DT Onyx Rear Hub: Verdict?- Mtbr.com
    Bike Hustler

DT Onyx Rear Hub: Verdict?

hey guys,

I'm down to chossing between Da Bomb Headspin 10mm bolt through or a DT onyx QR for a new rear hub.

any suggestions? My budget is tops $100 used or new. must be avalable in a 32 hole/135mm /QR or 10mm axle version.
    SHAM-WOW

mtbr member
    I have an Onyx hub that I used for DH one year and now it's on my son's DS bike. No problems at all.

If you want the solid axle option go with a Shimano Deore ot LX hub. I did that to my Tazer.
    Turn your head and cough.

mtbr member

Good job! onyx

I've been running the onyx hubs on my Azonic saber for 2.5 seasons now and have not had any problems with the hubs at all. I did have to replace the rear QR skewer with a XT skewer, the DT skewer would not stay tight! read as: kept moving in the dropouts no matter how tight I closed it, but once I replaced it with the XT they have been great.
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw1
    I've been running the onyx hubs on my Azonic saber for 2.5 seasons now and have not had any problems with the hubs at all. I did have to replace the rear QR skewer with a XT skewer, the DT skewer would not stay tight! read as: kept moving in the dropouts no matter how tight I closed it, but once I replaced it with the XT they have been great.
    I've had that issue with DT skewers as well. From what I have heard in recently researching hubs and wheels, the Onyx are great. If you can find a killer deal on the 340 it would be even better since its uses the start ratchet system. Hope Bulbs are also very nice if you can get a deal there. With a c note to spend on the hub, you might be able to do something nicer than the Onyx but I don't think you'd need to.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

El Malo

Onyx...

I've had the DT Onyx laced to a D321 on my Heckler since April '04 for hundreds of XC miles and plenty of Whistler trips.

Only this last December I found that one of the two pawls in the set had broken while I was half way into my ride. I was forced to pedal to return to the car but that marred the engagement points on the freehub.
    I thought I'd have to replace the pawl/spring set = $12 and the Freehub body $32.
    I tried replacing the pawl set to see how it'd go and so far it's been flawless...

Very durable and reliable hub otherwise... mine came with the XT skewer.
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "

Pro Crastinator
    i've been running one on the back of my DJ bike for like 5 years now. never a single issue....

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I've had the DT Onyx laced to a D321 on my Heckler since April '04 for hundreds of XC miles and plenty of Whistler trips.

Only this last December I found that one of the two pawls in the set had broken while I was half way into my ride. I was forced to pedal to return to the car but that marred the engagement points on the freehub.
    I thought I'd have to replace the pawl/spring set = $12 and the Freehub body $32.
    I tried replacing the pawl set to see how it'd go and so far it's been flawless...

Very durable and reliable hub otherwise... mine came with the XT skewer.
    Hey, how do those compare to Shimanos for engagement??
    Check my Site

Members who have read this thread: 0