Dual HSCV in Z1FR?- Mtbr.com
    customized
    Sep 2003

Dual HSCV in Z1FR?

What difference from stock would you get with this upgrade? Will there be a noticable performance increase?

Please disregard the cost of the top caps and dampeners. I don't use ETA all that much so no need for that either. I have another set of springs for each. This is a question about performace not money or practicality.

Louis

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    What difference from stock would you get with this upgrade? Will there be a noticable performance increase?

Please disregard the cost of the top caps and dampeners. I don't use ETA all that much so no need for that either. I have another set of springs for each. This is a question about performace not money or practicality.

Louis
    i would say so you could get a more exact adjustment. i would like to look into this, i also own a z1 and dont use the stupid eta knob either.
    life aint nothin but bitches and money.................

TNC
    noMAD man

Like earlier Z1s?

Louis
    You'd think it would be like the older Z1s which I believe were set up this way. My '02 Super T has dual HSCV carts as well as my '02 Monster. I have a couple of Z150 SLs, and I'd like to experiment with an HSCV cart in one of the legs to get an ulta-tuneable combination setup. I don't use the ECC on these forks other than for the rebound adjustment, and I've never used travel adjust even like my Firefly had. I'm pretty sure I could put an '04 Z150 coil/HSCV setup from one of those legs into mine to get the setup I'd like to try.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Yeah, you would think the fork would be more controlled. I have read that Super Ts had two at one point but Marzocchi went to one. I also thought some of the shivers have two. Those are supposed to be extremely well damped.

According to Marzocchi, those old forks had one cart that only did Rebound and the other only did compression. Apparently the 888 is this way also. One side HSCV compression, the other side is HSCV rebound. Our forks apparanty do both in one cart. This makes no sense as HSCV is a compression valve. Not sure about this. I am sure the experts will chime in soon.

mtbr member
    Yeah, you would think the fork would be more controlled. I have read that Super Ts had two at one point but Marzocchi went to one. I also thought some of the shivers have two. Those are supposed to be extremely well damped.

According to Marzocchi, those old forks had one cart that only did Rebound and the other only did compression. Apparently the 888 is this way also. One side HSCV compression, the other side is HSCV rebound. Our forks apparanty do both in one cart. This makes no sense as HSCV is a compression valve. Not sure about this. I am sure the experts will chime in soon.
    The HSCV cart handles both compression and rebound accept in the 888 and '03 and newer Monster T. I have had an '02 & '03 Super T with dual hscv carts and an '04 Super T with a single hscv cart. The dual cart does add a lot more highspeed compression damping. In the '02 it was perfect. In the '03 the larger air volume required running 5 wt. oil to get the fork to feel smooth on the small stuff. (note: larger air volume =s more progression). The '04 is super supple, but also bobs more than an '03.

You could install a 2nd hscv in a Z1 FR. This would be good if you want to run soft springs, but not bottom on spiking hits. This would add a small amount of additional bottoming control for drops, but only a small amount. You will probably end up running 5 wt. oil to make it really supple.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup: