DU needle bearing shock bushings! Really good find.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

DU needle bearing shock bushings! Really good find.

Didnt realize there was that much drag on the stock DU bushing till i swapped them out today. I remember another manufacturer was doing this at one point and if I remember it was Avalanche.
    I figured for $19.99 installed it was worth it to see, if it didnt work then ehhh it still holds the shock in.

Anyhow a buddy told me of a shop thats near his place of work and it turned out pretty good. Small with lots of stuff, Alan (owner) ordered a XL jedi so we started BSn and then he popped in back and came out with this. He installed one on his shock.

Well it works really well, I thought Alan turned my comp down a couple of clicks open. I know he didint I was standing right there and obviousley took pics but it went down alot easier. I wanted to do both ends and he said just the end with the most significant movement, the other end barely moves but a couple of degrees and would wear a flat spot eventually.

Anyhow I just figured it was a good find, it definently made a difference right off the bat as far as feel and ease of shock pivot.

Just a cool find and figured Id throw it out there!
    Alan, www.velomech.net not much of a site but he has a nice high end shop as well as trinkets, schwalbes (good price call only), King etc... Cool guy hell of a rider.

Old DU bushing

New DU bushing with needle bearings

Special press tools are needed to press it in, not to say others dont have the DU one but the one for the bearings is different then the DU one.

Alan charges $19.95 as well but if you send your shock in he'll install for free.

Yes I paid retail I just thought it was pretty damn slick so Id share it.:thumb:

I did get free install though!
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

Glad to Be Alive
    pretty
    cool....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    pretty
    cool....
    Hey BI found them in Boise so either I got all giddy to find anything cool or its pretty neat LOL.
    No it actually smoothed out the back end alot, it takes alot less to get it to push down over all. I upped the comp at the bike park today, had too. it felt too quick.

Nice M6 BTW!
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Awesome find Trav.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92SE-R
    Awesome find Trav.
    Thanks man!
    My Sponsor House

Commit or eat sh!t
    Actually, it's been out for a while. Only available for now in 22mm spacing, which includes Turner and Jedi, among others. Bunch of good reviews in the Turner forum.

I asked Chris @ Enduro as to when the other sizes will be available, and he never got back to me.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id275.html

Pivotal figure
    Yep, we just got those in last week and I couldn't believe what a difference it made. Rear wheel tracks noticeably better thru chop, cornering is unreal. Most economical upgrade I can think of.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Locs on Spokez
    Ahhhhhh It's going to take soooo much work to make mine fit in my CCDB eyelets....

I think imma have to sand down my DU bushings so that I can press the needle bearing into that. Better be worth it hahahah
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

Its got what plants crave
    Am I the only one that thinks that needle bearings may not be ideal in this application?
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Am I the only one that thinks that needle bearings may not be ideal in this application?
    Boss does it, theres another high end shock company doing it as well as avalanche did.
    We are shuttling today and I was beating it at the bike park yesterday Ill post up thoughts and time review as well. If its eeehhhh than it was $20 if its worth it then right on!

I will say it was alot more supple on the chatter yesterday as well as smoother. The back end felt more alive, I did have to add a little comp as it was too quick after install.

Bos stoy shock
    My Sponsor House

Picture Unrelated
    No, you're not.

Bearings are made to rotate, not for static loading. A great concept and I'm interested to find out how well they hold up.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    No, you're not.

Bearings are made to rotate, not for static loading. A great concept and I'm interested to find out how well they hold up.

Needle bearings are made for low rotation high force loads, so they are the best bearing choice for this application.
    I installed one of these kits on my trailbike a few weeks back, and no question it improved the sensitivity of the suspension. It makes an air shock feel more like a coil off the top of the stroke, very buttery.
    I am interested to see how the longevity is as well, this is my only concern with the kit. If the bearings can last as long as DU bushings, then this is a winner in my book.
    Time will tell.

mtbr member
    Don't moto bikes use needle bearings? Not that is exactly relevant to downhill, but motocross bikes do have relevant suspension movement to mountain bikes, and they take muchhh bigger loads of force.

trail fairy
    Been a thread here on Enduro's needle bearings for a while now with all positive results, plan to mount some up on the DHR

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=581373
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Picture Unrelated
    It's a dead horse that has been beaten many times before, but ball, needle, and roller bearings are made for rotation. Needles are clearly better suited to this application than balls, but I still see a possibility for the needles to deform under repeat loading since the force doesn't get much of a chance to be spread between several needles around the race. Anyway, I didn't mean to stir up some pissing match, I was just stating that I don't have full confidence in the system until I see it proven. I'm reading through the other thread now, and am very interested in spending the $20 to give it a shot. Worst case, having to buy another $3 bushing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggz
    Ahhhhhh It's going to take soooo much work to make mine fit in my CCDB eyelets....

I think imma have to sand down my DU bushings so that I can press the needle bearing into that. Better be worth it hahahah

I'm guessing you have a wide shock mount bolt so you don't have the spherical eyelet bearing thet cane Creek uses?

The spherical eyelet bearings last a really ling time, but they're too big to fit in other shocks. Curnutt had had em for over 10 years.

Krispy
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

Its got what plants crave
    It's a dead horse that has been beaten many times before, but ball, needle, and roller bearings are made for rotation. Needles are clearly better suited to this application than balls, but I still see a possibility for the needles to deform under repeat loading since the force doesn't get much of a chance to be spread between several needles around the race. Anyway, I didn't mean to stir up some pissing match, I was just stating that I don't have full confidence in the system until I see it proven. I'm reading through the other thread now, and am very interested in spending the $20 to give it a shot. Worst case, having to buy another $3 bushing.
    I also have my doubts about it's ability to remain sealed and greased. But who knows, it might turn out to be a great idea, it's just unconventional.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Locs on Spokez
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I'm guessing you have a wide shock mount bolt so you don't have the spherical eyelet bearing thet cane Creek uses?

The spherical eyelet bearings last a really ling time, but they're too big to fit in other shocks. Curnutt had had em for over 10 years.

Krispy
    Yah man
    My M6 has something like 37mm top width and 40mm on the bottom so no spherical eyelets for me. Another problem is the stock bushings are REALLY loose both with the pin in the eylet and the bolt in the pin, always have been that way. Kinda been pissing me off.... when I pick up the bike there's noticeable play in the shock eyelets. I was hoping the kit would help take some friction out from the bottom bushing since it has to rotate so much with the vpp link and take out the ridiculous amounts of play but now I can't do much hahah

Any tips? Should I just try to dremel out the bushing in the eyelet so it can fit the needle bearing? And how would you recommend to shim the needle bearing pin on the 8mm shock bolt, it has some play in it as well.

Cheers

I bike long tyme.
    How ironic...I was just thinking about heading down to Akron bearing tomorrow to see what I could find after playing around with the Formula One last night thinking about how much drag there is at the shock mounting points. Very cool piece.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

I bike long tyme.
    Does this bearing kit use a standard diameter pin that would normally fit through a shock's stock bushing? If so, I'm failing to see what the issue is with width to fit an application other than 22mm. Just use the pin that came off your shock and space accordingly on either side of the eyelets over the pin to keep the shock centered with whatever you can find...stainless/aluminum sleeves cut to fit....likely the same sleeves you're probably using now on your stock setup. Correct me if I'm wrong....the needle bearing rotates around the pin. The pin is fixed stationary in place between the frame mounts once torqued to spec. The darker anodized pieces look to be nothing but spacers to keep things centered. If they are bearings critical to smooth operation, they could still be used with some creative shimming. Can anyone confirm the kit's pin diameter?

Locs on Spokez

Cut bushings to size, space between pin, done.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Cut bushings to size, space between pin, done.
    Wouldn't that be to flexible? Shouldn't you have to replace the axle with the length equal to "A" like how Fox does it?

gnar, brah
    The new 2010 Specialized Enduro and Stumpjumper effectively replace a DU bushing with a bearing at the activated end of the shock. Instead of an eyelet, they have a yoke that interfaces with the horst link with a bearing. So similar concept really. Seems like a good idea.
    Trestle Bike Park

Locs on Spokez
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    Wouldn't that be to flexible? Shouldn't you have to replace the axle with the length equal to "A" like how Fox does it?
    Nah

moaaar shimz
    Nah
    Yes you have to if A becomes bigger than, lets say, 35 mm. A friend has a Banshee Rune and the shock mount ID at the + rotation point is like 40mm and Chris from Enduro told him not to machine some spacers because the whole setup would flex. I have a frame mount ID of 25.12 mm so I just need a couple of washers instead of spacers.

Chilling out
    It would flex, but would it flex less than alu split-alu reducers in the same situation?

My Quasi-Moto has, IIRC, about a 44mm width between the link plates that the bolt passes thru for the rear shock eyelet. When I first got the bike I went through reducer hat pairs fairly regularly and DU bushings very quickly.

I soon found the 3-piece setup which uses the steel sleeve all the way across with alu centering spacers, and that was MUCH better - however the steel sleeve had a tendency to wear into the aluminum of the rocker plates.

Last year I moved to the BETD two-piece, which IMO is even better yet, because the outers of the sleeve are larger where the link plate hits the sleeve (on one side at least), and the spacer on the other side was camfered so that it hit better against the DU, allowing it to move more vs the DU, preventing wear on the link plate.

I'd be super willing to try the spacer approach with the Enduro kit, but would need to confirm that the outer sides of the Enduro kit are meant to rotate (I *think* they are) vs the bearing because that would end up giving me an assembled but relatively immobile structure all the way across and cease all wear on my link plates. :^)

Stay thirsty my friends
    I never understood why the mfg's continue to use bushings, cheap I guess. I'm doing this mod to my Session 88DH now that I know of a supplier, thanks for the headsup!
    "Say good night to the bad guy."
    Tony Montana
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_TE...eature=related

Chilling out
    I just noticed that Enduro is getting a 40mm wide kit ready, i'm SOOO going to get one as soon as I can. I wonder if they'd do a pre-order list?

My arm hurts a little
    Seems like it would work quite well. Don't see many side loads going threw that point and no thrust washers.

Thrust washers & side load = Fail
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    I just noticed that Enduro is getting a 40mm wide kit ready, i'm SOOO going to get one as soon as I can. I wonder if they'd do a pre-order list?
    I wonder if one could grind that down to work on other frames as well....

Your retarded
    U-joints in the drive train of vehicles use needle bearings between the cap and body. In that application, there is little to sometimes no rotation between the cap and body, they experience very high loads, and they still last for years. As long as Enduro is using the correct materials at the correct tolerances and hardnesses and everything is lubed properly, these puppies should last a pretty long time.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    I'm curious how much these could actually improve things compared to standard bushings. Did those of you who noticed an improvement, check to see how much stiction you had with your bushings before you made the switch? If I disconnect one end of my shock, the other end rotates freely around the pivot bolt. If yours does not, it can probably be fixed with a little grease. So, I'm wondering if those people who noticed a difference maybe just had dirty bushings when they switched.

One other note: I would expect needle bearings to be more sensitive to dirt and contamination than a bushing.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    U-joints in the drive train of vehicles use needle bearings between the cap and body. In that application, there is little to sometimes no rotation between the cap and body, they experience very high loads, and they still last for years. As long as Enduro is using the correct materials at the correct tolerances and hardnesses and everything is lubed properly, these puppies should last a pretty long time.
    Combine that with the fact that the part that actually wears out only costs $5 to replace. Exactly the same as a DU. The reducer/race for the needle bearings should last a very long time.

People could also try rotating the needle bearing 180 degrees every few months to change the rollers being hammered the most.

mtbr member
    even if a bushing rotates smooth its going to multiply any stiction with the load added when riding so its still going to have a reasonable amount of drag.
    Bearings will roll smooth even under load so as it increases it wont effect the movement much.

As far as did I notice a difference YES no questions asked it was as if he opend my comp up.
    Last edited by bullcrew; 02-11-2010 at 03:50 PM.
    My Sponsor House

Locs on Spokez
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Are you serious? God damnit I wasted $40 on this ****ing **** and now I need to waste 40 more

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    even if a bushing rotates smooth its going to multiply any stiction with the load added when riding so its still going to have a reasonable amount of drag.
    Bearings will roll smooth even under load so as it increases it wont effect the movement much.

As far as did I notice a difference YES no wuestions asked it was as if he opend my comp up.
    Exactly, putting pressure on the DU increases friction many fold. I found that the needle bearing kit improves plushness throughout the entire stoke of the shock. Not just the top.

I'm more of a dog person
    I also have my doubts about it's ability to remain sealed and greased. But who knows, it might turn out to be a great idea, it's just unconventional.
    I cam't really understand why so many people are expressing doubt about the durability of this system. the shock eyelets are just another 2 pivots on the suspension system, of which most bike manufacturers already use bearings that don't make a full rotation. bearings that are designed for this use are called "full complement" and don't use a retainer cage between the balls or needles. this way more balls or needles are able to be packed between the races and are able to sustain considerable more loads. most suspension pivots use ball bearings and hold up to the intended use well enough that they continue to be used. the shock eyelet kit is a full complement needle bearing design which should, on paper, hold up better than the rest of the suspension pivot bearings already do. I wouldn't call it unconventional.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JawChuck
    I never understood why the mfg's continue to use bushings, cheap I guess. I'm doing this mod to my Session 88DH now that I know of a supplier, thanks for the headsup!
    Lighter, higher static load capacity, cheaper, no need to grease, contaminant and chemical resistant etc etc

moaaar shimz
    Can someone measure for me the external diameter of the steel axle? Or the diameter of the shaft that goes through the needle bearing in the installation tool?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Can someone measure for me the external diameter of the steel axle? Or the diameter of the shaft that goes through the needle bearing in the installation tool?
    Ill be by his shop tomorrow Ill get you a measurement! (if it doesnt pop up first.)
    My Sponsor House

moaaar shimz
    Thanks

Locs on Spokez
    If anyone wants the kit I'll sell mine

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    11mm

I bike long tyme.
    Without ripping my shock off to measure....what is the diameter of the pin/axle on a standard bushing setup? Hopefully it's the same that way you could just use the axle off your stock shock and not have to worry about width fitment as much

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Secace
    Without ripping my shock off to measure....what is the diameter of the pin/axle on a standard bushing setup? Hopefully it's the same that way you could just use the axle off your stock shock and not have to worry about width fitment as much

12.7mm (0.5 in) for Fox, zochhi, Elka and some RS; and 12mm for Manitou, some RS and others. I really doubt you can use your stock axle since the needle bearing should be thicker than a DU bushing, hence you´ll need a slighly thiner axle.

The tool meassures 11mm, as a previous poster said, so I think the axle should be around 11.5mm

Additional to this, Enduro axle is supposed to be made from a differente hardness for durability purposses; a hardness similar to that used on tools (rockwell hardness) and above stainless steel which is the material used on traditional axles.

EDIT: may the axle itself is what meassured 11mm, not the tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    ...es como acomodarte los calzones, seguro lo puede hacer alguien pero es mejor que lo haga uno mismo

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    11mm
    Thanks!

moaaar shimz
    I just came back from testing my bike with the needle bearing installed and performance gained was significant. The needle bearing made my shock feel twice as smooth, took the edge off from most of the bumps that were more noticable without it and overall made me end my ride with a big grin on my face. They are totally worth it, especially if your suspension link that actuates the shock rotates considerably.

mtbr member
    I just came back from testing my bike with the needle bearing installed and performance gained was significant. The needle bearing made my shock feel twice as smooth, took the edge off from most of the bumps that were more noticable without it and overall made me end my ride with a big grin on my face. They are totally worth it, especially if your suspension link that actuates the shock rotates considerably.

Did you just do one or both?

moaaar shimz
    Only one, the front will be replaced with a polymer bushing.

Roll on Spring Time!
    The bushing on my DHX is done and the Fox agent in Korea wants to rip me off completely. They wont supply me with a bushing and want to charge a fortune in labour. This sounds like and eggcelent option. Now to get it all shipped internationaly.
    I take it the kit is complete with bearing, tool for fitting and the axle. So its pretty much ready to go? My bolt will stay the same?

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo
    The bushing on my DHX is done and the Fox agent in Korea wants to rip me off completely. They wont supply me with a bushing and want to charge a fortune in labour. This sounds like and eggcelent option. Now to get it all shipped internationaly.
    I take it the kit is complete with bearing, tool for fitting and the axle. So its pretty much ready to go? My bolt will stay the same?
    You use the same bolt. Assuming that the 22mm kit will fit your bike, you need to order 1 or 2 (depending on how many bushings you will be replacing). Tool kit is extra (something like $50), or you can use sockets, etc. with a vice or c-clamp to do it yourself.

mtbr member
    Just my 2 pennies worth on if they'll hold up. I work at a prototype machine shop and we build our own bearings to use in various applications. You will never put enough strain on a needle bearing, when on a MTB, to make it fail. The bike will fail around the bearing. The aluminum body of the shock will deform before that bearing dies. Keep it sealed and lubed and it is bulletproof. A hint on the seals: no need for some fancy one way seals. An O-ring pressed(tightly) between the bearing and the flange is all you need. When you inspect your bike for wear, you will be able to see if the o-rings are cracking. They will last a long time and are a few cents to replace. As far as buying a kit, look online at places like McMaster- Carr for the bearings. If they don't have the size you need, they don't make it. Most needle bearings that size are around $8.00. You can either buy the o-rings from them or hit an auto parts store. They also sell sleeves and bushings so you can set it up for your application. $20.00 for the kit is fair, but you can do better by spending time on Carr's site and looking up everything yourself. Great place for many other things you thought you could never get. I'm not a pro rider but I am an engineer and machinist. Always remember: if it has been built, it can always be built better!

OK, so it was more than 2 cents....
    So other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

mtbr member
    One more thing on the above supplier. They have springs galore, along with cable, seals abd bushings. You'll be surprized what you can find there.OK, I'm done now...
    So other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

mtbr member

Yep just got done with riding in the mtns (fricking ground was frozen 22 degrees so was the freeride line) and then in the valley. Amazing at how smooth it makes it as well as quick moving...

I rode locally but this weekend we headed up North for shuttling and some freeride and no issues at all. Super happy!!!!
    My Sponsor House

Members who have read this thread: 0