Dual crown on coiler- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Dual crown on coiler

What do you guys think about a dual crown on a 05 coiler.. My current settup is a z1 fr1 and its starting to not like what I do to it.. I really cant afford to upgrade to a bigger travel bike. Im a pretty smooth rider, and only weigh 165 so im pretty gentle on my bike, i manage to do 10-15ft drops(max-- rarely do things this big- just the special ocasion) on my bike as it is now, the rear doesnt seem like its got an issue with this size drops, it feels more like the z1 is kinda at its max and im wondering if just throwing a dual crown(super T maybe) or 66 on the front would let me step it up to the next level. I can also throw a 2.25" stroke shock on the rear to get a lil extra rear travel, I have a feeling that i'd be satisfied with this, but id like to know if any of you guys have experience with this(IE, ridden or owned a coiler with such settup) -- by the way, I do mostly downhill/freeriding, the z1 feels mint for all the DH trails(with the exception of brake bumps), its mostly just lacking on the drops.. - i also do some trail riding, but I have no issue pedaling a beast uphill- just gonna make me stronger.. Thanks
    Nick

banned
    Well then screw it! Get the 66!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    seems like the 66 might be the way to go- and just ditch the z1- the original plan was to get a dual crown, and just swap the z1 and dc depending on the riding im doing... i want something thats PLUSH, and takes big hits and soaks em up nicely... if I have to go to a super T or even 888 i would... (although triple 8 would f my geo up pretty bad).. I dont want to get a 66 and find out its not all that much more than my z1..
    Nick

Meh.
    Kona gives the OK for DCs on the Coiler. Get the 2oo6 66, the 2oo5 is just too tall.

Glad to Be Alive
    I ran a SuperT ....I have seen Monsters and Shivers on the 02 Stinky's which are the same as the later Coilers

go for it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

My arm hurts a little
    Been there done that. 04 Colier, 7inch Super T. but had 8inch ride height. Rode DH fine, did drops fine. Well untill everything on the bike broke but the fork.

Just to warn you Hard DH on this bike with this setup will only last a little while because your parts just start to blow up. I blew up everything!!!!!

Here's my Old Bitoch!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I ran a SuperT ....I have seen Monsters and Shivers on the 02 Stinky's which are the same as the later Coilers

go for it
    Coilers have a longer TT than the Stinky.

Parts will start to fail, but the frame will take the DC just fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've thinkin' about getting a coiler and throwing a jr.t on it. checked it over with many different people from different companies and they all say full speed ahead. sounds awesome!

mtbr member
    i.m.o.66 is the best option i know it aint 05 but it was origanally a coiler primo 05 with the same forks but a problem arose but it sorted now
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    cool.. if i can find a good deal, ill probably do it.. im thinking super t or if i can find one cheap enuff a 66.. At this point im leaning a bit more towards a super just cause i have it stuck in my head that a 66 wont be a lot different than my z1(which i know prob isnt true) I was even thinking that a 06 triple 8 wouldnt be so bad.. only an inch taller than my z1, I could handle that(would be good), but then i snapped back to reality, realized thats probly way too much fork for me and the bike..(weight wise) and too much money.. plus a super t i could live with just leaving it on for most trail rides too..
    Nick

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Coilers have a longer TT than the Stinky.

Parts will start to fail, but the frame will take the DC just fine.
    actually the TT is the same as the 02 stinkys (I am pretty sure)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Shwing
    Quote Originally Posted by ncg53
    cool.. if i can find a good deal, ill probably do it.. im thinking super t or if i can find one cheap enuff a 66.. At this point im leaning a bit more towards a super just cause i have it stuck in my head that a 66 wont be a lot different than my z1(which i know prob isnt true) I was even thinking that a 06 triple 8 wouldnt be so bad.. only an inch taller than my z1, I could handle that(would be good), but then i snapped back to reality, realized thats probly way too much fork for me and the bike..(weight wise) and too much money.. plus a super t i could live with just leaving it on for most trail rides too..
    Nick
    Ye i had a 2004 kona coiler and i threw on an 03 super t. worked great. the rear shock was the only thing that gave me trouble.
    Nothing Else Matters...

Members who have read this thread: 0