DT Swiss hubs?- Mtbr.com

Thread: DT Swiss hubs?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New question here. DT Swiss hubs?

I am thinking of getting rid of the stock spesh hubs on my demo and was thinking of getting Dt swiss 330 hubs. I am not that heavy so I am not worried about them being super strong. What do you think? Also how much noise do these make?
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    Get some sexy I9's.

Meh.
    DT Swiss hubs don't make a whole lot of racket.

If you're looking for noise... King makes an angry buzz. Hadley makes a quality hub with lots of engagement. Sun Ringle hubs can hold their in clicking.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    IMO, I've never been satisfied with DT's freehub engagement. Too much movement in the pedals before you move. The pawl system they use is really tough though... The noise is directly related to how much lube you have in there. I made my older FR hubs (now called the 440) almost silent with a bit of grease.

I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but get Hadleys. They are pretty light, you can buy them in any size, or configuration under the sun, and they look pimp.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

banned
    If you have a 240, 340, or 440/540, you don't have pawls. You have the Hugi star ratchet system.

There is no pawl or anything even close to resembling a pawl system in them.

Unshaven Yak
    Hope pro-II's also give a pretty solid buzz.
    If you can, get one. You can bild it up to be a kinda lite trail slaying,dirt surfin, 40 mile ride single track super mama. this bike is the cutting edge of the sport. "spred the groove".

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    If you have a 240, 340, or 440/540, you don't have pawls. You have the Hugi star ratchet system.

There is no pawl or anything even close to resembling a pawl system in them.
    Easssy killer, I just didn't want to get all techy on everyone... Star Ratchet. That's why I said it was a tougher "pawl" system than most. Also the reason behind their crappy engagement.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Glad to Be Alive
    hadleys
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Easssy killer, I just didn't want to get all techy on everyone... Star Ratchet. That's why I said it was a tougher "pawl" system than most. Also the reason behind their crappy engagement.
    But it's not a pawl. A pawl is a pawl.

The engagement is not crappy. On the contrary, the Hugi Star Ratchet design can handle an incredible amount of torque. It's what I recommend for heavier riders due to its high torque capacity.

So I'm not sure about your definition of "crappy" for their engagement. They may not be as fast as other hubs on the market (a feature that's only important on the internet), but they are certainly high end, well made, and can stand a lot of torque and shock loads.

Meh.
    Having very little "float" between engagement is nice for street and trials riding. I absolutely hate the feeling of my feet lurching forward with no resistance when trying to do a pedal kick.

mud slinger

Good job! another hope pro 11 vote

if your after a hub that has a decent sounding clickity click click that is,engagments good and suits my riding needs fine imo,
    "do the things you fear and the death of fear is certain"

mtbr member
    DT swiss is one of the only other hubs on the market that cold forges their hub body. Freaking tough as he!!. No cracked hub shells, no broken spoke holes... nothing like that.

And they are the easiest to service on the market. No special tools, no stupid lock nuts, comes apart in under 3 minutes... and the list goes on.

Lastly not to mention that they use freakin' swiss bearings. Unlike most who use Chinese bearings. On the hierarchy they are better than the Japanese bearings.

Unfortunately I will be selling mine because I sold the frame it went to. So any one wanting some DT Swiss Hugi FR 150X12mm hub PM me.
    Bikeless Rider

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrm
    DT swiss is one of the only other hubs on the market that cold forges their hub body. Freaking tough as he!!. No cracked hub shells, no broken spoke holes... nothing like that.

And they are the easiest to service on the market. No special tools, no stupid lock nuts, comes apart in under 3 minutes... and the list goes on.

Lastly not to mention that they use freakin' swiss bearings. Unlike most who use Chinese bearings. On the hierarchy they are better than the Japanese bearings.

Unfortunately I will be selling mine because I sold the frame it went to. So any one wanting some DT Swiss Hugi FR 150X12mm hub PM me.
    Being an owner of 240s, a 340, and a set of ProII's, I will say the ProII is easier and faster to service, by far. The DT is excellent, however. Some special tools are needed for certain steps, but anything can be rigged for this. I agree on the other points. Just look inside once.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    How are industry nine hubs? I just realized how sick these wheels are.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

Members who have read this thread: 0