Durable Platform Pedal- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Durable Platform Pedal

I have been using a pair of Azonic platforms for my occasional downhill riding this summer. They are nice and light but super brittle. The studs are breaking their threaded holes to pieces, so I cannot replace the studs. I have also found that I would like a pedal that can have the studs accessed from the bottom because there is no way that I will get an allen wrench into the tops of them after they have been jammed with dirt and crush on rocks.

Weight is not an issue. Durability is. Avoiding rocks is not an option because I'm just not good enough.

Thanks

Peter

mtbr member

durable platform pedals

My friends find the Cannondale grind pedals to be very durable.

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    This question gets asked so many times, and my answer has always been the same:

Super. Durable.

StraightOuttaCompton
    those pedals look pretty sick. whats the price and o they come in other colors??
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Meh.
    I've always been able to pull out the pins with a pair of vice grips. Or cut a small slot into the top of the pins with a dremel and use a flathead.

If you're stripping out the holes, you can try to loctite the pin in. Or retap it. Or use a bigger pin.

The ones threaded in from the bottom tend to be heavier, and there's more potential to damage the threads.

There are some pins that have flats on them so you can use a boxwrench to remove it.

The Syncros Mental SS pedals are quite durable... and heavy.

check your six
    Wow,.. Speedplays? Never heard of them. I will definately have to check those out. They look sick! And if the performace stands up to your backing, well then, sounds like a deal to me!
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Pivotal figure
    I'm running Premium Slim's which are a low profile design. So far they're handling the abuse just fine (I ride rocky trails 99% of the time)...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peterk123
    I have been using a pair of Azonic platforms for my occasional downhill riding this summer. They are nice and light but super brittle. The studs are breaking their threaded holes to pieces, so I cannot replace the studs. I have also found that I would like a pedal that can have the studs accessed from the bottom because there is no way that I will get an allen wrench into the tops of them after they have been jammed with dirt and crush on rocks.

Weight is not an issue. Durability is. Avoiding rocks is not an option because I'm just not good enough.

Thanks

Peter
    I just got these pedals...a little pricey and have not put any time on them, but I have a friend who used these in the Tahoe area (lots of rocks and roots) with no problems, and he weighs over 230. The pins are stainless steel and spindle is titanium and there is no problem getting to the pins to replace. Twenty 6 products
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "life is a little slower when your over 100 MPH" JAD

mtbr member

syncros mental stainless steel pedals

Steel is real nothing is as tough as these.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ls.php?id=3888

Glad to Be Alive
    if you ride rocks then pretty much every pedal is going to have problems. I have the Ti-magnessium A-Frames (no longer available)

I have many pins missing and knocked out and it still grips too much sometimes

just by another A-Frame set and don't worry about it.....those pedals are cheap and solid
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I use the drilliums and just by looking at them you can tell they work great. They were a lot I think i paid 110 but they don't slip. I like the really wide contact area. I've clipped them on trees and one time the pedal slammed a tree and sent me over with the bike against the tree. I like clipless better though.

Pivotal figure
    Those FOE's are damn nice but jeez, who pays that much for platform pedals??
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter
    Steel is real nothing is as tough as these.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ls.php?id=3888
    +1 on the Syncros.

After mauling my A-frames I picked up a set of these. I purposefully got the molded pin version so I wouldn't have to worry about replacing pins.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have the Syncros Mental Magnisium which are 427 grams. You might consider the Syncros Mental Metal Alloy 503grams a pair. Both of these Pedals come with different length pins. Mine have held up great for 2 years. I think there is a lifetime warranty on these pedals but I am not sure really what is covered. These pedals are a great size with lots of coverage and are contoured for the foot. If you get these pedals absolutely wear Shin and Knee guards or you will have some bad scars.
    Good Luck,
    Mctige

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I bought a pair of DMR V-12's. I've beaten the crap out of them on rocks from riding and I haven't lost a single screw yet. They keep your feet locked into the pedals almost as well as clipless, I think. Syncros makes some really really great pedals, but I personally won't spend that much on some pedals so I went with the DMRs and am very happy with the decision.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MCtigre
    I have the Syncros Mental Magnisium which are 427 grams. You might consider the Syncros Mental Metal Alloy 503grams a pair. Both of these Pedals come with different length pins. Mine have held up great for 2 years. I think there is a lifetime warranty on these pedals but I am not sure really what is covered. These pedals are a great size with lots of coverage and are contoured for the foot. If you get these pedals absolutely wear Shin and Knee guards or you will have some bad scars.
    Good Luck,
    Mctige
    theres a lifetime warranty on the stainless steel and chromo versions.

I've had the mental mags for the past year and I have been utterly astounded by them for the past several months in how durable they are. I keep expecting them to explode because I'm hitting them on rocks so hard (landing on a pedal and coming to a full stop in what would have been a hard bottom out in my suspension on a rock, or grinding them across the tops of rocks at speed) and I haven't even ripped a pin out. Not to mention they weigh nothing and grip better then everything else.

+1 for the syncros

FReak
    I'm running the specialized magnesium platforms. So far they have been good to me even on the rocky trails up here in Flagstaff. They were $80
    2010 Specialized Demo 8 II (Upgraded to II from I)
    2008 Specialized Enduro SL Expert

mtbr member
    another vote for the syncros mental mags. i've had mine for about a year and have absolutely thrashed them at my local dh resort for the past 6 months or so. other than some scratches and a missing pin or two, the pedal body is totally intact and straight and the axle is true and spinning as freely as day 1.

Members who have read this thread: 0