6 years ago. ISCG was a big improvement on this, and ISCG05 has basically eliminated this issue forever.

I would not spend a lot of time worrying about destroying your frame. Its possible to damage it but you will need to have some repeated HUGE impacts to make that happen. I am talking about disasters over and over and over. Seeing as you say you havent hit the guide on the frame at all, you have nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps.

If you ever have any questions, feel free to e-mail Jonas at [email protected], or call the office at 207 772 3132. We are all about helping customers like you out!

Dave
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

mtbr member
    I had a same prblem on my kona stuff. landing hard a few times would knock it out of place. then it would change the sound of it. anyway, i took it to my lbs and (since i got good guys that work there) the knew what to do. the only problem was that the backplate wasn't tightened correctly by the three screws. they took the bashguard off, tighten the three screws off backplate and i was good to go.

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    I had a same prblem on my kona stuff. landing hard a few times would knock it out of place. then it would change the sound of it. anyway, i took it to my lbs and (since i got good guys that work there) the knew what to do. the only problem was that the backplate wasn't tightened correctly by the three screws. they took the bashguard off, tighten the three screws off backplate and i was good to go.
    Sounds like your bike had the ISCG mounts. His situation is a little different. He is mounting his guide in the same way that the old mrps and the like mounted before there was a chainguide bolting standard. He is sandwiching his chainguide between the bottom bracket flange and the BB shell.

It is still possible to rotate a guide on the ISCG (like you found out), but almost impossible with the ISCG05. Most new bikes for 07 will use the ISCG 05 standard so we are all in luck.

Dave
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

Members who have read this thread: 0