Dual ring chainguide question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Dual ring chainguide question

So I'm sick of my chain falling to the granny all the time. Will a dual-ring guide help this? I rarely if ever have it fall to the BB. Seems like 25 bucks for a Stinger to solve this would be great... but with no "top" guide will the chain stay on the middle ring? Do I need the Dewlie instead?

Peace,
    andy

StraightOuttaCompton
    go single ring in the front, looks better and is lighter. Then just get a different chainring to match the gearing you want.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

N* Bomber Crew
    If you have your gear selector set to the 2nd ring, and it falls into the granny ring on its own, without any big hits or drops you encounter while riding, that is a tuning problem within your derailleur.

If you have your gear selector set to the 2nd ring, and you hit a big rock, or drop, or jump and if slips to the inside, then yes, a chainguide will help.

I'm sorry if I am confusing you, but your problem sounds like it could be bad tuning on your behalf with your drivetrain.

Either way, you SHOULD get some sort of Dual Ring Chainguide if you are riding freeride or downhill. I highly recommend the e13 DRS. I had one a few years back and had good experiences, its worth the extra coin.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    No tuning problem - it's only on drops or wicked rough trail. It doesn't happen while pedaling.

And I would love to have a single ring setup but I can't pedal my 40 pound bike up a 2000 foot Colorado climb without that granny gear (I don't just shuttle)...and a 32 tooth middle ring is already too small if I wanna pick up any real speed.

Out of curiosity, how is the E13 better than the Stinger? I don't need a bash cuz I got one and the Stinger seems to get good reviews. For about a fifth of the price. Just wanna be sure the bottom roller will keep me on the middle ring...

mtbr member
    From what you are describing a stinger very well may cure your problems as it will keep a bit more tension on the chain at all times and prevent the dropping in the rough stuff.

However, the E13 DRS is a really nice system that you could switch to if the stinger does not work out.

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by andykrow
    No tuning problem - it's only on drops or wicked rough trail. It doesn't happen while pedaling.

And I would love to have a single ring setup but I can't pedal my 40 pound bike up a 2000 foot Colorado climb without that granny gear (I don't just shuttle)...and a 32 tooth middle ring is already too small if I wanna pick up any real speed.

Out of curiosity, how is the E13 better than the Stinger? I don't need a bash cuz I got one and the Stinger seems to get good reviews. For about a fifth of the price. Just wanna be sure the bottom roller will keep me on the middle ring...

For the price it's impossible to beat the stinger. They're just so cheap & simple. I have them on both my freeride bike, and hardtail. My GF has one on her squish bike too. The DRS looks pretty cool, but I could never afford three of those. I had a problem dropping the chain only on bigger hits like you, so I tried one and love 'em.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    So is that guide on the top of the dewlie good for anything? Seems like in order to clear the derailleur and allow the chain to shift it would be useless. I'm going stinger...

mtbr member
    So is that guide on the top of the dewlie good for anything? Seems like in order to clear the derailleur and allow the chain to shift it would be useless. I'm going stinger...
    There is no "guide" on the top of the DRS, only on the bottom. The DRS is built much more heavy duty then the stinger and will be able to take a fairly substantial hit before self destructing. The same can not be said with the stinger. However if you generally do not hit a lot of stuff down near the bb area the stinger should be fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I meant the Blackspire Dewlie, which does have an upper guide/slider thing.

That is a good point about durability though. Colorado's darn rocky and my front tire tosses rocks like crazy.

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    There is no "guide" on the top of the DRS, only on the bottom. The DRS is built much more heavy duty then the stinger and will be able to take a fairly substantial hit before self destructing. The same can not be said with the stinger. However if you generally do not hit a lot of stuff down near the bb area the stinger should be fine.

Good point. the Stinger can be bent, but a properly set up one should sit slightly higher than the low point on your bashring in a tough spot to hit. The DRS has that benefit over all traditional CG lower rollers.

Still, I can break 4 or 5 stingers for the cost of one DRS

hmmmm
    i just put a E.13 DRS on my bike and lovin it. super tough, super easy to set up and reall quiet.

but expensive.... i'd go with the stinger if price is an issue and if you bust it up put a DRS on there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i'm running an e13 DRS (and have been for about 5 months now). Haven't dropped a chain once, shifts perfectly. Couldn't be more happy with it

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Anyone use the DRS (or stinger for that matter...) with a dropped chainstay? I ride a Brodie and it has a chainstay similar to a Kona down by the BB. I notice the SRS has a separate model (SRSW) for this but the DRS only comes in one version.

Thanks for all the replies!

EastBaySteez
    Heim 2 ring guide.
    No need for the weight and bulkiness of the DRS.

I ran one for a year, that thing saw so much abuse and neglect and it still begged for more.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

hmmmm
    Anyone use the DRS (or stinger for that matter...) with a dropped chainstay? I ride a Brodie and it has a chainstay similar to a Kona down by the BB. I notice the SRS has a separate model (SRSW) for this but the DRS only comes in one version.

Thanks for all the replies!

if its similar to the Kona I run a DRS on my kona with no probs, like i said before, works like a charm

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm riding an '07 Kona Shred. I was looking at the e.13 DRS and the Blackspire Dual-Ring Stinger.

The price for the DRS is $112ish while the Blackspire Dual-Ring Stinger is about $20. Being on a budget, I bought the BB mount version of the Blackspire.

I'm buying it in hopes of reducing chainslap and hopefully even the occasional chain-suck. I put in my order on Beyondbikes today, so we'll see how it turns out.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Heim 2 ring guide.
    No need for the weight and bulkiness of the DRS.

I ran one for a year, that thing saw so much abuse and neglect and it still begged for more.
    Bulkiness of the DRS? Where'd you get that?...

The new back-plate is drilled to save weight, the soft roller protect the chain on BOTH rings, and its a pretty minimalist design.

As others have said, its a very tough chain-guide, and its VERY easy to keep running, just oil the roller now and then. If you want even more protection, you could get a "Wicked Racing" top derailleur guide, so essentially you have a full chain-guide setup.

However, I'm sure most of the solutions given in this thread will provide help to your problem. I just like the DRS, yes it is pricey, but it is very worth it.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks again for all the advice...

mattaphore - let me know how it goes with that stinger. My Brodie has a very similar chainstay near the BB. What rings are you running? My setup is 36-24. If anything that should push the guide out past the chainstay a bit.

I'm liking the stinger route to begin with. If I trash that thing I'll know DRS is the way...

i drink shower water
    I have a e 13 DRS that i am not using and will probably never use. if you want it PM me and its yours for 10 bucks + shipping.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    PM in your box...

Members who have read this thread: 0