Dying Boxxer 2007?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Dying Boxxer 2007?

I bought the bike 3rd hand (I was the 3rd) from a guy about a year ago (didn't know anything about bikes back then) and doesn't seem like the 2nd guy ever serviced the fork.

Anyway, I later on noticed that the front of the left stanchion had the gold anodize become silver (up to about 1cm above the seal) and after some forum discussions I was told that the fork is dead so I decided not to bother and service it.

Today it has that paint/anodize scuff about 5cm above the seal and black oil is coming out (not pouring) on the stanchion whenever it is being compressed.

I have to mention that it performs and feels great.

The question is, due to lack of $$ for a new fork, is there a way to extend it's life somehow? Is it worth servicing it and replacing seals? will it even help replacing the seals?

Roy

mtbr member
    The problem/wear is likely due to lack of service.
    Sounds like a combo of low bath oil and bushing wear.

Stanchion wear isn't necessarily the immediate death of a fork, they'll often ride fine and perform OK for longer than you'd expect if you change the bath oil and replace the oil/dust seals.

At the least you should do a bath oil and seal change. It's cheap, easy and doesn't take much time.

You can purchase replacement stanchions individually, but if the leg bushings are worn, you'll need to replace those too.
    You'll spend some cash to go that route.

Best thing is do the basic seal and bath oil change and just ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 11053 View Post
    The problem/wear is likely due to lack of service.
    Sounds like a combo of low bath oil and bushing wear.

Stanchion wear isn't necessarily the immediate death of a fork, they'll often ride fine and perform OK for longer than you'd expect if you change the bath oil and replace the oil/dust seals.

At the least you should do a bath oil and seal change. It's cheap, easy and doesn't take much time.

You can purchase replacement stanchions individually, but if the leg bushings are worn, you'll need to replace those too.
    You'll spend some cash to go that route.

Best thing is do the basic seal and bath oil change and just ride.
    Thanks, I hope I could squeeze as much life as possible from that fork...
    Do you know where can I read about doing this bath oil and seal change myself?
    Everywhere that I looked they had like 2 or 3 types of oils each one going to a different side of the fork etc etc...
    Is there a sane way to do this for a fork in that condition that doesn't require top notch fluids?

Roy

mtbr member
    There's several videos on Youtube that show you how to do basic service on your fork. Boxxers are straightforward... the only difference is if you have a air or coil spring. I think RS recommends two different oil weights (one to lubricate the stanchions, the other for fork damping). I use motorcycle fork oil for both weights (because they're cheaper and easier to buy... but listen at your own risk... some people are reluctant to do this because certain oils have seal conditioners which may adversely affect your fork). I've done service on World Cups and Race forks with no issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I think I'm going to go that route since I don't really think my fork is worth paying the extra cash for brand fluids while the stanchion and bushing are worn out.
    This is a keeping it alive procedure rather than a normal service that is done on time to a healthy fork.
    Thanks alot

Roy

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Can you please help me with purchasing the seals?
    I found the right ones on eBay but there is an option to buy seals only, seals with foam, seals with foam and oil seal or seals with fat foam
    Rock Shox 32mm Dust or Oil Seal Kits Pike Revelation Boxxer Tora | eBay

* Checking out oils...What is the difference between regular and semi synthetic?